Article "Gun Control-Can A Sign Make A Difference"

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

http://www.patrickkphillips.com/2012/07 ... t=32621099" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is it an “anti-self-defense” sign? Or an “anti-offense” sign?
A sign is never going to stop a would-be mass murderer from carrying out his plan.

But, then, that fifty-cent sign isn’t meant to stop a would-be mass murderer.

It’s designed to stop the crackpots among gun owners who don’t want to kill anyone, or even hurt anyone, but who just aren’t as responsible as they ought to be.

I have some friends who are gun owners, and because of specific training they’ve gone through, I’d have no problem being around them if they were carrying a concealed weapon. And I may well have: if their gun were properly concealed, I wouldn’t have known they were carrying to begin with, would I?

But I know them and I know they’ve been trained, drilled and trained some more.

If I’m in a crowded theater, or a restaurant or a stadium, I have to hope that everyone who might have a concealed weapon is just as responsible and well-trained as people I know personally and trust. I have to hope that none among them is the kind of guy (or gal) who’d react first and think later, who’d take an unwarranted action against what might look like a threat but really isn’t. I have to trust that none among them would make a severe tactical mistake that would only make someone else with a gun make a mistake of his own in a chain reaction. Particularly when chain reactions in which guns are involved always carry the possibility of ending very badly.

I have to be willing, in every public place, to put my lives in the hands of everyday people I don’t know and who aren’t highly-trained law enforcement officers. That’s a bit much to ask in my book.

If someone in that Colorado theater had been armed, it is unquestionably possible that he could have ended the threat sooner.
More at link above, and comments
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

RoyGBiv

Re: Article "Gun Control-Can A Sign Make A Difference"

Post by RoyGBiv »

Here's an interesting thought from one of the comments on that article...

Is it possible that the CO shooter made a conscious decision to take his madness to a "No guns" posted movie theater instead of taking it to a Colorado college campus (he was a student in CO, remember) where concealed carry was finally affirmed to be legal earlier this year? College campus where licensed carry is allowed, or a movie theater where CC is discouraged by management?

We'll probably never know... but.. made me go "Hmmmmm"...
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

RoyGBiv wrote:Here's an interesting thought from one of the comments on that article...

Is it possible that the CO shooter made a conscious decision to take his madness to a "No guns" posted movie theater instead of taking it to a Colorado college campus (he was a student in CO, remember) where concealed carry was finally affirmed to be legal earlier this year? College campus where licensed carry is allowed, or a movie theater where CC is discouraged by management?

We'll probably never know... but.. made me go "Hmmmmm"...
:iagree:
:thumbs2:
Hopefully, all the State Legislatures in all the States who listened to the anti campus carry crusaders last time ... will also go hmmmm ... we need to remember to bring this point up next legislature.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

7075-T7
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 7075-T7 »

I have to be willing, in every public place, to put my lives in the hands of everyday people I don’t know [...] That’s a bit much to ask in my book.
:roll: Oh, please...

Same thing is true every minute of the day. We all have to trust others to behave, but be prepared if they don't.

Every time I hear someone say, "I just don't trust it if someone was armed around me, what if they just shot me for no reason?!", I always think it's just that person projecting their own insecurities, of what they might do, onto other people and condeming them for it.

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

7075-T7 wrote:
I have to be willing, in every public place, to put my lives in the hands of everyday people I don’t know [...] That’s a bit much to ask in my book.
:roll: Oh, please...

Same thing is true every minute of the day. We all have to trust others to behave, but be prepared if they don't.

Every time I hear someone say, "I just don't trust it if someone was armed around me, what if they just shot me for no reason?!", I always think it's just that person projecting their own insecurities, of what they might do, onto other people and condeming them for it.
I think the BEST part is that some people will say that sort of thing...but of course, they pass by people carrying ILLEGALLY almost every day. And if they thought about it for just a minute or two, they'd realize it was true. But, hey, they feel so much safer being around those who are carrying illegally...so much safer that they don't even want to entertain the thought of it. Head in the sand...

AlphaWhiskey

Post by AlphaWhiskey »

I personally have far more concern with the driving habits of those around me than I do whether or not they are carrying!

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

AlphaWhiskey wrote:I personally have far more concern with the driving habits of those around me than I do whether or not they are carrying!
I was thinking this too.... How do I know the person heading towards me on the other side of that double yellow line isn't gonna reach over and answer his phone and hit me head on? That concerns me much more than another CHL in the same movie theater as me.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

Old, but always funny.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

AlphaWhiskey wrote:I personally have far more concern with the driving habits of those around me than I do whether or not they are carrying!
Absolutely!

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Agreed.
TANSTAAFL

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The author of that post makes an apples to oranges comparison when he compares traffic signs to the "no gun" signs. He says that traffic signs are there to remind the bad drivers not to drive poorly. But the analogy totally breaks down when it comes to no-gun signs. Those signs, in effect, are telling good drivers to stay off the highways, and not having any impact on bad drivers.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

leftyonly

Post by leftyonly »

I find it hilarious that this prog sheep believes that speed limit signs somehow protect him from irresponsible drivers...

...I would gladly sit in a theater full of ANY segment of the gun owning population and feel 10 times safer than I do with the texting soccer mom on the freeway in the Land Rover that is "running a bit late"....

LSL

Post by LSL »

A bit of wisdom that I learned in driver's ed, about 45 years ago:

"Drive defensively -- those double stripes on the asphalt never will prevent a car from crossing the road into our lane; at an intersection, a stop sign or a red signal light is no guarantee that the other driver will stop; your green light merely gives you a permission to proceed -- not a license to go.
Noli Voluntare Usque Vocaris / lsl
SA XDM 3.8c 9mm and Ruger LC9 -- each in a <tripleTholsters.com> IWB
Walther P22

Return to “Off-Topic”