Is this 30.06 sign posted at Wholefoods compliant?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dapark71
Posts in topic: 4

Is this 30.06 sign posted at Wholefoods compliant?

Post by dapark71 »

I was wondering if this modified 30.06 sign is compliant that is posted at Wholefoods Market in Highland Village. I wasn't sure since some establishments walk a fine line to not upset either side.
Attachments
wholefoods.jpg
Last edited by dapark71 on Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Is this 30.06 sign posted at Wholefoods compliant?

Post by ScooterSissy »

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but doesn't the law require it be posted in Spanish as well?

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KC5AV »

Since there isn't really anything to give it scale, it's hard to safe for sure, but it looks like that is a normal 8.5x11 inch piece of paper, so there is no way the letters can be big enough.
It also isn't in Spanish.

It isn't compliant with the law if they truly intend to prohibit concealed carry, but I always tell my students "Let your conscience be your guide" in these situations.
NRA lifetime member

Topic author
dapark71

Post by dapark71 »

Thank you for the pointer. There is a Spanish part that is right underneath.
Attachments
wholefoods2.jpg

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Ah. Still, unless the letters are the correct size, the sign is not compliant with the legal requirements.
Personally, I'd take my business elsewhere.
NRA lifetime member

Topic author
dapark71

Post by dapark71 »

You are correct. I guess they don't need our business. Duly noted

jmra

Post by jmra »

I know others will disagree, but if it is big enough to catch my attention and it has close to the correct wording, I'm not breaking out a ruler. There are very few places that are the sole providers of items I need to purchase. This for the most part means I have an option to go elsewhere.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

FYI, this is not a 30.06 sign. It is the standard (or somewhat standard) sign that TABC requires in locations that sell alcohol for off premises consumption, package sales.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

RPBrown wrote:FYI, this is not a 30.06 sign. It is the standard (or somewhat standard) sign that TABC requires in locations that sell alcohol for off premises consumption, package sales.
You might want to go back and look at it again.... it is not either a standard TABC package sales sign, nor a standard 30.06 sign. It is a combination of both, which I would be surprised if either were legal. Not a lawyer, but I would bet that the signs have to be on separate, stand alone signs. I wouldn't even read the whole thing, as I would have read the top couple of lines and determined that the sign did not apply to me.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

If you are taking a picture of a 30.06 sign, the simplest way to indicate scale is to hold a quarter up to the letters and take a picture. A quarter is 0.955 inches in diameter, so if the letters are reasonably close to the same size I am not going to risk my freedom for 0.045 inches (less than 1/16th).
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 5

Post by cb1000rider »

jmra wrote:I know others will disagree, but if it is big enough to catch my attention and it has close to the correct wording, I'm not breaking out a ruler. There are very few places that are the sole providers of items I need to purchase. This for the most part means I have an option to go elsewhere.

I'm with JMRA. I know what the law says. However, I'm not about to stand up in front of a jury (or judge) and say that the lettering was 1/4" off or whatever the technical issue was. It's like missing the forest for the trees.

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Right2Carry »

cb1000rider wrote:
jmra wrote:I know others will disagree, but if it is big enough to catch my attention and it has close to the correct wording, I'm not breaking out a ruler. There are very few places that are the sole providers of items I need to purchase. This for the most part means I have an option to go elsewhere.

I'm with JMRA. I know what the law says. However, I'm not about to stand up in front of a jury (or judge) and say that the lettering was 1/4" off or whatever the technical issue was. It's like missing the forest for the trees.
:iagree: as well. I know what the intention of the store is at that point and I don't believe stores post an improper sign as a wink wink to CHLers to come on in and shop like some think. If a shop makes an attempt to post a viable 30.06 sign I won't be a test case nor spend my money there as I have options.

I went to Buffalo Wild Wings today with a buddy of mine. He calls me back after I walk in and says look at this lettering on the outside of the door on a little window. It says something like BWW doesn't allow guns on premises. I said interesting but it doesn't come close to being in compliance with Texas requirements so we ignored it. He had not seen it before and wanted to show me. No attempt by BWW to comply with state law so I didn't care and treated it just like a gun buster sign.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 5

Post by MeMelYup »

A $0.25 coin is .952 inches in diameter. So hold one up to the sign when you take the picture for reference. All the lettering must be larger than the coin.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 14

Post by C-dub »

cyphertext wrote:
RPBrown wrote:FYI, this is not a 30.06 sign. It is the standard (or somewhat standard) sign that TABC requires in locations that sell alcohol for off premises consumption, package sales.
You might want to go back and look at it again.... it is not either a standard TABC package sales sign, nor a standard 30.06 sign. It is a combination of both, which I would be surprised if either were legal. Not a lawyer, but I would bet that the signs have to be on separate, stand alone signs. I wouldn't even read the whole thing, as I would have read the top couple of lines and determined that the sign did not apply to me.
Guys, where does it say that a 30.06 sign has to a stand alone or separate sign? All it says is that a sign that includes the wording ...
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Scott Farkus
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Scott Farkus »

I took my daughter ice skating at the downtown Austin Whole Foods this afternoon and had the exact same question about the sign as the OP. I even took a picture and was intending to post it here. Great minds think alike!

fwiw, there was an identical sign next to the one I saw in Spanish, so I guess they have that part covered. I don't know whether the letters were 1" or not, I didn't measure. I assume for the sake of discussion that they are although overall the sign seemed smaller than others I've seen.

My question was with the wording. As someone noted, they seem to be sort of combining a TABC blue (non 51%) sign with a 30.06. I guess there's nothing technically wrong with that except that I thought TABC promulgated their signs, and I didn't think the blue signs went out of their way to say that you can carry concealed if you have a license. So there's that.

I know that there is not a standard, promulgated form of 30.06 other than the 1" and Spanish requirements, but I've never seen one as anything other than a stand-alone. But I'm not aware of anything saying that can't combine it with anything they want as long as the required wording is there in the proper size.

What is strange, to me anyway, is why would you state that you CAN carry concealed under one statute if you have a license, but then in the very next breath say "but you can't do it here because of this other statute". Why not just post the required TABC blue sign and then post a 30.06? This makes no sense. The statutes aren't that hard to understand and some lawyer somewhere had to come up with this goofy hybrid version on his own.

:confused5

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”