Are you handing out candy this year?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

VMI77
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Are you handing out candy this year?

Post by VMI77 »

tqu9047 wrote: my wife a witch and myself a monster.
Where did you find the Pelosi and Obama costumes?
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

TheCytochromeC wrote:
mot7981 wrote:We'll pass out candy as always but have two bowls... One with the "good stuff" for the cute kids we enjoy seeing and one with dollar store junk we give to the older teens with nothing but a pillow case.
That's what I'm thinking. I'm going to have three bowls though. I'll be lowering candy from the balcony to trick or treaters though. It'll ensure they don't see what candy I have to offer and distract them while my room mates do the scaring. For the good ones, they get a quarter-pound Hershey bar. For the bad ones, I'm mixing my own awful recipe of Red-Hots, Mounds, Dots, Candy Corn and Twizzlers. Ugh, a concoction so disgusting it makes me cringe just thinking about it. I don't know if I can give that out with a straight face - oh that's right I won't.
You going to have a shotgun and blast off a round or two each time someone walks up your driveway?

Topic author
TheCytochromeC
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TheCytochromeC »

MeMelYup wrote:
TheCytochromeC wrote:
mot7981 wrote:We'll pass out candy as always but have two bowls... One with the "good stuff" for the cute kids we enjoy seeing and one with dollar store junk we give to the older teens with nothing but a pillow case.
That's what I'm thinking. I'm going to have three bowls though. I'll be lowering candy from the balcony to trick or treaters though. It'll ensure they don't see what candy I have to offer and distract them while my room mates do the scaring. For the good ones, they get a quarter-pound Hershey bar. For the bad ones, I'm mixing my own awful recipe of Red-Hots, Mounds, Dots, Candy Corn and Twizzlers. Ugh, a concoction so disgusting it makes me cringe just thinking about it. I don't know if I can give that out with a straight face - oh that's right I won't.
You going to have a shotgun and blast off a round or two each time someone walks up your driveway?
Nope, Super-Soaker filled with ice water :reddevil You see, it's imagination that makes Halloween so much fun!

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

TheCytochromeC wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
TheCytochromeC wrote:
Nope, Super-Soaker filled with ice water :reddevil You see, it's imagination that makes Halloween so much fun!
Good one

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Venus Pax »

For years, we completely ignored it. I've never cared for it, and still don't.
When we lived in a nicer neighborhood in the Houston area, we started handing out plastic coins with the salvation message on them along with candy, and the kids would knock on the door and ask if we were the house with "those big coins." I never did mind the teenagers; I taught middle school for nine years. The ones that showed up were well-behaved.
Since then I have moved. My daughter and I live with my parents in a semi-rural area. They are in a neighborhood, but the houses are all on at least an acre. The families combine resources for a hayride, and the kids go on a hayride and knock on doors for candy. Neighbors without small children will usually just sit on the front porch or on the driveway as the stampede of children approach.
My daughter, now age 4, has dressed up like a turkey, bumblebee, a lady bug, and (this year) a mermaid. Very few families where we are living now will permit the scary costumes.

Honestly, I much prefer Thanksgiving. We usually have pleasant weather, and it's a day to focus on being thankful. And my mother makes really good cornbread dressing.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I posted why we stopped several years ago, but forgot to mention we donate candy to our church for their Fall Fest. I also forgot I made a bean bag toss game for the kids.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

VMI77 wrote:
BWAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! "rlol"

You owe me a keyboard.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

sunny beach
Banned

Post by sunny beach »

I always buy candy. What I don't hand out to the neighborghood kids gets put out in a bowl at my desk at work. The leftovers are always gone by Veterans Day. Even the candy corn.

Piney

Post by Piney »

its been years since we answered the door. We sit out in the driveway for a while. What we've noticed is carload/vanloads of kids being dropped off with the vehicle waiting at the end of the block.

Its surprising that kids will still come up to the door-- no lights on, even after 2200.

Friends will drive over and stop with their kids. I guess the days of kids walking the neighborhood are over-- at least in our neighborhood.

tqu9047

Post by tqu9047 »

VMI77 wrote:

That, my friend, is a good one.
Thanks, I needed the laugh.

Tim :patriot: :txflag:
The 2nd Amendment makes all the others possible!

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Has anyone thought about trying to organize a block party instead of handing out candy? Seems like it might be more fun, especially if you're abstaining from the "traditional" Halloween stuff.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Return to “Off-Topic”