Dogs go to heaven.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

eureka40
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dogs go to heaven.

Post by eureka40 »

We lost a little guy to cancer a couple of months ago. His other little buddy here missed him a lot and we did too. Sooo, we went to the shelter and found a perfect new little guy to be with us. He's as cool as they come. He's happy as a pig in slop to be with us. He shows all of us more love than we could ever imagine.

Adopting a pet from the local shelter has been a great experience for us. Show them love and they will return it 10 fold!!!
TSRA Life Memeber

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Jim, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. You know that there really was no decision for you to make because the alternatives including more suffering and pain were not really other choices at all. You did what you needed to do.

I've been down the path that you are on twice before with our own and again this year with our son's dog. He really was a family dog but like your Fudge there was no option but to send him on his way in peace and to end his pain and suffering. The fact that he didn't live with us all the time didn't make the holes in our hearts any smaller.

May God comfort you and guide you in your healing.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Sorry for your loss Jim. We had to put our 15 1/2 year old Italian Greyhound down this summer after she went toally blind and couldn't find her way around the house. We all know it was the right thing to do, but so hard. Still miss her a lot.

Just remember the wonderful time that you had with them while they were here. :-)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Valk

Post by Valk »

Jim,

I've been meaning to send you a PM to let you know that you are one of my favorite members. I always love to read your posts as our lives seem parallel to each other. Your soft-spoken posts are always a welcome sight.

I learned when I was 11 years old and my dad died; that there is nothing anyone can say, to make the hurt go away. I know you will miss your dog and from what I glean from your posts, I know she had already hit the jackpot when she came into your life.

I shall keep you, your family and Fudges in my prayers.

Diesel42

Post by Diesel42 »

Add my condolences please. I remember every dog in my life just like I would my blood family.
She made you a better person and validated your values on a simple, daily basis.

Now, go out and rescue another homeless dog. When life tempts you to turn from your morality and you think no one will know because this is an anonymous culture..... one look in your dog's eyes will remind you that you are looked up to and your faithfulness is appreciated.

I hope that I can always be the fine person my dogs think I am.
Happy Trails! N
Nick Stone
Have Truck, Will Travel
NRA Life Member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Jim we have been there twice in the last six years. I know that pain. I am very sorry that you had to make that decision. We will be praying for you.

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Not a lot for me to add to the eloquent condolences that have been offered. So, I'll simply say this: Dogs are real pals. Sorry for your loss.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

jimlongley wrote:
SRO1911 wrote:I keep this on my desk - for lost but not forgotten family. They are our family, our friends, parts of our life.

A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead. He remembered dying, and that the dog had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them. After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight. When he was standing before it, he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother of pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side. When he was close enough, he called out, "Excuse me, where are we?"

"This is heaven, sir," the man answered.

"Wow! Would you happen to have some water?" the man asked.

"Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up." The man gestured, and the gate began to open.

"Can my friend," gesturing toward his dog, "come in, too?" the traveler asked.

"I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets."

The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going. After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road which led through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence. As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree, reading a book.

"Excuse me!" he called to the reader. "Do you have any water?"

"Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there". The man pointed to a place thatcouldn't be seen from outside the gate. "Come on in."

"How about my friend here?" the traveler gestured to the dog.

"There should be a bowl by the pump."

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it. The traveler filled the bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog. When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree waiting for them.

"What do you call this place?" the traveler asked.

"This is heaven," was the answer.

"Well, that's confusing," the traveler said. "The man down the road said that was heaven, too."

"Oh, you mean the place with the gold streets and pearly gates? Nope! That's heck."

"Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?"

"No. I can see how you might think so, but we're just happy that they screen out the folks who'll leave their best friends behind".

Author Unknown

---- and this one.

"Gentlemen of the Jury: The best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when
he needs it the most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads. The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man may have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog.

"Gentlemen of the Jury,a man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens. If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies, and when the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death."
Sen. George Vest, 1870
Thank you, stealing those.
I can't read "Rainbow Bridge" without crying. These writings also bring tears as I think back over pets that we have loved and lost. Pets are good people.

Topic author
jimlongley
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jimlongley »

Thanks so very much, guys, a bad couple of days and the kind thoughts and words help.

It has been decades since I had to have a personal pet put down, but I have always seemed to be the one that held my children's or step-children's, or wives' pets when it came time, it was much tougher this time.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

jimlongley wrote:Thanks so very much, guys, a bad couple of days and the kind thoughts and words help.

It has been decades since I had to have a personal pet put down, but I have always seemed to be the one that held my children's or step-children's, or wives' pets when it came time, it was much tougher this time.
As our Vet told us when he put our last pet down in '04, you'll know when it's time to take and love another. Sure enough, Miss BOO chose us over all the other RV people on Lake Fork back in '06. She is the best traveler and rides between us whenever we go on extended bye-byes. That kitty has seen a lot of the western USA. Mrs. Oldgringo and I dearly love our four-footed family members.

Texas Dan Mosby

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
― Will Rogers

I'm with Mr. Rogers on this one...
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

DLBConductor

Post by DLBConductor »

So sorry for your loss. Our furry companions give us unreserved love, loyalty, and happiness. It seems the more we love them, the deeper our grief at their loss. As difficult as it is, you did the right thing.

We are thinking of you!
[12/10/2011: CHL Class - 100 Written and 240 Range][01/14/2012: Plastic - 31 Days!]
[NRA Life Member][TSRA Life Member][CHL]

Topic author
jimlongley
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jimlongley »

Texas Dan Mosby wrote:“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
― Will Rogers

I'm with Mr. Rogers on this one...
That's it, right there, a sage bit of philosophy that I will spend the rest of my life telling others.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

I hope to be half the man my dog believes I am. ;-)
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

Our last Spaniel had cancer. We held and petted her while the vet put her down.

Condolences
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

Return to “Off-Topic”