Moving to Katy -ish

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Moving to Katy -ish

Post by gigag04 »

In May, we will likely be relocating to west side of Houston for a change. I spent a few years growing up in the Bear Creek area, but I'm sure that is not the nice side of town anymore. We are getting our current house ready for sale, and eyeing possibly buying in the south Katy area. One of us will be working near the Beltway and I-10W, and one possibly downtown. Looking for decent commutes, but amazing schools. We will have an 8 year old 3rd grade boy and an infant at the time of the move. Budget, now, is under 200k, and looking for a 4/2.5+ built NLT 15 years ago. Really like the new KB neighborhoods in area from what I've seen, but curious if there are better deals in the pre-owned market.

Other areas we would consider is between 610 and Beltway 8 around I-10W, but not sure about the schools there.

Biggest things for us are schools, area crime rates, and commutes, in that order.

Thanks in advance.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

RHenriksen

Re: Moving to Katy -ish

Post by RHenriksen »

Welcome back to the big city! Can't help w. the real estate shopping, though :-/
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

bnc

Post by bnc »

For real estate check out these two sites:

http://www.zillow.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://har.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not that familiar with Katy, but what I have heard of it sounds very much like what you are looking for. Good luck.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

When I moved to Houston, I became very well acquainted with HAR.com. It is a great tool for comparing neighborhoods, schools, and crime rates.

For estimated commute times, pick a suggested start and end point and google map it with traffic at the appropriate times of day. Do that every day for a while and you'll be able to see traffic patterns.

Welcome.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Jumping Frog wrote:When I moved to Houston, I became very well acquainted with HAR.com. It is a great tool for comparing neighborhoods, schools, and crime rates.
gigag04 wrote:Biggest things for us are schools, area crime rates, and commutes, in that order. Thanks in advance.
I know it isn't as easy, especially with a growing family, but you might think about renting for a year before committing to buying a home. A year after moving to Houston, I found my house on the HAR website. It is a great resource, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

Before I bought my home, I talked to co-workers and spent many hours on the weekends driving around different neighborhoods to find the one that had the "right feel". With a little help from my new boss, I found a great house in a great neighborhood with terrific schools. I wish you and your family the best on your new adventure.
NRA Endowment Member

G Wagner

Post by G Wagner »

Look at Cinco Ranch. Katy school district. From what I am told by relatives that live near Hwy 99 and the Beltway, the area is quiet. Others views may differ.

LSL

Post by LSL »

Agree Cinco Ranch - my nephews and family there about two years. He drives into Greenway plaza area along Westpark Tollway
Noli Voluntare Usque Vocaris / lsl
SA XDM 3.8c 9mm and Ruger LC9 -- each in a <tripleTholsters.com> IWB
Walther P22

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

WildBill wrote:I know it isn't as easy, especially with a growing family, but you might think about renting for a year before committing to buying a home. A year after moving to Houston, I found my house on the HAR website. It is a great resource, but it doesn't tell the whole story.
Yeah, I looked for six months before buying.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

AlphaWhiskey

Post by AlphaWhiskey »

I concur, Cinco Ranch will provide the closest to your requirements. Easy access to the Westpark Tollway, good schools, quiet neighborhoods, you will like it. If you are looking a little more remote, you could check out Brookshire as well. They are building like crazy all over the place there now, probably some good deals to be had. Good luck!

riatta

Post by riatta »

Cinco Ranch , Grand Lakes and Seven Meadows are all around the grand parkway west park tollway area. There is bus service available to Downtown from grand parkway and I-10 Cinemark Theatre parking lot . Katy ISD is a well respected school district.

Return to “Off-Topic”