Liberals Hysterical in CO Over Open Carry March

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
JJVP
Posts in topic: 1

Liberals Hysterical in CO Over Open Carry March

Post by JJVP »

A small town in Colorado has been thrown into a tizzy by gun control supporters over the planned march in a 4th of July parade by a Tea Party group who are asking members to bring unloaded guns to demonstrate their committment to the Second Amendment.
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/201 ... arade.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

bdickens

Re: Liberals Hysterical in CO Over Open Carry March

Post by bdickens »

Sheesh, liberals are just hysterical as a matter of course.
Byron Dickens

DEB

Post by DEB »

I never thought I would say this, but look at Belton, TX for this 4th of July. Insurance companies are now the policy makers when it comes to guns. Or it might just be a politician lying. Even though firearms have always been a part of the 4th of July parade, now they are banned. We need to start banning politicians without backbones.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cb1000rider »

bdickens wrote:Sheesh, liberals are just hysterical as a matter of course.

First, I think that getting upset about a 2nd Amendment demonstration with unloaded firearms is ridculous.

However, I've got to call you out on the title... It's easy to toss blame on "liberals" - but who are we really talking about here?
Fact is, Cluster County Colorado has a *strong* Republican majority:
34.69% of the people in Custer County, CO are registered as Democrats. 63.60% are registered Republican.
Fact is, Cluster County is much more conservative - meaning Republican than the rest of the USA on average....

I know, must be a small vocal group...

Ref: http://www.bestplaces.net/voting/county/colorado/custer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pacifist

Post by Pacifist »

cb1000rider wrote:
bdickens wrote:Sheesh, liberals are just hysterical as a matter of course.
First, I think that getting upset about a 2nd Amendment demonstration with unloaded firearms is ridculous.

However, I've got to call you out on the title... It's easy to toss blame on "liberals" - but who are we really talking about here?
Fact is, Cluster County Colorado has a *strong* Republican majority:
Nice red herring you have there, but exactly what do the county party registration numbers have to do with who is actually protesting this 2A observance?

In this instance, as with most 2A-related matters, it's again the vocal (but oh-so "tolerant") liberals making all the obnoxious noise, else they wouldn't be liberals, so the "blame" does, indeed, rest solely upon that group, regardless of county (or state, or national) registration numbers.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cb1000rider »

cb1000rider wrote: I know, it must be a small vocal group...

Seems odd that "liberals" can get away with that in a county that is so deeply Republican...

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

cb1000rider wrote:Seems odd that "liberals" can get away with that in a county that is so deeply Republican...
Seems odd campus carry can't pass in a "pro gun" state like Texas that is so deeply Republican but facts is facts.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

When I open carried rifles with a 2a group on the Ohio Statehouse lawn, they were all loaded, not unloaded. An unloaded rifle is useless.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Pacifist

Post by Pacifist »

cb1000rider wrote:
cb1000rider wrote: I know, it must be a small vocal group...
Seems odd that "liberals" can get away with that in a county that is so deeply Republican...
It does seem odd, doesn't it? Especially since it's the Republicans who are so well known for their shout-downs, disruptions, obnoxiousness, lawlessness, and otherwise unruly behavior. Oh, wait...

CenTex

Post by CenTex »

DEB wrote:I never thought I would say this, but look at Belton, TX for this 4th of July. Insurance companies are now the policy makers when it comes to guns. Or it might just be a politician lying. Even though firearms have always been a part of the 4th of July parade, now they are banned. We need to start banning politicians without backbones.
I have copied this from an entry I made on "Free Republic" blog several days ago...

"The list of float entries included one on behalf of OpenCarryTexas.org, an organization created to educate Texans about the legal carrying of firearms and led by U.S. Army Master Sgt. C.J. Grisham.

Grisham said the Chamber welcomed his organization’s float into the parade this year, but all sides were at the mercy of lawyers and insurance agents.

“The Chamber was very accommodating,” he said, “Honestly, they tried to do everything they could.”

Unable to carry firearms, his organization plans to set up near the Belton Police Department building on Second Avenue at the invitation of the police department and will intermingle with parade guests along the route, Grisham said."

For those of you that don't recognize the man and group listed above, they were the center of a 2nd Amendment march in Temple on June 1st. I carried a NRA 'Stand and Fight' flag in that march.

The two towns, Temple and Belton, bump into each other along a good portion of their city limits' boundary. I grew up in Temple but chose a Belton girl to marry 57 years ago (we live on a couple of hundred acres of her family land in and near Belton.)

I have always compared the two towns to Dallas and Fort Worth, adjacent but with completely different attitudes. Belton and Fort Worth were cattle towns on the Chisholm Trail and Temple was not yet in existence. Temple became known as a Santa Fe rail road center and currently is a major hospital (Scott and White) location.

I think that the two towns attitude toward guns is well illustrated by the two police departments, Temple is engrossed in defending itself in the C.J. Grisham controversy while Belton is assisting Grisham in getting a location for his group.

I might also add that Temple uses Interstate 35 as a revenue source but Belton occasionally places an empty patrol car along its portion of the highway. The Belton police chief does not believe that the dangers to his officers is offset by the revenue generated.

I have worked on the Parade committee in the past and know many of the people involved with it currently. The reenactment's and display of guns has long been a part of our 4th of July tradition. The Fort Hood Calvary Units have also been a big part of the parade.

I give the benefit of the doubt to the parade committee and blame it on catching a dose of Washingtonitis and not reading the document before the purchase. I would bet it is corrected next year.

I might also add that I am currently a volunteer with the Belton Police Department and will be assisting with the traffic control and, later, safety patrols in the Park where the activities are located. I am a life or higher member of the NRA, GOA and TSRA (Texas State Rifle Association) and would not be supporting the City of Belton and its police department if I thought they were in any way anti-2nd amendment. (BTW, while working as a BPD volunteer, I cannot conceal carry due to a pesky insurance clause.)

END OF SNIP

The parade is now history and indeed no guns were displayed by the parade participants. When I returned from my assigned location, C.J. Grisham and the associated displays were doing a 'booming' business ON THE FRONT LAWN OF THE BELTON POLICE DEPARTMENT with open long gun carry in full force. I had a chat with C.J. and he had nothing but praise for the support he received from Belton and specifically the Chief of Police.

I agree that the insurance companies have jumped on the Yankee inspired PC wagon and we need to find a Texas friendly company. I do not believe that it was intended by a Beltonian since they would be vilified at any local gathering.

BTW the job I had today allowed me to see the parade in its entirety after twenty or so years of having jobs in the background. :thewave
CenTex
near Belton
NRA Benefactor, GOA, SAF & TSRA Life

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

For better or for worse, Grisham is also the cat who recently memorialized his encounter with LEOs while "out hunting" with his son. I think that was Temple PD, wasn't it?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

The Annoyed Man wrote:For better or for worse, Grisham is also the cat who recently memorialized his encounter with LEOs while "out hunting" with his son. I think that was Temple PD, wasn't it?
Yup

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Not all conservatives are Republican.

I'm a conservative Independent.

If I think a Democrat is the best person for the job, he or she gets my vote.

Sadly, the day of the Blue Dog Democrat is almost completely past.

Return to “Off-Topic”