Weight Loss thread....

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

TexasComputerDude
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Weight Loss thread....

Post by TexasComputerDude »

I've got a new plan, I found an old stationary bike in one of our sheds and I've put it in my living room. so now any time I'm watching tv, playing wii, or working on my computer I plan to be peddling, I might not be able to run very fast or far, but I'm one peddling fool.

I figure if I watch 4 hours of tv a day, I can peddle for 4 hours a day and see where it leads me. lol.
Glock 30 - main ccw

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KC5AV »

melkor41 wrote:261, and my energy is going up... yay me!
I cheated yesterday.... they had a ton of pizza brought in for a training class and there were left overs and i caved in and had one.. just one... im glad at that.. i usualy eat 5 or 6 peices..
Just as a word of encouragement... portion control has been the primary factor in my 30 pound weight loss. I started working on it in January, and am amazed at how quickly the weight has come off. Keep up the good work.
NRA lifetime member

Topic author
melkor41
Posts in topic: 26

Post by melkor41 »

TexasComputerDude wrote:I've got a new plan, I found an old stationary bike in one of our sheds and I've put it in my living room. so now any time I'm watching tv, playing wii, or working on my computer I plan to be peddling, I might not be able to run very fast or far, but I'm one peddling fool.

I figure if I watch 4 hours of tv a day, I can peddle for 4 hours a day and see where it leads me. lol.
good idea... i need to build some sort of desk for my bike so i can stick my laptop on it and work. I have always thought about getting one of those mini pedal things you put under your desk. Good luck man... anything that might help you from having to get buchtered like a hog with that lapband stuff :???:
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it...kill the captain...and claim it as yours. : Lodge2004

TexasComputerDude

well, I finally did it. I just had lap band surgery on the 14th of august. I've already lost 28 pounds since starting the pre-op diet a week and a half ago.

I am really sore but I should be down over 100 pounds before christmas. Hopefully all the pain will be gone in the next few days.

If any of yall have any questions feel free to hit me up.
Glock 30 - main ccw

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I was down 42.2 pounds (since 1/1/08) last Saturday. I weigh in again tomorrow morning, and I think I had a pretty good week.

Edited to add: I saw my doctor this week for a regular semi annual blood test (for thyroid) and blood pressure check. When I was a young man, before I gained all this weight, my resting BP was around 96/60. My whole family's BPs have always run low like that, and for us, it's normal. After I got hypertension and gained all that weight, my resting BP sat at right around 110/70-120/80 for the last 14 years. It started coming down this year when I started losing weight. This week, it measured 94/60, and I feel pretty good about that.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

dukesean
Posts in topic: 16

Post by dukesean »

Resurrecting this one...

Just curious how you guys are doing on this these days
-------------------------------------
Sean H.
NRA Life Member
TSRA

TexasComputerDude

I've lost somewhere around 60lbs, give or take. I need to lose a lot more but I still struggle with real cokes lol. I'm like a crack addict. The lapband surgery is a lot of hard work. You still have to control yourself.
Glock 30 - main ccw

dewayneward
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dewayneward »

I am a P90X'r. It is awesome! That in addition to Karate is helping me feel better, however, the actual weight is not coming off. I am hanging tight at 215-220lbs. Everyone has commented at how thin I am looking,but the actual weight is not going down, grrrr! I know about the myth of "your adding muscle", but it isnt a 1:1 replacement. I am hoping that once I hit phase 2 of P90X, it will start to come off (that is what I am being told). My plan is to get below 200, possibly in the 180-190 (my healthy weight for a 5'10" guy).
Col 2:8 See to it that no man takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men,according to the elementary principles of the world,rather than according to Christ.
austin received app 12/10
Processing app 12/22/08
App comp 1/26/09
Plastic in hand 1/30/09

stroo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stroo »

Good news is the I lost 40 pounds last year. The bad news is that I gained back 45. Just like a yo-yo.

UpTheIrons
Posts in topic: 3

Post by UpTheIrons »

TexasComputerDude wrote:I've lost somewhere around 60lbs, give or take. I need to lose a lot more but I still struggle with real cokes lol. I'm like a crack addict. The lapband surgery is a lot of hard work. You still have to control yourself.
Speaking of "real" Cokes, I vowed I would NEVER drink diet soda some years ago. Diet Coke tasted like mercury to me. No, I don't know what mercury tastes like, but I imagine it isn't far off from Diet Coke! :lol: Then, they came out with Coke Zero and I'll never go back. 6 months after switching, I tried a "real" Coke once again and almost gagged - the consistency was like syrup. Now, the Coke made in Mexico with real sugar is nowhere as bad, but still a bit sweet for my palate of late. I know I should cut them out completely, but if I can get back down to only 2 cans a day, I'll consider that a success for the time being.

About a year and a half ago, I told my wife I wanted to lose 40 pounds by my 40th birthday, which gave me almost 2 years to meet my goal. I was cruising along, well ahead of schedule, and by Christmas of 2008, I lost 30 pounds. Then, because i bought crappy shoes, I pulled a ligament in my foot and couldn't exercise for almost 2 months. That really set me back, and I gained 10+ pounds back and have been there since March of 2009.

Now, I've got 3 months to reach my goal, and 22 pounds to go. After reading through this thread, I'm finally getting motivated again. It was too easy to say "woe is me" after so much early success, but know I can do it, because I did it before. I know how stress can be mitigated through exercise, and we clergy really need that stress-busting in our daily lives - not that everyone else doesn't, but there's something about doing the Lord's work that really gets trying sometimes.

Thanks again, melkor41 for starting this thread - and to all who have contributed so far.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

KC5AV wrote:
melkor41 wrote:261, and my energy is going up... yay me!
I cheated yesterday.... they had a ton of pizza brought in for a training class and there were left overs and i caved in and had one.. just one... im glad at that.. i usualy eat 5 or 6 peices..
Just as a word of encouragement... portion control has been the primary factor in my 30 pound weight loss. I started working on it in January, and am amazed at how quickly the weight has come off. Keep up the good work.
Ditto for me on portion control. Once I stopped eating for 2.5 people 30 pounds came off in about 6 months. My wife was tricky on this. She said I had to do it too so it would be easier for her. I didn't even think I was overweight or miserable until I dropped the weight. Now I can exercise and run for more than 2 miles without coughing up a kidney. I'm 44y and working my way back up to 5 miles.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

davidtx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by davidtx »

C-dub wrote:
KC5AV wrote:
melkor41 wrote:[SNIP]
Now I can exercise and run for more than 2 miles without coughing up a kidney. I'm 44y and working my way back up to 5 miles.
Do you carry when you run? This is a serious question - there are a couple of very nasty looking Bull Mastiff's on my walking (and future running) route. One of them almost killed a lady a couple of years ago (not sure if it was one of these two or a third one - same hose though and one of them is clearly very aggressive).

-davidtx

dukesean

Post by dukesean »

dewayneward wrote:I am a P90X'r. It is awesome! That in addition to Karate is helping me feel better, however, the actual weight is not coming off. I am hanging tight at 215-220lbs. Everyone has commented at how thin I am looking,but the actual weight is not going down, grrrr! I know about the myth of "your adding muscle", but it isnt a 1:1 replacement. I am hoping that once I hit phase 2 of P90X, it will start to come off (that is what I am being told). My plan is to get below 200, possibly in the 180-190 (my healthy weight for a 5'10" guy).
Yea that P90X is no joke! How long have you been doing it?

And I wouldn't worry too much about actual weight for now. Muscle is denser and heavier than fat, so if you're building muscle and losing fat, you may not see your weight drop much at first. Also, what is your diet? Because if that hasn't changed, you're not going to see as dramatic of results as you might be hoping.

A few years ago I was sitting at 225 (my post-college weight gain) and after some hard work, I'm back at 175. I still keep those old photos around just for motivation, and my old expired cut DL in my wallet for the same reason.
Sean H.
NRA Life Member
TSRA

dukesean

Post by dukesean »

davidtx wrote:
C-dub wrote:
KC5AV wrote:
melkor41 wrote:[SNIP]
Now I can exercise and run for more than 2 miles without coughing up a kidney. I'm 44y and working my way back up to 5 miles.
Do you carry when you run? This is a serious question - there are a couple of very nasty looking Bull Mastiff's on my walking (and future running) route. One of them almost killed a lady a couple of years ago (not sure if it was one of these two or a third one - same hose though and one of them is clearly very aggressive).

-davidtx
I've tried carrying while jogging one time, just to see what it would be like, and it is really uncomfortable. The best thing I can think of would be to get a waist pack (aka fanny pack) and put a pocket gun like LCP or Kel-Tec P38 in there. Even with that it'll be bouncing around...
Sean H.
NRA Life Member
TSRA

dukesean

Post by dukesean »

UpTheIrons wrote:About a year and a half ago, I told my wife I wanted to lose 40 pounds by my 40th birthday, which gave me almost 2 years to meet my goal. I was cruising along, well ahead of schedule, and by Christmas of 2008, I lost 30 pounds. Then, because i bought crappy shoes, I pulled a ligament in my foot and couldn't exercise for almost 2 months. That really set me back, and I gained 10+ pounds back and have been there since March of 2009.

Now, I've got 3 months to reach my goal, and 22 pounds to go. After reading through this thread, I'm finally getting motivated again. It was too easy to say "woe is me" after so much early success, but know I can do it, because I did it before. I know how stress can be mitigated through exercise, and we clergy really need that stress-busting in our daily lives - not that everyone else doesn't, but there's something about doing the Lord's work that really gets trying sometimes.

Thanks again, melkor41 for starting this thread - and to all who have contributed so far.
Speaking as someone currently in seminary, I can certainly relate to the stress it can add, and your limitations on time. You ever thought about getting an exercise group together with people from your church? Ministry+exercise could be killing two birds with one stone...

Besides, I'm pretty sure God wants us to take care of the bodies he gave us.
Sean H.
NRA Life Member
TSRA

Return to “Off-Topic”