Traveling to South Padre, what about CBP

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
suthdj
Posts in topic: 3

Traveling to South Padre, what about CBP

Post by suthdj »

Since I may encounter CBP checkpoints is there anything I should be worried about as I will be traveling with an AR and loaded mags behind seat as far as I understand I should be ok I only worry if I get pulled for further inspection and they try to make an issue out of it.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

RicoTX
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Traveling to South Padre, what about CBP

Post by RicoTX »

Personally the only answer I give is that I am an American Citizen. If I was requested to consent to a further inspection, I would refuse. They will call a supervisor over and waste time, but I don't think refusal is PC. I think the whole idea of secondary checkpoints is ridiculous anyway...but that is just my opinion. I don't think they would give you much of a hard time if you show them your id...assuming you want to. If they were to ever detain someone just for having a few guns, I think they would pay a huge price... they would if it was me anyway. At the actual border is a completely different story.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

RicoTX wrote:Personally the only answer I give is that I am an American Citizen...At the actual border is a completely different story.
If you have a USA passport or passport card, show it to CBP as proof of USA citizenship, with the right to be anywhere within USA borders, end-of-story.

If you have a reservation for a hotel/motel in South Padre, have that printed out and ready to show, as it is yet another reason for CBP to send you down the road.

As I see it, the AR & loaded mags are better off in the trunk, but that is a separate matter.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

I pass thru CBP check points dozens of times per year, if you aren't transporting drugs for the dog to hit on, all they ask you is your citizenship. I've never had them ask me about my weapons. Do be respectful, I did see them make a smart mouth man's life a living hell.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

There is no check point I don't think going to S. Padre. At least there wasn't the last time I was down there. It's coming back that you will get stopped. I have never been stopped or even asked for ID. Been through there many times. You don't need no stinkin passport. Your drivers license is good enough. If asked for ID give them you DL and your LTC if you have one.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

The Wall wrote:There is no check point I don't think going to S. Padre. At least there wasn't the last time I was down there. It's coming back that you will get stopped. I have never been stopped or even asked for ID. Been through there many times. You don't need no stinkin passport. Your drivers license is good enough. If asked for ID give them you DL and your LTC if you have one.
You don't give the Feds your LTC...no reason to.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Have never been asked for ID. (I'm a white boy). None of my "Mexican American " workers have been asked for ID. My one friend who declared she was a German citizen was asked for her Visa.

Topic author
suthdj
Posts in topic: 3

Post by suthdj »

Thanks for the responses. I dont have a trunk so AR is behind seat I just dont want to deal with any surprises if or when a dog hits on ammo if they even can and not have the AR stored properly since I'm not crossing state lines I figured i was ok.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Border Patrol is one of those branches that continues to get slammed and undermined by BO's dictatorial regime. Their Union endorsed Trump.
They get smacked around enough already. Now, BLM agents etc. :mad5 that's a different story.
I'd only make an issue if they were dis-courteous you-know-whats...

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

There isn't any reason for concern, An AR15 is legal even in this Obamian world. It's legal even if its locked and loaded and at your side. The only person required to have an ID in this case is the driver, and its probably not required by law to show it to a border patrol agent (they aren't there to enforce traffic codes). This is America, and we are not required to have an an ID on our person.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

parabelum wrote:Border Patrol is one of those branches that continues to get slammed and undermined by BO's dictatorial regime. Their Union endorsed Trump.
They get smacked around enough already. Now, BLM agents etc. :mad5 that's a different story.
I'd only make an issue if they were dis-courteous you-know-whats...
Border patrol agents will never get points from me with these roadside roadblocks. Pulling people over miles away from the border, is unreasonable search.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

ScottDLS wrote:
The Wall wrote:There is no check point I don't think going to S. Padre. At least there wasn't the last time I was down there. It's coming back that you will get stopped. I have never been stopped or even asked for ID. Been through there many times. You don't need no stinkin passport. Your drivers license is good enough. If asked for ID give them you DL and your LTC if you have one.
You don't even have to tell them you're an American citizen. :evil2:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

bear94

Post by bear94 »

I live in the valley and regularly go through the checkpoint before falfurrias. I've had several rifles and loads of ammo in the back and they've never asked about it. I also "fit the description" of their suspects and even then I've never been questioned beyond the US citizen question. Often times the BP agent will wave me through without asking a question.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

ScottDLS wrote:
I know you don't have to, but thought if you had AR 15 and loaded magazines in your back seat it wouldn't hurt. We've all heard where LEO's have let folks go with warnings on traffic stops because of it.

bear94

Post by bear94 »

They're Feds, our LTC's don't mean anything to them so I don't see why you'd voluntarily give more information to them.

Return to “Off-Topic”