Tower - Documentary

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Tower - Documentary

Post by Scott B. »

Watched the documentary, 'Tower' on Netflix. It's available for streaming or DVD rental.

It's obviously about the Aug. 1, 1966, UT shooting. It's a hybrid of archival footage and animation, multi-POV, first person narration. It's really well done, tragic of course, and only anti gun at the very end when they play Uncle Walter espousing his viewpoint.

Two thumbs up.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Tower - Documentary

Post by Lynyrd »

My brother was there on campus that day. Scary time for the family at the time. Hard to get in touch with people in 66.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

So you would say it was much better than the Netflix reviews? I think it was sitting at one and a half stars when I saw it on there the other day.
Psalm 91:2

Bladed
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bladed »

SQLGeek wrote:So you would say it was much better than the Netflix reviews? I think it was sitting at one and a half stars when I saw it on there the other day.
It kind of downplays the significance of the people who returned fire--something that got significant coverage in the Texas Monthly article on which the documentary is based--and it gives a little too much credence to Ramiro Martinez's concerns about campus carry, but overall it's a very good documentary.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

SQLGeek wrote:So you would say it was much better than the Netflix reviews? I think it was sitting at one and a half stars when I saw it on there the other day.
Yes.

Low rating could be because of the subject matter, that it's a documentary, that it's victim/participant pov but excludes the shooter.

I thought it was a really clever way of telling the story. The animation makes the participants the age they were then, which 'modernizes' a 50 year old story, and it's inter-cut with period footage to reinforce the animation.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Good to hear. I'll add it to my list.
Psalm 91:2

Return to “Off-Topic”