After-storm weirdness

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Re: After-storm weirdness

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC wrote:I'll be going to my first crawfish boil with a friend soon - can't wait :)

I had to chuckle, though - she said that various Yankee friends of hers have turned green at the thought when invited so she asked if I was sure I wouldn't be squeamish. After all the stuff I've eaten on various bush-survival courses, I just smiled and said 'Nope'.
LOL. That reminds me of my introduction to sushi. Someone recommended I try "uni", expecting me to be disgusted. When I saw it, I said "well that's just sea urchin; heck I've busted open hundreds of them and scooped out the meat and eaten it while the spines were still wiggling." That put an end to any anticipation of my horror at the thought/sight of anything sushi....

If you like lobster and shrimp, you'll like mudbugs.......pretty much the same kind of bottom feeding crustacean flavor. I've enjoyed the crawfish boils I've been to. The biggest problem I've had is that my hands get sore after a while from peeling off the shells. The "downside" (if there can be such a thing in eating something good) is that there's not a whole lot of meat inside most of them, so you have to bust open a whole lot of them to reach satiation. If you get one where the meat is as big as your thumb, you're doing well. The upside is that with all the other stuff that gets tossed in and boiled with them - shrimp, corn on the cob, sausage, potatoes, etc. - you get a pretty big meal. Of course, beer helps it to all go down and "settle". :thumbs2:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Tracker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tracker »

twomillenium wrote:Actually, the nearest body of crawfish water would be almost any drainage ditch that has a small level of water for any extended time.
I remember crawfish dams or houses in the small drainage ditches in front of the house when I was growing up. My brother and I use to tie a piece of bacon on a string and pull them up until we learned that we were happier keeping the bacon for ourselves.
So you ate that bacon raw, too, after it was heated by the summer sun?

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 3

Post by twomillenium »

Tracker wrote:
twomillenium wrote:Actually, the nearest body of crawfish water would be almost any drainage ditch that has a small level of water for any extended time.
I remember crawfish dams or houses in the small drainage ditches in front of the house when I was growing up. My brother and I use to tie a piece of bacon on a string and pull them up until we learned that we were happier keeping the bacon for ourselves.
Use your imagination just remember bacon is bacon. :lol:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 3

Post by twomillenium »

If it can rain cats n dogs then I imagine mudbugs and turtles wouldn't be that hard.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Tracker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tracker »

twomillenium wrote:
Tracker wrote:
Use your imagination just remember bacon is bacon. :lol:
No meed for an imagination, seemed like pretty natural thing to do.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

AndyC wrote:[img]Crawfish%20Image[/img]
:drool:
NRA Endowment Member

n5wd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by n5wd »

During the persistent rains last year, the Farm to Market road that is next to our property in southwest Denton County was closed many days due to Denton Creek overflowing the banks and washing over the road. TxDOT would station a pickup truck with flashing lights to make sure no one went around the barriers. Had to be boring for the guys, so my son and daughter-in-law rode the Gator out to see the crew one evening, loaded with snacks... they found the TxDOT worker had a bait bucket full of crawdads scooped up off the roadway. Apparently, the bucket was pretty much full.

I remember my parents trying to get me to eat crawdads when we lived next to the bayou in South Houston when I was in the 1st grade. Never developed a taste for them.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Return to “Off-Topic”