BOUNTY HUNTERS

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 2

Re: BOUNTY HUNTERS

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Was anyone in the house a fugitive? If so does that give the bounty hunter rights ?
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 4

Post by VMI77 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounty_hunter
In the United States of America, bounty hunters have varying levels of authority in their duties with regard to their targets depending on which states they operate in. As opined in Taylor v. Taintor, and barring restrictions applicable state by state, a bounty hunter can enter the fugitive's private property without a warrant in order to execute a re-arrest. They cannot, however, enter the property of anyone other than the fugitive without a warrant or the owner's permission.
Texas

A Texas bounty hunter is required to be a peace officer, Level III (armed) security officer, or a private investigator.[10]
http://people.howstuffworks.com/bounty-hunting1.htm
All the bounty hunter needs to make an arrest is a copy of the "bail piece" (the paperwork indicating that the person is a fugitive) and, in some states, a certified copy of the bond. He or she doesn't need a warrant, can enter private property unannounced and doesn't have to read a fugitive his or her Miranda rights before making the arrest. But there are rules and regulations to the job. The bail bond contract gives bounty hunters the right to enter the home of a fugitive, but only after establishing without a doubt that the person lives there. They cannot enter the homes of friends or family members to look for the fugitive.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Topic author
WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by WTR »

Never heard of the fugitive before the other morning......the BBs went to a bogus address. My friend will stack up the Bail Bondsmen like cord wood if they every try their tactics again.......he is POed. What responsibility do the BBs have to make sure they have a valid address? Remember the AZ Sheriff's incident?

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Richbirdhunter »

WTR wrote:Never heard of the fugitive before the other morning......the BBs went to a bogus address. My friend will stack up the Bail Bondsmen like cord wood if they every try their tactics again.......he is POed. What responsibility do the BBs have to make sure they have a valid address? Remember the AZ Sheriff's incident?
If the Bounty Hunter was at the wrong place I'd think home invasion robbery. If one came to my house that's what I would think
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 6

Post by E.Marquez »

WTR wrote:we both live in the country and it has always taken the Deputies about an hour to respond to what they consider a " non emergency" call.
911 what is your emergency ?
"I have two home invaders detained at gunpoint, I'm in fear for my life, and may be forced to defend myself, please send help"

Rule #1, the first caller is the victim, all others are suspects.
It's not a " non emergency" call once a threat against you (your friend) is made.

I think others answered your pointed question of the trespassing signs.. :thumbs2:
Time for your friend to have a discussion with the Sheriff, and if know the Bail bondsmen that contracted the bounty hunter.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Topic author
WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

He is making arrangement to enclose his front area so the dogs can roam. We aren't use to asking for help. 911 may be called to send the coroner. If they can't get it right or at least be polite and not act like storm troopers.......then that's their problem.

jed
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jed »

WTR wrote:He is making arrangement to enclose his front area so the dogs can roam. We aren't use to asking for help. 911 may be called to send the coroner. If they can't get it right or at least be polite and not act like storm troopers.......then that's their problem.
I can understand them having the wrong address. But their behavior us unacceptable for me. I am VERY protective of my property, especially considering my house is way off the road. With their described behavior and threats to his dogs, even after being told they had the wrong address, I would consider the entire incident to be an invasion on my property with threats to invade my home. It is a wonder they were not shot.

The Wall
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Wall »

I would think they would at least have to show some kind of ID. He didn't know that they weren't just some punks impersonating bounty hunters. I'm not sure what right they have to enter your house or property. Maybe Charles will be able to shed some light on this. I might have dialed 911 and reported someone pounding on the door and trying to break in. Let them and the cops sort it out. Anyone trying to come into my house uninvited and without proper ID could run into a .357 piece of lead.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

WWDCD...? What would Duane Chapman (Dog, the Bounty Hunter) do? :shock: :evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 11

Post by EEllis »

Glockster wrote:
EEllis wrote:No they can't ignore a no trespass sign but generally speaking, sign or not, going up and knocking at a door is not tresspassing. If it's ok for the mail carrier, UPS, or Fed EX to walk up then anyone can. When someone gets bonded out they do give up some right but that only goes for their rights. No one else's.
I disagree - commercial carriers or USPS in delivering your packages or mail have been given by you at least implicit permission to do so. The same for a utility services meter reader as you would have authorized that as a term of services. As for someone else trespassing by coming to your door, I think that depends upon where you have it posted. If you have a fence around your yard and a gate, and it is posted, then passing that point I believe would be trespass as your property is not open to the public. If it is just the door posted, then I believe that it is at that point that the potential for trespass begins. So I think that it depends upon where and how the notice is given, and here the OP didn't say where the signs were or the other conditions.
Doesn't matter. Look it's not what we think it should be, it's what the courts have said. In a case like this if they went to knock on the door you can't get a criminal trespass. There is plentiful Texas case law about this.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

"if they went to knock on the door you can't get a criminal trespass. There is plentiful Texas case law about this."
Can you point us to the case law on bounty hunters coming to a residence at night to a property not owned or lived at by the bail jumper who was acquitted or otherwise case dropped, not found guilty of trespassing having passed a closed gate and no trespassing signs?

Thanks
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 11

Post by EEllis »

E.Marquez wrote:"if they went to knock on the door you can't get a criminal trespass. There is plentiful Texas case law about this."
Can you point us to the case law on bounty hunters coming to a residence at night to a property not owned or lived at by the bail jumper who was acquitted or otherwise case dropped, not found guilty of trespassing having passed a closed gate and no trespassing signs?

Thanks
Are you joking? You have to know it doesn't work like that. I mean go ahead and believe anything you want but for everyone else if you want to successfully prosecute someone for trespassing you need a locked gate.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

EEllis wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:"if they went to knock on the door you can't get a criminal trespass. There is plentiful Texas case law about this."

Thanks
Are you joking? You have to know it doesn't work like that. I mean go ahead and believe anything you want but for everyone else if you want to successfully prosecute someone for trespassing you need a locked gate.
I thought all you needed was a circle slash gun sign sticker. That's what AG Morales said in '95 and why we needed to pass 30.06 to protect CHLs (not Bounty Hunters).
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

EEllis wrote:

Thanks
Joking? No.. I read what you posted and was interested in this case law you stated was plentiful.
I must have mis read what you posted I guess..
EEllis wrote:There is plentiful Texas case law about this."
What case law are you referring to then?
Not trying to be dense, we are discussion trespassing by a Bounty Hunter (or maybe it's not trespassing??)
You seemed to imply a closed gate and No trespassing signs clearly posted do not meet the law's requirements to charge a person with trespassing and that there is "plentiful Texas case law about this."

So I ask.. What case law supports your position ..so I may read it for myself...
This is not a joke, not a troll, nothing negative..at all.. My apologies if you misunderstood and took it that way. :tiphat:
Last edited by E.Marquez on Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

The gate was closed ( not locked though)and they opened it. He is going to put one of those automated gate openers on the gate, and put an intercom at the gate. He was told it would then be considered the entrance to his home. I don't know where he obtained his advice.(attorney, internet friend, ? ). The BBs were not as polite as the "dog" and they were armed he says. He is also going to install security cameras.

Return to “Off-Topic”