17y/o Killed By Neighborhood Watch/CHL

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 104

Re: 17y/o Killed By Neighborhood Watch/CHL

Post by The Annoyed Man »

57Coastie wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
57Coastie wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:...This is why I believe that anyone threatening or participating in riots should be charged with domestic terrorism.
I notice that the House passed the $642 billion defense budget yesterday, retaining the provision, over the administration's objection, permitting the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens suspected of terrorism.

Do we ship them off to Guantanamo? Just askin'. :confused5

Jim
Jim, we have a long and honored tradition of civil disobedience in the U.S., and I would not want to see that change necessarily. On the other hand, there is a difference between going limp when a cop tries to arrest you, and calling for rioting that everyone knows will likely result in the injuring and/or killing of large numbers of people, not to mention millions or billions of dollars in property loss/damage. I'm not sure if a domestic terrorism charge is appropriate, but I am most definitely certain that a charge of inciting to riot should be a 10 year prison term if convicted; and if anyone dies in the rioting, then a charge of accessory to murder is entirely appropriate as well, with additional minimal terms of 10 years for every person killed in the rioting. In the Rodney King riots, 53 people died during the rioting and thousands more were injured, and property damage exceeded $1 billion. Somebody deserves to spend the rest of their lives in prison for that. I don't know if the locus of the rioting can be traced down to the actions of a small number of people in a small number of areas, then those people are deserving of an enormous criminal burden for their actions.

There is only one possible exception to this standard in my mind, and that is if the rioting is the opening salvo in a general popular uprising against a tyrannical government. In such a case, it isn't "rioting" anymore so much as it is "revolution." But that is the scenario which all rational humans pray never comes to pass because the cost would be more than most want to bear.
Do I correctly read this, Chris, as saying your answer to my question to Right2Carry is "Yes?" :confused5

I do not necessarily disagree with your position in general, Chris, until you get to making treason an exception to your harsh ideas on punishment. No need to quote Jefferson to me, I am a great fan of his and know him well. :nono:

Jim
Jim, no....what I meant was that I believe specifically that incitement to riot ought to be punished very severely, including added punishment if people die in the rioting (because the person(s) who incites the riot is complicit in their deaths), but I'm not sure it rises to the level of sending them to Gitmo—because it is not treason. That's why I drew the distinction between civil disobedience, a time honored right, and criminal incitement to riot. But I think that it is possible to punish the latter in civilian prisons without resorting to military tribunal.

I realize that my views of punishment may seem harsh to you, but leniency toward crime, particularly that of MURDER and accessory to it, has not particularly worked. In fact, it has made things worse. And at some point victims and their survivors, not to mention society, are no longer receiving justice.

And I'm not excepting treason. However, would a judge who shared Thomas Jefferson's views (and those of the other founders as well) have judged that Thomas Jefferson was a traitor, or a patriot? That's the distinction I am trying to draw. Certainly, he was a traitor in the eyes of King George. But if King George had been a just king, the colonists may well have never felt the necessity of rebellion. Ditto our own government. When it is no longer a legitimately elected government—for instance if a sitting president suspended elections with the cooperation of a corrupt congress—then rebellion is the DUTY of the citizens, and it is neither rioting nor treason.

Does that make some kind of sense to you?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

HerbM
Posts in topic: 23

Post by HerbM »

philip964 wrote:I have always found it interesting that when you have personal knowledge of a news story, you intensely watch and read the news story from the press.

They always get it wrong.

You then ponder, if they got this wrong, do they get everything wrong.

For a while, you question, well did they get that wrong too?

After a while, you go back to believing they are accurate with everything, except your incident, until it happens again.

Happened to my son last week. His company had a hazardous truck crash. Tank held, no spill. On air reporter thirty feet from overturned truck said " Hazardous chemicals were spilled on the highway".

That day he joined the club.
Yes, they always get it wrong. You are correct about when you have knowledge of an even; it's also true when you have knowledge of a subject.

Just think how very, very few news orgs/people can get the simplest firearm or CHL story correct.

Then listen for every subject on when you are even moderately knowledgeable.

In most cases they can't string 5 sentences together without making at least two remarkable errors.
HerbM

HerbM

Post by HerbM »

baldeagle wrote:Trayvon's girlfriend's interview has been posted on Youtube. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's confusing.
A lot of folks on TheConservativeTreeHouse have analyzed her story, delivery, confusion and posited that she is either lying or a shill.

The funny thing to me, it despite here story being offered to hurt Zimmerman, it is entirely consistent with his self-defense account.

Martin spoke to Zimmerman; Zimmerman answers; the fight began. (Phone shuts off)

Picking up the story at the actual EYE witness: Martin was mounted on top, beating Zimmerman "Mixed Martial Arts style", while Zimmerman called for help (14 times).

This went on about 48 seconds until the shot is fired.

Zimmerman asks a witness to call police.

Police arrive almost immediately and Zimmerman is entirely cooperative.

O'Mara (Zimmerman's lawyer) may well CALL HER to testify on Zimmerman's behalf. (Her story is captured in writing and recording so she can't materially change it, and Florida allows for a deposition/interview of witnesses by the defense, prior to trial.)

--
HerbM
HerbM

philip964
Posts in topic: 215

Post by philip964 »

philip964 wrote:
What is forgotten in all of this is the Trayvon/Zimmerman incident is rare. What normally happens is quite different. Here is a website that tracks murders in Kansas City, Missouri. Kansas City like most cities has far fewer African Americans than other races, yet of the 58 murders in Kansas City so far this year 48 of the murders have been African Americans. http://homicide.kansascity.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please take special note of the latest homicide number 58 http://homicide.kansascity.com/victims/58/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Harry Stone, he is a 60 year old Caucasian who was murdered as he took his normal morning walk. Police suspect he was randomly picked out as some sort of gang initiation. No national news, no outrage, just another victim.
A recent news story on the murder of Harry Stone in Kansas City has for the first time mentioned that the shooter was African American.

They have no motive at all for the killing of the jogger.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/18/jo ... ?hpt=hp_t3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This story does not come from Kansas Cities major news paper the Kansas City Star. This paper has never released the race of the shooter. It has also never covered the story of the white 13 year old with the last name of Coon, who was burned with gasoline on his way home from school in Kansas City.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -City.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 104

Post by The Annoyed Man »

HerbM wrote:
baldeagle wrote:Do they just make this stuff up and think nobody will check? http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162- ... -evidence/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is incredible to me. Has the media simply given up reporting and now just invent stuff and publish it?
Yes.

They do it in several ways which are additive.

1) To a man and women, the major media reporters, editors, producers, and on air folks are INCOMPETENT to report on the Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade. I mean this; they cannot even report accurately on a "car chase" that YOU are watching with them.

2) 90% or more are terribly politically biased (80% for the left, 10% for the right) which wouldn't be so bad perhaps EXCEPT they ALL think they are independent moderates because of #1 and because in their own world they are right in the middle so they do not watch for the bias nor make any significant attempt to correct for it.

3) They don't actually do research, move of them, they get their MISINFORMATION from each other, so they REPEAT something that isn't (quite) true adding their own little innacuracies in a massive child's game of 'telephone'.

4) Pretty soon, a bunch of misinformation becomes part of "What everyone knows".

5) Every so often they realize a big story is wrong (Duke [false] Rape Case) and start to correct -- the Zimmerman story entered this portion late last week -- but then the press goes through a period where they PRETEND to fairness by telling both the NEW (more correct) version and the OLD (full of crap) version with equal weight, and saying things like "We'll have to weight until the trial to find out the truth."

6) Most are not capable of simple logic nor scientific thought. They are 'journalist' partly (some largely) because they are BAD at science, HATE math, and incompetent at logic and reasoning.

7) Some of them actually have an ulterior agenda that they consciously pursue -- this just feeds into 1-6 for the others.

There are probably other reasons but I sincerely believe it begins with the SIMPLE INCOMPETENCE.
PLEASE VOTE: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=55283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

VMI77
Posts in topic: 98

Post by VMI77 »

philip964 wrote:I have always found it interesting that when you have personal knowledge of a news story, you intensely watch and read the news story from the press.

They always get it wrong.

You then ponder, if they got this wrong, do they get everything wrong.

For a while, you question, well did they get that wrong too?

After a while, you go back to believing they are accurate with everything, except your incident, until it happens again.

Happened to my son last week. His company had a hazardous truck crash. Tank held, no spill. On air reporter thirty feet from overturned truck said " Hazardous chemicals were spilled on the highway".

That day he joined the club.
In my entire life I've read one article that got it right when it comes to somethings of which I have personal knowledge --and it was published in the Wall Street Journal.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

terryg
Posts in topic: 8

Post by terryg »

Sorry if this was posted before ... this was the first I had heard of it.

Apparently, there was a YouTube video of Trayvon participating in a fight club style event that was pulled shortly after his death.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/05 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... this space intentionally left blank ...

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

terryg wrote:Sorry if this was posted before ... this was the first I had heard of it.

Apparently, there was a YouTube video of Trayvon participating in a fight club style event that was pulled shortly after his death.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/05 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NOT surprised. But, it does shine a little more light into the situation.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... xzz1vaRadw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

any of these guys like Obama's son.

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 134

Post by mamabearCali »

Fight clubs, stolen jewelry, marijuana in his system, graffiti........all add up to not quite the little cherub choir boy we were first presented with. Perhaps Zimmerman was right to keep an eye on this guy. What is worse is that the media had knowldege of these things and covered them up. THAT is not JOURNALISM! There is a word for it however, propaganda. I am not even sure if that covers it because it is the willing dissemination of lies as truth to cover the truth and distort the facts. If I had done in my bachelors degree classes what they do on a regular basis I would have failed.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

philip964

Post by philip964 »

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ ... was_murder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

40% of America now smart.

HerbM

Post by HerbM »

BTW, if you hear today (or later) "Witnesses Change Testimony" it is only marginally true, misleading, happened weeks or months ago, and has little or no effect on Zimmerman's self-defense claim -- probably even helps it.

This headline was probably used because the (I think Orlando Sentinel started it, but not 100% sure) the media had nothing to report that was new. So they wrote about a 4 people who had slightly changed their stories between initial and later interviews, but they gave it a headline that made it sound like this was happening NOW (or at least in the past few days).

But the real journalistic malpractice was the headline -- then the others picked it up and started playing that stupid game of supposition and "Telephone" we discussed a bit back in the thread.

It is possible that Crump (lawyer for Martin's family) started this somehow by passing out talking points or something but so far no evidence of that. Somebody however did start it and it was OLD NEWS, picked up on the SAME DAY, by multiple sources who did NOT source it back to some originator. That is highly suspicious.

Edit Addition: The Fox News report (on Megyn Kelly's show) was NOT terrible, they had lawyers that understood SOME of what I have written above. Generally, I am just as critical of the COMPETENCE of Fox as of any others; their bias does less damage (since they admit where it is usually and try to correct for it), but they are just as incompetent as the rest as far as simple accuracy.
Last edited by HerbM on Wed May 23, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HerbM

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 270

Post by sjfcontrol »

Fox news reported that today.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

VMI77
Posts in topic: 98

Post by VMI77 »

HerbM wrote:BTW, if you hear today (or later) "Witnesses Change Testimony" it is only marginally true, misleading, happened weeks or months ago, and has little or no effect on Zimmerman's self-defense claim -- probably even helps it.

This headline was probably used because the (I think Orlando Sentinel started it, but not 100% sure) the media had nothing to report that was new. So they wrote about a 4 people who had slightly changed their stories between initial and later interviews, but they gave it a headline that made it sound like this was happening NOW (or at least in the past few days).

But the real journalistic malpractice was the headline -- then the others picked it up and started playing that stupid game of supposition and "Telephone" we discussed a bit back in the thread.

It is possible that Crump (lawyer for Martin's family) started this somehow by passing out talking points or something but so far no evidence of that. Somebody however did start it and it was OLD NEWS, picked up on the SAME DAY, by multiple sources who did NOT source it back to some originator. That is highly suspicious.

Edit Addition: The Fox News report (on Megyn Kelly's show) was NOT terrible, they had lawyers that understood SOME of what I have written above. Generally, I am just as critical of the COMPETENCE of Fox as of any others; their bias does less damage (since they admit where it is usually and try to correct for it), but they are just as incompetent as the rest as far as simple accuracy.
I don't believe there is any reason for suspicion....we should all KNOW by now that these tactics aren't accidental, they're deliberate. All of the potential explanations you cite that might indicate otherwise are merely the cover the media uses in order to claim they aren't intentionally advancing an agenda. The thing is, their supposed mistakes and accidents always further their known agenda, and they virtually never have any mistakes or accidents that undermine that agenda. There is no way this is "accidental."
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

tacticool
Posts in topic: 4

Post by tacticool »

mamabearCali wrote:Fight clubs, stolen jewelry, marijuana in his system, graffiti........all add up to not quite the little cherub choir boy we were first presented with.
If the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, maybe he really is Obama's imaginary son.

Conceived with his composite girlfriend. :lol:
When in doubt
Vote them out!

Return to “Off-Topic”