State Fair of Texas (tentative) Saturday Oct 15

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Would you attend a forum member event at the State Fair of Texas?

Yes
13%
Yes, but only on a weekend
17%
Yes, but only on a weekday
4%
No
24%
No, because they don't allow open carry
2%
No, because I do not live in that area
39%

Total votes: 46

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 5

Re: State Fair of Texas

Post by Pawpaw »

AJSully421 wrote:
SoConfused wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:I sent them a nicely worded email.

As to the poll my response would be: No, because I don't want for my truck to get broken in to, or being murdered by one of Obama's sons.
What's the email address you used? I would like to do the same.
The only one I could find was the general box: info@bigtex.com
That's it: http://bigtex.com/about/contact/

Scroll down. It's under "General Questions".
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

SoConfused wrote:
C-dub wrote:
SoConfused wrote:You've got it backwards. Read what you bolded again. It is not leased BY the city during the fair. It's leased BY The State Fair of Texas. What you're thinking about would apply if, let's say, the city rented a Walmart parking lot for an event. In that case the land is leased BY the city. See the difference?
The city would still be prohibited from prohibiting licensees from carrying even if they are leasing from a private land owner. Remember, the law says if the property is owned or leased by a government entity.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant with the Walmart analogy. I was just soconfused about them still owning fair park even though they lease it out.
It's all good.

It will be interesting to see what their responses are to inquiries regarding the legality of their ability to prohibit OC. I don't think it is an otherwise prohibited place where they could claim that exemption for OC.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Pawpaw »

Here is the article I mentioned earlier about the Privatization of the state fair. It would still be city property.

http://www.fox4news.com/news/196898985-story
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

SoConfused
Posts in topic: 13

Post by SoConfused »

Pawpaw wrote:Here is the article I mentioned earlier about the Privatization of the state fair. It would still be city property.

http://www.fox4news.com/news/196898985-story
That article talks about privatization of "Fair Park", not "The State Fair of Texas". It's a little deceptive because at the end it mentions "home of the state fair". The Stare Fair of Texas is a private non profit organization. To my knowledge, it's never been owned by a government entity.
The State Fair of Texas is a Texas nonprofit organization granted tax-exempt status by the Internal Revenue Service under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.

The Fair does not receive any government funding or support. Its nonprofit purpose is funded through the proceeds from the annual State Fair of Texas event.
http://bigtex.com/about/financialhighlights/

But of course, as you said, it's a moot point since they lease the land from the city, but the city still owns the land.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

We're still only talking about the management of Fair Park. Not actual ownership as SoConfused points out.

I remember hearing about this on the news a few days ago and wondering what little trick they would try to pull to try and exclude licensees from carrying in the park and or at The State Fair. Especially after that AG ruling about non-profits on city property.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Kenneth77
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kenneth77 »

This is off the web site
Weapons and sharp metal objects, such as pocket knives, scissors and the like, are not allowed. The State of Texas does allow a person holding a valid concealed handgun license to enter into Fair Park with a concealed handgun. However, during the State Fair of Texas and some other special events, licenses will be examined at the entrance by an authorized security supervisor. In accordance with Texas laws that protect "premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place," handguns are never permitted inside the Cotton Bowl.
I could have sworn that i saw somewhere that the fair was going to welcome OC and thought i had scene a few pics of people doing it somewhere but i guess not since it opens in sept
leeproductsonline.com

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

SoConfused wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:
SoConfused wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:Just because the law says they can't, doesn't mean they won't. It took some time to get them to allow concealed carry.

I wonder if that website would be enough to file a complaint with the AG?
They can legally prohibit both concealed and open carry if they put up the signs since it's a private organization.
It doesn't matter if it's a private organization or not because it's city property. The signs would be unenforceable. It also does not meet the criteria of an amusement park.
Unfortunately, it won't be city property. The State Fair of Texas leases the land every year, effectively making it private property for the duration of the fair.
This was all discussed to length about CC a few years ago and as was found out, as long as the property is owned by the city they cannot prohibit CC. I would suspect it to be the same with OC although I would not OC there. I think this should be turned over to the AG although time is running short to do so.

As for TT's original question, we are planning on going on a Thursday (senior citizens days) when fewer people are there. Set it up for then and we may could meet up.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 14

Post by TexasTornado »

Thursday's are really rough for me with work. Could we manage a Friday? I have a coupon to bring a friend for free so I could still get you in at the Thursday rate :coolgleamA:
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

SoConfused

Post by SoConfused »

TexasTornado wrote:Thursday's are really rough for me with work. Could we manage a Friday? I have a coupon to bring a friend for free so I could still get you in at the Thursday rate :coolgleamA:
The problem I see with week days are many of us have kids. My daughter's school isn't providing a day off for the fair like when I was a kid, limiting me to weekends only. :cryin

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

I'm more interested in getting together with other DFW area forum members to socialize in a relaxed manner, share a meal, do some shooting, etc.

However, being in a group of LTC's who are concealed carrying would definitely make the State Fair a safer visit.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

SoConfused wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:Thursday's are really rough for me with work. Could we manage a Friday? I have a coupon to bring a friend for free so I could still get you in at the Thursday rate :coolgleamA:
The problem I see with week days are many of us have kids. My daughter's school isn't providing a day off for the fair like when I was a kid, limiting me to weekends only. :cryin
Would after school on a Friday be doable? The fair is better with the lights anyhow in my opinion. Maybe we could meet at Big Tex at 4pm and 6pm? To give a couple of time windows?
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
TexasTornado

Re: State Fair of Texas (tentative) Saturday Oct 15

Post by TexasTornado »

Does Saturday the 15th work for everyone?

I was thinking we should meet at Big Tex at 5:00pm. It should be cooling off at that point and is just in time to grab a Turkey leg for dinner!

NRA Lifetime Member

SoConfused

Post by SoConfused »

TexasTornado wrote:Does Saturday the 15th work for everyone?

I was thinking we should meet at Big Tex at 5:00pm. It should be cooling off at that point and is just in time to grab a Turkey leg for dinner!
Works for my family. Just remember, there's a ton of people there Saturday's so bring extra ammo! "rlol"

Topic author
TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

SoConfused wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:Does Saturday the 15th work for everyone?

Works for my family. Just remember, there's a ton of people there Saturday's so bring extra ammo! "rlol"
Yey! Well that's 2 of us at least. :clapping:

NRA Lifetime Member

rp_photo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rp_photo »

SoConfused wrote: They can legally prohibit both concealed and open carry if they put up the signs since it's a private organization.
Make that public or private as convenient.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

Return to “Off-Topic”