Eastern Missouri man dies after shooting self while teaching

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 1

Eastern Missouri man dies after shooting self while teaching

Post by stevie_d_64 »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking ... 60241.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IMPERIAL, Mo. | An eastern Missouri man is dead after accidentally shooting himself while teaching firearms safety to his girlfriend.

KSDK-TV reports that 40-year-old James Looney of Imperial died of a gunshot wound to the head.

The shooting happened Friday. Jefferson County Sheriff Glenn Boyer told the station that according to witnesses, Looney was demonstrating how to use the different safety mechanisms on several guns. Witnesses told authorities that Looney would put the guns to his head, ask his girlfriend if she thought the gun would go off, then pull the trigger.

The safety mechanisms worked for the first two guns. But the third gun fired. Looney died Saturday at a hospital.
Yeah, you got that right, he'll never do that again...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Commander Cody

Re: Eastern Missouri man dies after shooting self while teaching

Post by Commander Cody »

Looney was a heck of a teacher.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

I can't imagine the stupidity of some people. If this is the full story, I feel sorry for the girlfriend, and his family he left behind.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Police also believe alcohol was involved.
http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/st-lou ... in-jeffco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I doubt his bereaved girlfriend will forget the lesson.

Few Rhodes scholars or Nobel laureates come from that part of the country.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

StewNTexas

Post by StewNTexas »

How can they call this 'teaching'. Getting some type of instruction from someone that has no clue of the subject matter is not teaching. It is sort of 'By Luck or By God' as I once heard in the hills of Tennessee. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesent.
If the 2nd admendment only applies to muskets and muzzle-loaders, then the 1st admentment must apply only to the spoken or printed word. Printing must be done on hand presses, news stories must be written in longhand, no keyboards or electric processes may be used.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Darwin Award candidate?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

They say you can't fix stupid.

But Mr. Looney did. Permanently.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

LaserTex

Post by LaserTex »

C-dub wrote:Darwin Award candidate?
:iagree: Yep - should at least be submitted. May get Honorable Mention. Probably the highest award this guy will ever receive.

Doug :txflag:
LaserTex
Air Force Retired ** Life Member VFW ** NRA Member **
** Life Member AmVets ** Patriot Guard Rider **

Taltyman

Post by Taltyman »

When my wife was a teenager she was dating a thug. Him and his buds were drinking and decided to play Russian roulette one night when she was with him. She watched him blow his brains out. I was also dating her during this time period. We are still married 40 years later. She never talks about it but I imagine it's something she'll never forget.

optman09

Post by optman09 »

I bet she joins the Brady Campaign

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

stevie_d_64 wrote:http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking ... 60241.html
IMPERIAL, Mo. | An eastern Missouri man is dead after accidentally shooting himself while teaching firearms safety to his girlfriend.

KSDK-TV reports that 40-year-old James Looney of Imperial died of a gunshot wound to the head.

The shooting happened Friday. Jefferson County Sheriff Glenn Boyer told the station that according to witnesses, Looney was demonstrating how to use the different safety mechanisms on several guns. Witnesses told authorities that Looney would put the guns to his head, ask his girlfriend if she thought the gun would go off, then pull the trigger.

The safety mechanisms worked for the first two guns. But the third gun fired. Looney died Saturday at a hospital.
Yeah, you got that right, he'll never do that again...
I thought this story sounded familiar, but then noticed it just happened. Well, after some google search I found the one I was thinking off. Looks like this guy never read this other story. The idiocy of some people explains the need to put safety warnings on everything, like "Not using your hair dryer while in the shower" warning.

http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/293333.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phoenix man killed in gun-safety demo
Arizona Daily Star
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 05.18.2009
advertisement
A 26-year-old Phoenix man accidentally killed himself early Sunday while explaining gun safety to two Sierra Vista residents.
Samuel Benally Jr. was at an apartment on West Tacoma Street when he said guns should be kept unloaded because people could point them at their heads, said Sierra Vista police Sgt. Brett Mitchell.
Benally then demonstrated by putting his own 9mm Ruger, which he believed to be unloaded, to his head and firing it, Mitchell said.
Benally was flown to University Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, Mitchell said.
An investigation is ongoing, but police do not believe alcohol or drugs were involved, Mitchell said.
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

A gun is always loaded even if it's not. :rules:

I get nervous the way some people handle guns at the counter when they are looking at a prospective purchase; both by the seller and the prospective buyer. Some people remove the mag and lock the slide open and then hand it to you to inspect while others will just hand it over with no regard to where the muzzle is pointed. Makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck when it points toward you even with a trigger lock installed.
CHL since 01/26/09

Mithras61

Post by Mithras61 »

Pete92FS wrote:A gun is always loaded even if it's not. :rules:
I was always taught "A gun is always loaded, ESPECIALLY when its not!" because of the number of people killed each year by guns that weren't loaded...

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

http://www.news10.net/news/local/story. ... ryid=67342
Deputies believe alcohol was involved.
No. REALLY?? :roll:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

kalipsocs

Post by kalipsocs »

Looks like we have another Darwain award contender

Return to “Off-Topic”