MOAB

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

G26ster
Posts in topic: 3

Re: MOAB

Post by G26ster »

My point in saying "so what" was not to say it was not sensationalism. Just pointing out that we (our military), over history, has given sensational nicknames to aircraft and other weapons, given our units sensational nicknames (complete with logos depicting various predators and raptors, painted sensational slogans on the sides of aircraft, painted sensational slogans on tank and artillery gun tubes, and bombs, etc. Who, exactly, coined the phrase will probably never be known. But I doubt it was the gov't or the press, and most likely by those that worked on the bomb itself. So, the "so what" was nothing more than pointing that out.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Abraham »

I like potatoes.

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Post by troglodyte »

Abraham wrote:I like potatoes.
Would that be po-ta-toes or po-tah-toes?

I need to know which side to argue. :biggrinjester:
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I think the sensationalism works. Helps with the psychological effects on the enemy. It's been called the Mother of All Bombs since it was developed back in 2003.
Psalm 91:2

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

troglodyte,

A baked po-tah-toe with cheddar cheese and green onions, hold the sour cream.

They're sensational!

The Mother of all po-tah-toes!!

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

"The prize potato, grown by Peter Glazebrook, tips the scales at a whopping 8lbs 4oz (3.76kg), smashing the previous world record by 9oz"

MOAP?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... otato.html

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

G26ster,

Yup!

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Bitter Clinger »

One single MOAB impacting the earth causes a force equivalent to Amy Schumer sitting down at a buffet table.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

doncb

Post by doncb »

I think calling it the "Mother Of All Bombs" is a bit sexist. Bombs are usually thought of as male. Unless of course this one identifies itself as female. Or maybe it's a transgender bomb.
:biggrinjester:
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

doncb,

Yer killin me...

A tranny-bomb, bwahahahahahaha!!!!

BHill

Post by BHill »

crazy2medic wrote:Just a FYI, this thing generates 142 psi of overpressure, that is 1,308,672 psi in a 4'×8' area!

Not sure your math is correct. 48*96*142 = 652,336 pounds and remains 142 psi regardless of square inches. Still a tremendous amount.
NRA Life Member

Topic author
parabelum
Posts in topic: 6

Post by parabelum »

BHill wrote:
crazy2medic wrote:Just a FYI, this thing generates 142 psi of overpressure, that is 1,308,672 psi in a 4'×8' area!

Not sure your math is correct. 48*96*142 = 652,336 pounds and remains 142 psi regardless of square inches. Still a tremendous amount.
Is that more then the amount of flatulentce coming out of Maxine "the Wig" Waters? :shock:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I've moved on...to squash, zucchini and/or plain ole yellow, mmmhhh.....

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Am I the only one who thinks "Easter Jeep Safari" when I see the title of this thread?

I want to say I remember hearing about this device being tested around Florida and how people initially thought it had been a small nuclear device. When deployed against tunnel systems such as those in Afghanistan these devices actually do three things. They force over-pressured hot oxygen depleted air into the cave system. They then suck all of that back out. Finally they physically crush large areas of the cave system. Any combustible material in the cave system usually catches fire, living organisms usually suffocate and/or burn, and anything fragile will usually be destroyed. Ammunition and explosives are usually set off while tools and weapons that are machined for precision work are usually warped rendering them useless or less effective at best. These air/fuel weapons are truly better against cave systems than a bunker buster type weapon and can effectively cause damage miles away from the blast point inside the cave system.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Bitter Clinger »

parabelum wrote:
BHill wrote:

:iagree: psi is psi. Dimensional analysis rules apply. 10X atmospheric.
Last edited by Bitter Clinger on Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Return to “Off-Topic”