Traveling to South Padre, what about CBP

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Glockster
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Traveling to South Padre, what about CBP

Post by Glockster »

I travel there several times a year, and in fact if you're going this weekend we may well pass each other on the road as I am going there in the morning! As stated above, they do not have stops on the way down, only on the way back up. To be blunt, if you do not fit the profile they will waive you off before you even have your car completely stopped. Having said that, I would advise against speeding going to and from there, particularly as you cross the bridge onto SPI. But they often also have heavy speed limit enforcement (the locals) anywhere South of Corpus Christi and you are much more likely to be stopped by them than CBP.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

I have been stopped on 77 NB in Sarita.

"Are you a US Citizen ?"

"Yes Sir."

"Have a great day."
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

A little off topic, but two years ago I flew out of Brownsville, a border agent asked for my ID prior to the TSA check point. I open my wallet to get my DL and he saw my CHL ID. He quickly became suspicious and wanted to know why I had two IDs. I explained it was my CHL ID and also informed him I had no weapon on me.
He told me he had never seen a CHL ID. He just saw my picture on the ID and thought I might be carrying two different IDs.
We were both polite to each other, I went on and boarded the plane. No problems. I was just surprised he had never seen a CHL ID before ( I know, LTC now, but CHL back then).
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

What's the point of these checkpoints?

Surely, it isn't to stop further illegal alien incursions, is it?

If so, it's failing miserably.

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 2

Post by J.R.@A&M »

WTR wrote:I pass thru CBP check points dozens of times per year, if you aren't transporting drugs for the dog to hit on, all they ask you is your citizenship. I've never had them ask me about my weapons. Do be respectful, I did see them make a smart mouth man's life a living heck.
I have had them also ask me my destination, and whether anyone else was in the car with me. I think their intention was to gauge my reaction to their questions, not to obtain the information itself. This extra line of questioning also came early one morning when there was not a line of cars.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"I have had them also ask me my destination, and whether anyone else was in the car with me."

These kind of questions annoy the heck out of me.

I'm an American citizen and as long as I'm not breaking any laws, it's none of their business who my passenger may be and where I'm going.

Were I asked and felt motivated, I might just be one of those guys who refuse to answer such "none of their business" questions and face the consequences. Of course, there should be no consequences, but given some of these BP guys have their own insupportable attitudes towards demeaning American citizens, there probably would be...

This kind of thing is a pet peeve.

If I'm not breaking any laws, (and they're not chasing some recent law breaker, just pestering me and others....) LE has no business interrogating me.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Abraham wrote:"I have had them also ask me my destination, and whether anyone else was in the car with me."

I'm an American citizen and as long as I'm not breaking any laws, it's none of their business who my passenger may be and where I'm going.

Were I asked and felt motivated, I might just be one of those guys who refuse to answer such "none of their business" questions and face the consequences. Of course, there should be no consequences, but given some of these BP guys have their own insupportable attitudes towards demeaning American citizens, there probably would be...

If I'm not breaking any laws, (and they're not chasing some recent law breaker, just pestering me and others....) LE has no business interrogating me.
I agree with you completely and I had no idea what a CBP was until I googled it. I obviously have never been through one. There is a good primer on https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... der-patrol which discusses the legal authority of the Border Patrol so I guess it has gone through the courts and is legal.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

rotor wrote:
Abraham wrote:"I have had them also ask me my destination, and whether anyone else was in the car with me."

I agree with you completely and I had no idea what a CBP was until I googled it. I obviously have never been through one. There is a good primer on https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... der-patrol which discusses the legal authority of the Border Patrol so I guess it has gone through the courts and is legal.
Based on this you have the option of remaining mute and refusing to communicate until they either develop probable cause from their non-intrusive observations or let you go. Some people will do this. Most will just hand them a ID or Passport and be done with it.

Getting back to the original post...having an AR-15 rifle and ammunition in your passenger compartment is not illegal and therefore requires no further justification to the Feds. I doubt these checks help keep out illegal aliens, they're just another hassle for the rest of us.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

koine2002,

This is the easiest path, no doubt.

I just think it's insulting to be asked such intrusive questions.

As to it's reason being to stop/slow down drug traffic, pfffffft, as if....

BP ought to be working at preventing illegal alien intrusion, not pestering U.S. citizens with lame, bothersome, time consuming unreasonable, non-productive questions.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

In 98 I told one at the CP East of Eagle Pass when he asked if I was a US citizen" That's what my Passport says".
I don't think he appreciated my humor, but he didn't give me any guff.

:patriot:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Ericjd0887

Post by Ericjd0887 »

I've been to matamoros Mexico and back a couple times this year now and every time I have gone through that check point, a dog has walked around the car, and of course... no hit, then I get asked if I'm a us citizen and if everyone in the car with me, is a us citizen. Not once have I've been asked to show id and the gun is sitting in the middle compartment, but they have no idea and don't need to know.

Topic author
suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Ya no problem went through it they asked "you 2 both Americans" I said yes all 3 of us he missed my kid in back seat.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

techenigma

Post by techenigma »

No need to mention anything. You're a citizen and you are travelling free. I've never been asked anything other than if I am a us citizen and waved along.

Return to “Off-Topic”