Texas CDL Question

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TexasAggie09
Posts in topic: 4

Texas CDL Question

Post by TexasAggie09 »

Random question guys. I got my class B CDL (class BM license...how do you like that?) in october of 2009 so I could drive buses for school (passenger and airbrake endorsement). I was never told ANYTHING about medical cards etc. I drove buses for two years and never renewed or did anything with the license. Now I maintain it because it allows me (actually overqualifies me) to drive fire engines for my volunteer department. Today at work dispatch asked for my medical card when they realized I have a CDL. What the heck is a medical card? Does anyone know what I need to be doing to maintain my CDL as legal in TX? Thanks!
Taurus Model 82 .38 Special
Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro
CZ 75 B 9mm
Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Special
Remington 870 Express Home Defense
Sig Sauer P229 Enhanced Elite .40 S&W
Rock River LAR-15 Elite Operator 2 .223/5.56

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2009

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Texas CDL Question

Post by SQLGeek »

Did you ever get a medical certification when you originally obtained your CDL?

These should help:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLice ... icense.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLice ... ertReq.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
TexasAggie09

Post by TexasAggie09 »

I don't have the best memory of the process as my company at the time handled all that stuff but I don't recall receiving any sort of medical papers.
CZ 75 B 9mm

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

I'd say a phone call / visit to DPS is in order.
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
TexasAggie09

Post by TexasAggie09 »

According to this:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-l ... #question2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am classified as an excepted intrastate driver. If i were to ever drive it across a state line (which may happen once in 3years), I'd be excepted interstate. The only reason I don't feel completely absolved is:

"You operate in excepted Intrastate commerce when you drive a CMV only in intrastate commerce activities for which your State of licensure has determined do not require you to meet the State’s medical certification requirements."

That's where my phone call will come in I think.

Driving a fire engine IS excepted under the intERstate part, but there is no list for the intRAstate exceptions.
CZ 75 B 9mm

brentski
Posts in topic: 1

Post by brentski »

To clarify, no medical card needed unless driving a vehicle that requires a CDL. Easy to do though, just call around and find a local clinic that does DOT Physicals. The drawback is having a CDL will not allow you to do deferred adjudication on moving violations even in your personal vehicle and the $60.00 to renew. I have had mine since '95 with no medical card, just never gave it up.

Topic author
TexasAggie09

Post by TexasAggie09 »

Thanks for the replies yall. After searching around in the federal regulations and texas regulations and calling DPS I have found my answer. As of January of 2012 you must fill out an affadavit claiming what type of driver you are (explained in the links above). IntERstate versus intRAstate as well as excepted (buses, emergency vehicles, etc.) or non-excepted. Anything NON-excepted requires the medical card. Otherwise, no medical card. Since I use mine for driving emergency vehicles, I qualify as intERstate NON-excepted so I need no card.

Thanks for the info!
CZ 75 B 9mm

barstoolguru

Post by barstoolguru »

If one driver in a co has to have a medic card they all do. I have been a city driver most of my life and some co required the driver to have their own and other paid for the driver to get it. When they pay for the driver to get one the co can access they records and if you supply your own they can't
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

barstoolguru wrote:If one driver in a co has to have a medic card they all do. I have been a city driver most of my life and some co required the driver to have their own and other paid for the driver to get it. When they pay for the driver to get one the co can access they records and if you supply your own they can't
That simply isn't accurate.

A Medical Card is required for all DOT-regulated drivers meeting the below quoted conditions. A company can have both DOT-regulated drivers and non-regulated drivers, and the non-regulated drivers are not required to get a Medical Card.

If you have been a city driver, that doesn't necessarily mean you are not engaged in interstate commerce. If you deliver any packages where the original shipper and consignee are in different states, then it is still interstate commerce even if your portion of the transportation is entirely local. For example, a FEDEX or UPS driver could spend their entire career driving around their local town picking up and dropping off packages, but they are still engaged in interstate commerce.

Company's have no right to see the detailed medical records regardless of who pays for the exam. The driver must submit the first part of the form that says they are qualified, but they are supposed to keep the second part of the form that gets into medical details.

From FMCSA Medical FAQ:
8. Are CMV drivers who operate in interstate commerce required to have a medical certificate?

Drivers are required to have a DOT Medical Certificate:

If they operate a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), gross combination weight rating (GCWR), gross vehicle weight (GCW), or gross combination weight (GCW) of 4,536 kilograms or more in interstate commerce.

If they operate a motor vehicle designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers (including the driver) in interstate commerce.

If they operate a motor vehicle designed or used to transport between 9 and 15 passengers, for direct compensation, beyond 75 air miles from the driver's normal work-reporting location, in interstate commerce

If they transport hazardous materials, in a quantity requiring placards, in interstate commerce.

CFR 49 Part 391.41

CFR 49 Part 390.5
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “Off-Topic”