How many hams do we have on the Forum - Revisited?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Do you have a Ham (Amateur) Radio Operator License?

Yes.
82%
No, but I'm studying to take the exam(s) now.
2%
No, but I'm considering getting one.
16%

Total votes: 51

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 3

Re: How many hams do we have on the Forum - Revisited?

Post by MadMonkey »

Any recommendations on a relatively inexpensive setup for home? My dad used to have an awesome base station but it was sold off after he passed on.

I'm pretty much using my license for video equipment on my RC planes and multicopters. I really need a radio.

Rather do a non-handheld first. Just something to get my feet wet. I've had my license for about 12 years but still haven't owned a radio "rlol"
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oohrah »

N3FKV. Mostly a satellite guy.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 6

Post by JALLEN »

MadMonkey wrote:Any recommendations on a relatively inexpensive setup for home? My dad used to have an awesome base station but it was sold off after he passed on.

I'm pretty much using my license for video equipment on my RC planes and multicopters. I really need a radio.

Rather do a non-handheld first. Just something to get my feet wet. I've had my license for about 12 years but still haven't owned a radio "rlol"
You need something for an antenna. What are your choices? Do you have room for a horizontal wire, a a decent height 30-40' or so? Depending on your land situation and budget, there are lots of choices. Having a good antenna makes everything else work so much better. Old Timers say that for every $100 you spend, put $90 into the antenna the rest into transmitting and receiving. That's pretty tough to do unless you spend a lot on an antenna but it illustrates the importance we place on having the best antennas possible.

You probably mean something on HF bands. There are lots of very good radios for sale, used, that are simple to operate. If you are interested in learning or have already learned Morse code, you can really find some great radios, most operate voice SSB, or CW code anyway. You need not spend a great deal of money to start either.

If you interested in VHF/UHF FM, you can buy a decent little radio for $100 on QRZ.com or at a hamfest, and in the DFW area they are held quite often I believe. There might even be a ham swipe meet. Get a simple antenna an talk on the repeaters in the area, if that is your cup of tea.

Try finding a ham club up there in the area and getting an "Elmer" to help you figure out what the choices are and how to implement them.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

JALLEN wrote:
Beiruty wrote:Internet plus Voice over IP and Video Conference killed the ham radio hobby.
Really. I hadn't noticed. There are more licensees than ever, more gear out there, more experimenters, more tinkerers, and to hear the pile ups these days, you sure wouldn't realize the hobby was killed.

When I was licensed in 1959, there wasn't nearly the breadth of activity one could get involved in, no satellites, almost no VHF, no repeaters, going mobile was a real challenge and expensive. There were no transistors, synthesized radios, handheld walkie-talkies or anything else, electronic keyers, almost no antenna restrictions, and much more.

I remember hauling probably 100 lbs of radio gear, about what I weighed then, up to the National Guard Armory to string up an antenna and get on the air to pass health and welfare traffic during one of the hurricanes when people fled away from the coast up this direction. I needed the Armory's electricity, too. Now you could do it with the radios in your pocket, no electricity from the Armory needed, no antennas!

What could you do back then? Well there was getting on the air on shortwave, build your own gear, experiment with antenna configurations, explore the new world of VHF/UHF, not very popular around here since there was nobody to talk to in range. There were traffic nets to pass National Traffic System traffic, DXers, of course and ragchewers. A few devoted all their on the air time to complaining about the new-fangled SSB mode ruining the airwaves.

Yes, you can talk to anyone in the world now for a few cents or dollars. Either the idea of sitting there in your house making direct contact all over the world by radio grabs you, or it doesn't.
I was speaking about my interest. Back in the days of civil war in Lebanon when there was no landlines or mobile phones (1983-to 1994), I had been involved in the VHF/UHF world, of course it was unlicensed and we used all available spectrum. Once we had decent sized mobile phone, our handheld and car-base transceivers became less attractive.

I still love "what is your favorite brand", Icom or (or name your brand). It is like Chevy and Ford. :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

mojohn
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojohn »

KF5ZMD here. New to HAM, just got a call sign too.

John

n5wd
Posts in topic: 13

Post by n5wd »

mojohn wrote:KF5ZMD here. New to HAM, just got a call sign too.

John
Congrats, John, and welcome to the fraternity!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

n5wd
Posts in topic: 13

Post by n5wd »

MadMonkey wrote:Any recommendations on a relatively inexpensive setup for home? My dad used to have an awesome base station but it was sold off after he passed on.

What kind of radio are you looking for? What license do you have? If it's a Technician, then you're limited to the VHF/UHF bands with a little bit of 10 meters thrown in. If you're planning to upgrade soon, then you can find a used radio that will cover you for today, and be useful after you upgrade your ticket. So many different possibilities ...
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

mojohn
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojohn »

Madmonkey might look for one at a swap meet, maybe...
Events and Swapfests
Regular Tailgates and exam sessions:
1st & 3rd Sat- Dallas West End & American Airlines 214-432-7665 http://www.sidewalksale.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1st Sat- Ft Worth TX J & W. Computer parking lot I-20 and Trail Lake Dr.
3rd Sat- Mar/Jun/Sep/Dec Humble TEAC ARC- Hugh W5FM@arrl.net 145.43(-)
Last Sat- KCOMM 10815 Gulfdale SA TX 210-344-3311 /home.satx.rr.com/kcomm/

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'd stay away from Ebay for Ham gear. The prices are absurd. I've seen modern radios with bids over MSRP and out-of-production gear that's way over-priced.

Are you looking for HF, or VHF and above?

Chas.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

If you want in inexpensive handheld with lots of bells and whistles, I would suggest the Wouxun units. They are even Type 90 FCC accepted for use on business bands (if you are licensed there). Main Trading Company in Paris Texas sells them and the owners are hams and great folks to deal with. http://www.mtcradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for an HF rig or mobile rig, I would look into Yeasu. I have a moved almost predominantly to that brand as their quality seems to stay up where it should be. You can find them across the country from various dealers for all about the same price.

And as Charles stated, stay away from eBay. Many of the sellers of new equipment are not authorized dealers and any warrenty from the manufacturer will likely not be honored.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 6

Post by JALLEN »

There is a Tentec Triton IV on QRZ.com ham ads for $395 with two filters and power supply. That's a pretty decent starter radio these days for HF and leaves lots of dough for antennas which is where you ought to spend the money.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Dori
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How many hams do we have on the Forum?

Post by Dori »

SRO1911 wrote:Got my call sign a few weeks ago and it was a tongue twister
What's so bad about Zulu Quebec Alpha? :lol:

What do you guys think about this for $40? " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Re: How many hams do we have on the Forum?

Post by Keith B »

Dori wrote:
SRO1911 wrote:Got my call sign a few weeks ago and it was a tongue twister
What's so bad about Zulu Quebec Alpha? :lol:

What do you guys think about this for $40? " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You get what you pay for in radios. The Baeofong, Wouxun, TTY, etc. Chinese radios are not as well made as the Japanese Yeasu, Kenwood, Icom, Alinco, etc. However, they do work and usually work decently. My Wouxun handhelds are good on power and both TX and RX audio. Reports I am seeing is the lifespan is shorter on the batteries and CPU's by about half, but at half the price you can upgrade to the latest model in a couple of years instead of waiting until the higher priced radio poops out.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Off-Topic”