More Military Equipment for Cops

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: More Military Equipment for Cops

Post by Pawpaw »

The problem isn't them HAVING the equipment for contingency use. The problem is that most of the time, once they have it they feel they have to use it just to prove they needed it.

That's how the overuse of SWAT teams got out of hand. Got to justify the money spent.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 3

Post by nightmare69 »

The equipment that was obtained here was given to them through a grant program. It didn't cost the tax payers a dime. I've only seen it actually used once, rest of the time it's used in parades and local events for show.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

nightmare69 wrote:The equipment that was obtained here was given to them through a grant program. It didn't cost the tax payers a dime. I've only seen it actually used once, rest of the time it's used in parades and local events for show.
Didn't cost the taxpayers a dime? So this equipment magically appeared without the American citizen being forced to pay for it through taxation?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

bblhd672 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:The equipment that was obtained here was given to them through a grant program. It didn't cost the tax payers a dime. I've only seen it actually used once, rest of the time it's used in parades and local events for show.
Didn't cost the taxpayers a dime? So this equipment magically appeared without the American citizen being forced to pay for it through taxation?
I'm not going to dig that far into it. It didn't come out the the dept, city, or county's budget.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

It seems like the order is/ was revised.

Trump to restore program sending surplus military weapons, equipment to police
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/tru ... dfc8870840
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Maybe the gubmint ought to melt down all the surplus and build more tin cans for the skimmers to use for merchant ship targets.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

G.A. Heath wrote:As usual I see both sides. I feel that certain equipment, that has been properly demilitarized in many cases, is acceptable. My rule of thumb is that the vast majority of (read all) military gear should not be placed in law enforcement hands unless it is offered for sale to the public in the exact same configuration.
:iagree:

I was going to post the exact same thing. If it is OK for police to possess something, then it should be OK for any law abiding citizen to possess the same thing.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Pawpaw wrote:The problem isn't them HAVING the equipment for contingency use. The problem is that most of the time, once they have it they feel they have to use it just to prove they needed it.

That's how the overuse of SWAT teams got out of hand. Got to justify the money spent.
These are my sentiments as well. Use them when it hits the fan not for no knock warrants. Or like the Waco bomb squad because someone abandoned a van and you want to show off
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Pawpaw wrote:The problem isn't them HAVING the equipment for contingency use. The problem is that most of the time, once they have it they feel they have to use it just to prove they needed it.

I think Pawpaw and I are thinking along the same lines.

Yes, just like SWAT teams were (and still are) a good idea for their original purpose, they have become waaaaay overused, IMHO. If a department HAS a SWAT team, they're going to USE that SWAT team. Often whether it's tactically called for or not.

That's my same fear with much of this military equipment: even if the local department gets it for free through grants, those departments are going to have a desire to use that equipment, so they will find a "need" to use that equipment.

As I said in my original post; I'm not against this program ENTIRELY. Some of it is just fine with me - ballistic vests, for one example. I'm ok with that. But due to the type of equipment that is available in this program, I just think we need to go at this VERY slowly and with great consideration and some kind of oversight - not like a kid running wild in a toy store!

Just saw this on Fox News. Looks like John Lott is all for it.
President Trump’s approach of protecting police and make it easier for them to protect Americans couldn’t come sooner.
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/08/ ... ement.html

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

I.E., if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

:shock:

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

thatguyoverthere wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/08 ... -says.html
The Trump administration is preparing to lift an Obama-era policy that restricted surplus military equipment from being used by local law enforcement agencies.

The government program, which allowed local police to use military equipment such as armored vehicles, firearms, ammunition and grenade launchers, had been curtailed when President Obama signed an executive order in 2015 banning it.
I used to see no problem with cops obtaining equipment designed for use in war. I'm a little older and (hopefully) a little wiser, now I DO see a problem with it - at least some of it.

Don't get me wrong; I support the police; I support law & order; the police do need to be able to do their jobs. But (in my opinion) cops don't need grenade launchers and tanks. (See the book: "Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces")

I'm surprised that I find myself actually agreeing with the Obama administration in this case. :shock: But I think we need to take a very hard look at this policy of giving real "weapons of war" to police departments for use against American citizens.

What do you think?
That was a great book. I understand and can see where police could have potential uses for this kind of equipment; so I'm not entirely against them having it. But..... when you have a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail, and so now, policing needs a thorough overhaul. I would feel a WHOLE lot better about local gov't having that kind of stuff, if I was also allowed to have it (better yet, have it donated to me by gov't).

1. Using SWAT to serve common warrants is asking for trouble.
2. Using SWAT to kick down doors to serve warrants for non-violent possession of small amounts of drugs is asking for trouble.
3. If you HAVE to go arrest someone, just wait for him to come outside! It's not that hard to figure out.
4. STOP with the asset forfeiture nonsense!
5. RESTORE accountability. STOP shielding shoddy work products and lazy police from consequences. If a cop shoots and kills an innocent homeowner because police served a no-knock warrant at the wrong address, and the homeowner protected his property, that cop should go down for murder.....JUST LIKE ANY OTHER CITIZEN would have to face. If police go to prison for killing innocent civilians, maybe they'll start exercising due diligence before kicking down doors.

Yes, some of these things requirements might make a cop's job harder - but they will ALSO restore trust and repair the damage done by shoddy police work. And I freely concede that not every dept that receives this kind of stuff from the feds is going to abuse it. Although I've never seen it, my guess is that my local PD has an APC of some kind or other. But local police here don't relate to the population in an aggressive manner, so it's a non-issue. Effective policing requires the cooperation and good will of the community in which they police. In fact, I just found this image of Grapevine's armored vehicle.....first time I've ever seen it. Why? Because the GPD doesn't make unwanted headlines for itself by acting like jack wagons:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RogueUSMC »

SRO1911 wrote:not exactly the topic, but I spent most of this evening working on the hmmv our fire department just bought (hmmv's stink btw).
it will effectively fill a very specific need for us, and do it far cheaper than the next best commercial alternative.

if there is a clear need for the equipment, and it is used appropriately - I see no problem.
We spent more time fixing them than we did driving them in the Corps...keep a good stock of CV boots on-hand...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RogueUSMC wrote:
SRO1911 wrote:not exactly the topic, but I spent most of this evening working on the hmmv our fire department just bought (hmmv's stink btw).
it will effectively fill a very specific need for us, and do it far cheaper than the next best commercial alternative.

if there is a clear need for the equipment, and it is used appropriately - I see no problem.
We spent more time fixing them than we did driving them in the Corps...keep a good stock of CV boots on-hand...
I had no idea. Civilians are led to believe that the HMMV is a nearly indestructible beast. So much for propaganda. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”