More Ike - it's coming right at us...

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

More Ike - it's coming right at us...

Post by mrvmax »

I live in Friendswood, a few miles from PSC. I have been trying to prepare my family since I am required to be at work for ride out crew (I work for Dow). Luckily I boarded up last night but I have no place for my wife and daughter to go so they have to stay at our home. I have plenty of water and food as well as a generator for them. Hopefully the storm surge will not flood us too bad. I sure wish I could send them somewhere but that is not really an option since we also have a dog to take care of, it makes it harder to just take off. Anyway, Lord willing, all of us in this area will make it through this.

ranberndt
Posts in topic: 1

Re: More Ike - it's coming right at us...

Post by ranberndt »

I live in Eagle Lakes. We'll be fine. I'm forced to stay as well.

In my opinion, it's too late to leave. If you left now, you be in greater danger of being stuck in the traffic.

Fuel up, prepare your property, chill out, enjoy the ride.

Randy

I rode thru Alicia on Glv island. lotsa fun.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

mrvmax wrote:I live in Friendswood, a few miles from PSC. I have been trying to prepare my family since I am required to be at work for ride out crew (I work for Dow). Luckily I boarded up last night but I have no place for my wife and daughter to go so they have to stay at our home. I have plenty of water and food as well as a generator for them. Hopefully the storm surge will not flood us too bad. I sure wish I could send them somewhere but that is not really an option since we also have a dog to take care of, it makes it harder to just take off. Anyway, Lord willing, all of us in this area will make it through this.

I understand your concern, but you'll be fine. Its not likely the Houston area will be the direct target of Ike.

However, you will be on the right front quadrant (dirty side) of the storm, so flooding and significant winds are possible.

The hard part is being away from your family during a storm. You have provided all you can for them (Good Man)...and they should be fine.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by longtooth »

You have a PM. :tiphat:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

SkipB

Post by SkipB »

You guy's in the path of the storm be safe and our prayers for everyone down there are on the way.
Skip Bishop

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Like I told Mrs. Anygun last night when she arrived home from the hospital (she is one of the nurses that will evacuate with the patients)and found me sweating over a piece of plywood with plylocks attached - one of the things 54 year old men should not be good at is hanging plywood waiting on a hurricane.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

anygunanywhere wrote:Like I told Mrs. Anygun last night when she arrived home from the hospital (she is one of the nurses that will evacuate with the patients)and found me sweating over a piece of plywood with plylocks attached - one of the things 54 year old men should not be good at is hanging plywood waiting on a hurricane.
Anygunanywhere
I'm sure my older brother (57) would agree. He just called me from Magnolia and said it looks like "Ike" might make a "hook" and threaten the Houston area more than first thought. He is looking for hurricane clips (Plyloc's), but of course the stores are sold out down there (and we don't use them up here).

Neither of his neighbors on either side have "skills", so he will be boarding up their homes too. I offered to go down and help, but he didn't think the traffic would allow for it.

So, my prayers to all who live in "strike zone" for the best possible outcome (your safety..and that of your family). Hopefully property damage won't be too bad.

We will be thinking of all our friends on the coast.

Flint.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

sivart-dod

Post by sivart-dod »

Im staying in my apartment, I see no point in leaving. I have everything I need, food, water, and ammo :cool: Plus, in case of power outages i've got to watch out for those looters!!! :fire

But seriously, I hope everyone is prepared

Good Luck!!

mr.72

Post by mr.72 »

according to the current track it certainly looks like it's going to come a lot closer to Galveston than Corpus... which is good news for those of us in Austin :mrgreen: The track going to Corpus would have made the hook drive a reduced-power Ike right on top of us.

So I guess I bought these 500 cans of campbell's soup, 10,000 rounds of ammo and 500 gallons of diesel for nothing, eh?
non-conformist CHL holder

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I live in Friendswood and it doesn't look good for our area. At this point, we're staying, but that could change. I've sent PMs to the two Friendswood residents that posted on this thread.

Chas.

gmckinl

Post by gmckinl »

mr.72 wrote:according to the current track it certainly looks like it's going to come a lot closer to Galveston than Corpus... which is good news for those of us in Austin :mrgreen: The track going to Corpus would have made the hook drive a reduced-power Ike right on top of us.

So I guess I bought these 500 cans of campbell's soup, 10,000 rounds of ammo and 500 gallons of diesel for nothing, eh?
I know a few of us can take that nasty old smelly diesel off your hands. 'Bout a dollar a gallon is all I'd charge you to haul it off. :rolll
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

mrvmax wrote:I live in Friendswood, a few miles from PSC. I have been trying to prepare my family since I am required to be at work for ride out crew (I work for Dow). Luckily I boarded up last night but I have no place for my wife and daughter to go so they have to stay at our home. I have plenty of water and food as well as a generator for them. Hopefully the storm surge will not flood us too bad. I sure wish I could send them somewhere but that is not really an option since we also have a dog to take care of, it makes it harder to just take off. Anyway, Lord willing, all of us in this area will make it through this.
You have a PM.
LT
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Thanks for the offer and advice, my neighbor is going to ride it out so he can help my wife and daughter if needed. He is going to have his skid steer (which has a "claw" that can remove trees and debris) and 4x4. I feel a little more at ease, I hate to leave my family. I am all boarded up and have at least a couple weeks worth of food and water at home. The generator is gassed up and I have 30 gallons of fuel, I think they will be alright. Godspeed to everyone out there, I'll report in this weekend or next week whenever I get released from work.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

We will pray for you & all on the coast.

longhorn_92

Post by longhorn_92 »

longtooth wrote:We will pray for you & all on the coast.

Absolutely....

I would not wish this on anyone!
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

Return to “Off-Topic”