Logic behind posting a 30.06 sign instead of 30.07 sign

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
earlwb
Posts in topic: 1

Logic behind posting a 30.06 sign instead of 30.07 sign

Post by earlwb »

I see it now and again, mostly from establishments I do not visit. But they post a 30.06 sign notice but not a 30.07 notice. So that would basically mean they allow open carry but not concealed carry. I would have thought that it made more sense to post a 30.07 sign but not a 30.06 sign to allow concealed carry but no open carry. I have visited places that had only the 30.07 sign posted. Anyway I was just trying to understand the logic of it.

joe817

Re: Logic behind posting a 30.06 sign instead of 30.07 sign

Post by joe817 »

Welcome to the forum earlwb! Glad to have you with us! :tiphat:

We've discussed that a few times. My theory(unproven of course) is that the places that have posted a 30.06 sign but not the 30.07 is that the .06 sign was posted well before open carry came into effect and they haven't bothered to post an .07 sign.

Now if it's a new 30.06 sign, wulllll I dunno. :headscratch Your guess is a good as mine.
Last edited by joe817 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

If you go into those establishments open carrying then they will have a 30.07 up the next day.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I'd wager it's just ignorance of the meaning of the different signs and the need to post both to exclude both.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

allisji

Post by allisji »

earlwb wrote:I see it now and again, mostly from establishments I do not visit. But they post a 30.06 sign notice but not a 30.07 notice. So that would basically mean they allow open carry but not concealed carry. I would have thought that it made more sense to post a 30.07 sign but not a 30.06 sign to allow concealed carry but no open carry. I have visited places that had only the 30.07 sign posted. Anyway I was just trying to understand the logic of it.
some states like Virginia allow permitless open carry, but require a permit for concealed carry.

Their theory, I would assume, is that the open carrier is less likely to attempt crime because everyone who sees him can easily recognize that he's armed. So I would assume in contrast that their position would be that a concealed carrier essentially has an invisibility cloak in public making it easier for him to rob, steal, murder without being caught.

In Texas, however, we all go through the same background check/training process, so it makes much less sense to post a 30.06 to ban licensed individuals from concealed carrying, while allowing open carry.

Most of the locations that post 30.06 only, most likely do so because they had 30.06 posted before 30.07 existed. Then when Open Carry became legal, they didn't know that in order to ban licensed carry of handguns on their premises that they needed to post both signs.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

Logic is not part of the equation when business owners post these signs. If there was any logic involved, they wouldn't post them to begin with.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

When just posting a current 30.06 sign only. It maybe because of the amount of room the signage uses. They post .06, knowing (?) that if open carry occurs all they would have to do is give a verbal "No guns here" message to the carrier and the carrier should leave immediately.

I do not think that they have processed the fact that this only bars the law abiding LTC/CHL holder. The bad guy doesn't care what the sign says or how many times it is posted.

I think most 30.06 signs are put up due to misinformation given to the business owner.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

earlwb wrote:I see it now and again, mostly from establishments I do not visit. But they post a 30.06 sign notice but not a 30.07 notice. So that would basically mean they allow open carry but not concealed carry. I would have thought that it made more sense to post a 30.07 sign but not a 30.06 sign to allow concealed carry but no open carry. I have visited places that had only the 30.07 sign posted. Anyway I was just trying to understand the logic of it.
I cannot read minds, so I would have to ask the person in charge what is allowed or not allowed. I am not so inclined. Rather, I choose to avoid businesses that post 30.06. In the case of a business having only 30.06 posted, I would expect to receive effective notice by one of the two other methods prescribe in statute should I enter the property carrying my handgun openly.

The salient point, I feel, is to remember that NOT posting 30.06 or 30.07 does NOT mean that concealed or open carry respectively is allowed on a property. The Texas Penal Code Sections 30.06 and 30.07 describe notice by "oral or written communication."
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.30.htm

So, yes, a handgun license holder may enter a property on which a 30.07 is NOT posted while openly carrying a handgun. However, if you are given effective notice that entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed or openly carried handgun is forbidden, you will have to leave.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

oljames3 wrote:
I cannot read minds, so I would have to ask the person in charge what is allowed or not allowed. I am not so inclined. Rather, I choose to avoid businesses that post 30.06. In the case of a business having only 30.06 posted, I would expect to receive effective notice by one of the two other methods prescribe in statute should I enter the property carrying my handgun openly.

The salient point, I feel, is to remember that NOT posting 30.06 or 30.07 does NOT mean that concealed or open carry respectively is allowed on a property. The Texas Penal Code Sections 30.06 and 30.07 describe notice by "oral or written communication."
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.30.htm

So, yes, a handgun license holder may enter a property on which a 30.07 is NOT posted while openly carrying a handgun. However, if you are given effective notice that entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed or openly carried handgun is forbidden, you will have to leave.
Which begs the question of how they would notify a concealed carrier that it is prohibited if they didn't know he/she was carrying. Maybe greet everyone walking in with a "no carry allowed"... :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

bear94

Post by bear94 »

I'm tempted to OC past a 30.06 only establishment.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

tomtexan wrote:Logic is not part of the equation when business owners post these signs. If there was any logic involved, they wouldn't post them to begin with.
:iagree:

Truth!
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

bear94,

Please do and let us know if there's any drama as a result...

Most here try to be good gun Ambassadors, but if you're not so inclined, it'll be interesting to hear your story.

usurp31

Post by usurp31 »

tomtexan wrote:Logic is not part of the equation when business owners post these signs. If there was any logic involved, they wouldn't post them to begin with.
:iagree:

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Toys R Us Lewisville once had gun buster signs, now they have recently posted 30.06 only.
I am thinking that they assume a 30.06 sign covers CC and OC. ???
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

If the 30.06 sign is a new and current sign it is also likely that they have calculated the probable number of open carriers actually coming in to their establishment and figure that they could just give oral notification and not have to put up both large signs. They may be betting on that small number of people and think they won't have to do that very often.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”