What to do if you are carrying and are in a accident?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Saulnier
Posts in topic: 2

What to do if you are carrying and are in a accident?

Post by Saulnier »

I was in an accident about 4 weeks ago.
My family was with me.
Everyone is ok.

It lead me to thinkl about the following:

Let's say that you hold a CHL and you are carrying when you are involved in an accident.
What do you do with your firearm if you must be transported to the hospital?
No one else in my vehical has a CHL. Do I give it to the cop, Call a friend, What?

Might as well think about it now isetead of later right.

Saulnier
Duct Tape Doesen't Rust.

911, Please hold?

HEMIzygote

Re: What to do if you are carrying and are in a accident?

Post by HEMIzygote »

Saulnier wrote:I was in an accident about 4 weeks ago.
My family was with me.
Everyone is ok.

It lead me to thinkl about the following:

Let's say that you hold a CHL and you are carrying when you are involved in an accident.
What do you do with your firearm if you must be transported to the hospital?
No one else in my vehical has a CHL. Do I give it to the cop, Call a friend, What?

Might as well think about it now isetead of later right.

Saulnier
That is a good question. I'm not married or have kids....but most my good friends, girlfriend, and my family know I carry - so hopefully one of them will check and remove it if anything were to happen.

[knock on wood]

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 3

Post by seamusTX »

If no one you know can take it, you might as well give it to a cop. If the emergency room doctors or nurses find it, they will call the police after the optional freak-out.

Several people have posted about incidents of this type.

- Jim

Seburiel

Post by Seburiel »

It makes me wonder about the legal ramification if, during the accident, you lose conciousness, or become unresponsive - would it, at that point, be illegal (given the implied consent to treat) to be carried into the hospital with your firearm?
I've been a medic, and nothing in the training addressed this.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 3

Post by seamusTX »

Seburiel wrote:It makes me wonder about the legal ramification if, during the accident, you lose conciousness, or become unresponsive - would it, at that point, be illegal (given the implied consent to treat) to be carried into the hospital with your firearm?
You can't commit a crime while unconscious.

- Jim

rm9792
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rm9792 »

I was in an accident 2 years ago, hit in the rear while sitting at a light by a drunk. He didnt realize he left the freeway and hit me full speed 59@hillcroft (for those of you in houston). I told HPD (who was amazed i walked out of a flying car) that my pistol was somewhere in the car and I wanted it back before the wrecker took it home! He let me look for it and when i found it he took it, put the rounds in a baggie and gave it right back with the baggie. i had no chl and when he asked why I had it i told him I just got back from Dallas. He said OK and went to finish his paperwork. So I guess my answer is they didnt seem to care, even w/o a chl.

G.C.Montgomery

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

I've encountered this question twice in CHL classes. I had an EMT/paramedic from Victoria mention that his training program specifically instructed personnel NOT to render aid to concious or semi-concious, armed individuals until police secured the weapon. I asked him if he was with the city or county and he replied that he was with local private service so I suspect that colored his policies just a bit.

I got a totally different answer when I mentioned this to a friend who used to be with San Antonio FD/EMS. His response to this situation was that patient care was the priority...Secure the patient from external hazards like fire/explosions, save the patient's life. He said they did come across guns on unconscious and semi-conscious patients but simply moved them aside and continued with treating the patient. Agitated and armed people he said probably would be a different story but he said he never had such a patient.
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I went to my doctor to have my left shoulder and side looked at for pain, and they decided I was having a heart attack and called an ambulance.

I asked the ambulance crew what I should do about my carry piece as we were about to drive away. First they were somewhat upset that I was carrying in a doctor's office, which generated a response from me about needing and not having, etc. They stopped the ambulance and one of the EMTs secured my gun in my car for me (at least I hoped they did.)

I have since fired that doctor because the strain/sprain in my left side and shoulder was not a heart attack and it cost me a lot of money.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

BadCo45ACP

Post by BadCo45ACP »

A friend w/ a CHL was in an acident last year. He was transported while unconscious, to the hospital. The HPD officer on the scene took possesion of his handgun. My friend had to file some kind of paper work to get it back. WHen it was returrned, all except one round of the ammo was gone. When he asked what happened to the rest he was told that they had done ballstic tests, and since the ammo was fragible they had a hard time getting a good round to look at.

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

When I took first responder training many years ago (in Phoenix) they said, "Unless you have training with how to deal with firearms, just leave it there and don't touch it. IF you do have training, secure the firearm. Don't withold treatment unless the placement of the firearm prevents it."

Unofficially, the instructor said, if it was holstered, and you can get the holster off, take the gun and holster off if you need to.

Usually, what will happen is the firearm will be discovered during a specific examination that an EMT/First responder type will do. At that point, as I understand it in Texas, usually, the firearm will be given to a responding police officer who will secure it.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Photoman

Post by Photoman »

Giving my gun to the police is an absolute last option in my mind. Obviously, if I'm out cold, I'm assuming the police at the scene or at the hospital will take it into custody.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I'm actually not going to quibble too much about who is going to take my firearm in the case of an accident...

If I am able to say just two words before I pass out...It'll be...

"Ben Taub"

I recommend this to anyone in the Houston area...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

BrassMonkey
Posts in topic: 4

Post by BrassMonkey »

What statute gave them the right to perform a search without PC or a warrant?
BadCo45ACP wrote:A friend w/ a CHL was in an acident last year. He was transported while unconscious, to the hospital. The HPD officer on the scene took possesion of his handgun. My friend had to file some kind of paper work to get it back. WHen it was returrned, all except one round of the ammo was gone. When he asked what happened to the rest he was told that they had done ballstic tests, and since the ammo was fragible they had a hard time getting a good round to look at.
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

Seburiel

Post by Seburiel »

BrassMonkey wrote:What statute gave them the right to perform a search without PC or a warrant?
That's what I was wondering

grandpatim

Post by grandpatim »

In the service where I work we give the weapon to the police or sheriff deputies on scene. If none are there we place it in the lock box where we keep our narcotics until we can give it to the LEO's.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”