17y/o Killed By Neighborhood Watch/CHL

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 134

Re: 17y/o Killed By Neighborhood Watch/CHL

Post by mamabearCali »

Well now we wait and see what the actual charges are. Poor man, heaven help him.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 134

Post by mamabearCali »

Toorop wrote:Thank God! Hopefully he will get a good spot in line for the death penalty!
Not likely, because if they were going to try him for a capital crime (murder 1) they would have been forced to go to a GJ.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 270

Post by sjfcontrol »

Toorop wrote:Thank God! Hopefully he will get a good spot in line for the death penalty!
Death penalty is off the table. Can't happen without a grand jury. And they're bypassing that.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 78

Post by Beiruty »

So, you per-judged him as guilty of capital murder? if so, prove it in court of law. Just let you know there is no evidence in support of Martin's family claims. It is all speculation.

Let us cool down and wait for the trial. If that killer Moma (Anthony) in Florida was acquitted, then GZ would have an easy time defending himself in a court of law.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

jmra
Posts in topic: 77

Post by jmra »

Beiruty wrote:
So, you per-judged him as guilty of capital murder? if so, prove it in court of law. Just let you know there is no evidence in support of Martin's family claims. It is all speculation.

Let us cool down and wait for the trial. If that killer Moma (Anthony) in Florida was acquitted, then GZ would have an easy time defending himself in a court of law.
Responding to Toorop is like giving candy to a crying baby. It just rewards bad behavior.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Wow, you don't have a clue what the evidence will show, but you are calling for his execution. That's more than a little scary.

Chas.

JackPatrick
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JackPatrick »

Beiruty wrote:

I am still hunting for clarification on the law here....

Correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't self-defense is an "affirmative defense"? In other words... the burden of proof is 100% on Zimmerman to prove that he acted in self defense?? Contrast that with a typical charge (Murder 2? Murder 3?) where the prosecution would have to PROVE Zimmerman guilty. Those are two wildly different things. The poster above said ".....guilty of capital murder? If so, prove it in a court of law". The point I'm making is ....No! They don't have to do that. It is Zimmerman who bears the burden of proof because he is making an affirmative defense to a stipulated killing.

So.... a little thought experiment. Let's say hypothetically Zimmerman simply said "Nope. I didn't do it". THEN, the burden of proof would be on the prosecution. In this situation, however, he is saying "Yes, I did kill that man, but here is why.....". That completly changes things and it is now Zimmerman who must PROVE he acted in self defense.

This seems to be a significant nuance that is getting almost no mention.

Hopefully someone will correct me if my understanding is off here.....

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

sjfcontrol wrote:
Death penalty is off the table. Can't happen without a grand jury. And they're bypassing that.
Correct. I suspect the case wasn't presented to a grand jury because someone in the political control group wanted to make sure charges were filed. I've never cared for result-oriented moves like I suspect happened here.

Chas.

Jusster
Posts in topic: 70

Post by Jusster »

Beiruty wrote:

Wow that’s some double talk if I’ve ever heard it….If you ask me, it looks like many here sympathize with Zimmerman not based on evidence, but rather their personal hatred towards MSM

Sorry to hear the innocent do-gooder Mr. Zimmerman will finally have his day in court. Don’t forget to go out to his website and donate!!!

Jusster

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 19

Post by OldCannon »

<Insert "Troll" icon>
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

philip964
Posts in topic: 215

Post by philip964 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
Correct. I suspect the case wasn't presented to a grand jury because someone in the political control group wanted to make sure charges were filed. I've never cared for result-oriented moves like I suspect happened here.

Chas.
:iagree:

Keith B
Posts in topic: 64

Post by Keith B »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:

Chas.
:iagree: This is nothing but an attempt for the prosecutors to try and save face and prove there was no cover-up. Unfortunately it will cost Zimmerman WAY more than he would have had to spend if a Grand Jury no-billed him.

The only possible positive side to this for Zimmerman is if all the evidence is laid out for public view and he is found not guilty, then at least those who were looking to lynch him will be proved wrong. Unfortunately the media has made such a circus out of this that he may have a hard time getting a fair trial and even then there are those that would still want him to pay shooting Martin, even if he was totally justified. No matter what with this case, Zimmerman loses in the end. :banghead:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Jusster
Posts in topic: 70

Post by Jusster »

philip964 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:

Chas.
:iagree:
Well from what I’ve read, Florida rarely uses the GJ unless it is for a capital offense. It would be unusual for this case to go to a GJ unless the prosecutor was attempting to pass the buck.

Jusster

jmra
Posts in topic: 77

Post by jmra »

Keith B wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:

Chas.
:iagree: This is nothing but an attempt for the prosecutors to try and save face and prove there was no cover-up. Unfortunately it will cost Zimmerman WAY more than he would have had to spend if a Grand Jury no-billed him.

The only possible positive side to this for Zimmerman is if all the evidence is laid out for public view and he is found not guilty, then at least those who were looking to lynch him will be proved wrong. Unfortunately the media has made such a circus out of this that he may have a hard time getting a fair trial and even then there are those that would still want him to pay shooting Martin, even if he was totally justified. No matter what with this case, Zimmerman loses in the end. :banghead:
If he lives long enough for the evidence to be presented.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

i8godzilla
Posts in topic: 9

Post by i8godzilla »

I found this to be an interesting read. It is an editorial written by Alan Dershowitz. The following is from the end of this piece.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/10/opinion/d ... ?hpt=hp_t1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moreover, the Florida statute provides an additional layer of protection to a defendant claiming self-defense: A judge must decide whether the defendant is "immune from prosecution," that is, if the judge believes his actions fall under the law of self-defense.

So the following mixed outcome is certainly possible: The special prosecutor indicts; the judge does or doesn't grant immunity; if he doesn't, the jury acquits.

Many people would be unhappy with such a mixed outcome, but it is not the job of the law to make people happy.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

Return to “Off-Topic”