Controlling the population of black birds in DFW.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Controlling the population of black birds in DFW.

Post by Beiruty »

When I moved to greater Dallas, I was shocked by the huge number of black birds, small or medium size, I do not like any annoying black birds.

At sunset, there are thousands and thousands of such birds taking refuge on tree and hi-tension power lines.

What do the state of TX and Dallas City officials do about controlling the population of the black birds?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Controlling the population of black birds in DFW.

Post by C-dub »

As far as I know they are only concerned with them in the airports.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Rocket_Cowboy

Post by Rocket_Cowboy »

Yeah ... I'm not aware of any efforts by government to control them.

bryang
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bryang »

Someone needs to come up with a plan of some kind. :fire

These black creatures are taking over everywhere and roosting on any and everything!! :fire

I hate it when one of them black buzzards dive bomb my RED Silverado!! and they seem to have their flight plan down pat...never miss! :mad5

-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Those nasty black birds are grackles. They are protected as migratory birds. Apparently, that is working out well for them as they seem to inhabit every available surface!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Migratory? Really? From Denton to Waxahachie? Just kidding. It seemes like those things are here year round.

Although, I don't have that many in my neighborhood. We do have a lot of mockingbirds. I wonder if they've run the grackles off.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

A-R

Post by A-R »

Used to work property management for a large bank with locations in all major Texas cities. We had problems with grackles in every city from Harlingen to DFW. They would roost in the overhang above the drive-thru banking lanes and ATMs and deficate EVERYWHERE. Unbelievable stench - ground would literally be covered with white feces to the point you could not see the black asphalt below. One branch manager used to joke "They go to McDonald's (across the street) every morning to make a withdrawl, then fly over here to make a deposit"

We tried everything - netting to keep birds out from under roof overhangs, metal spikes on roosting surfaces, scarecrows, noise-makers, pneumatic air systems that were supposed to flutter like a larger animal and scare them away. Nothing worked.

Then my boss convinced higher ups to buy something similar to one of these ... http://aviandissuader.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Took a while - sending guys out every night for weeks to shine the giant golf-ball diameter laser beam at the birds. But it did the trick. Got them off our property for a season - usually had to redo the "treatment" each new season as newer, dumber, uninitiated birds would take up residence.

What's funny is that I now notice other bird-prevention treatments in other locations. I saw netting and spikes on the Supreme Court building and one of the Congressional office buidlings in Washington DC about 6 years ago when I was there.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I don't think grackles are protected except by city no shoot ordinances. We get the big trio in Galveston Grackles in the winter Pigeons/doves and seagulls. Seagulls are the nastiest.

I proposed that Galveston should allow a form of skeet shooting at the seawall. Tossing food scraps and blasting the nasty things could be a great tourist attractions, and should be more politically correct than shooting feral cats.

Just kidding ..
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

Beiruty wrote:What do the state of TX and Dallas City officials do about controlling the population of the black birds?

Maybe you could lobby the city and state for money to give out some tiny little bird condoms.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Medino

Post by Medino »

flb_78 wrote:
Beiruty wrote:What do the state of TX and Dallas City officials do about controlling the population of the black birds?

Maybe you could lobby the city and state for money to give out some tiny little bird condoms.
"rlol"
Personally, I’m interested in keeping other people from building Utopia, because the more you believe you can create heaven on earth the more likely you are to set up guillotines in the public square to hasten the process.--James Lileks

USA1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by USA1 »

Russell wrote:
flb_78 wrote:

Considering what I've heard lately we are spending on other things (click here), I bet it would at least get serious consideration before someone realized anything.
nothing surprises me anymore :yawn
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

Odessa poisons them. Pretty sure Austin has, too.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

USA1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by USA1 »

waterboard them :shock:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Return to “Off-Topic”