Free and low-cost cell phones

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Free and low-cost cell phones

Post by seamusTX »

I've seen a couple of news stories recently where people had emergencies and could not call 911 because they didn't have a phone.

I understand that many people in this economy cannot afford standard phone service. My phone bill is over $100 a month (though that includes two land lines and internet).

Almost every cell phone in existence can call 911 without being subscribed to a carrier (in other words, costing no money). You can buy these at second-hand stores like Goodwill or Salvation Army for a dollar or two. Women crisis centers often give them away.

Also there are prepaid cell phones like Tracfone that cost about $100 a year for minimal usage. I've used Tracfone for years. There are other competing services. Starter kits for these services are sold at dollar stores for maybe $10.

If anyone knows other alternatives, please post them. There is supposed to be low-cost phone service for indigent people, which is actually a fee tacked onto our phone bills, but I can't figure out how to get it.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Double Naught Spy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Free and low-cost cell phones

Post by Double Naught Spy »

Alternative? Any cell phone should be able to call 911 without a plan. It will be the only number they can call.

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Free and low-cost cell phones

Post by seamusTX »

Did I not say clearly that nearly every cell phone ever made can call 911?

There may be some old cell phones that are not compatible with the frequencies and protocols used now, but probably those phones don't work at all.

The alternatives I am asking about are low-cost phone service for indigent people so that they can make a few essential calls a week in addition to 911 in emergencies.

- Jim

Return to “Off-Topic”