Need Some Advice On How To Submit Forms To DPS

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Kawabuggy
Posts in topic: 6

Need Some Advice On How To Submit Forms To DPS

Post by Kawabuggy »

Okay, as some of you may know I have been attempting to get my CHL renewed since last November. My expire date came & went in May, and yet I still have not had any success with DPS.

They initially stalled my renewal and never sent me notice as to why. Months of calling and getting the recording stating "the hold time is too long and you should call back later" followed by the line disconnecting. So, I was finally able to get through to someone-after a 26 minute hold time-and was told my veterans preference was holding up the process & they needed a copy of my DD214. They had it initially, but somehow lost it, and lost record of it, between initial application and 1st renewal. Ordered my DD214 and it just came in. I scanned it into my computer in .pdf format and now I'm trying to e-mail it to DPS and I get this: (copied & pasted)
Server Error in '/RSD/Contact' Application.
Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

So... I can't reach them on the phone.. Their servers are having some type of trouble and can't/won't receive documents.

What would you guys recommend I do? When I first applied it took them 10 months to process my application and only after I had a state representative call did they actually process my application. After the state rep called DPS actually called me on the phone the same day to advise that the application was processed, approved, and my CHL would be over-nighted to me.. Should I just break down and call my state rep's office again and have them get involved?

If anyone has any pull with TX DPS I would appreciate any insight as to what I can do to get my renewal taken care of. I am now expired, and it seems as if they wanted it that way. I can call my attorney but somehow I don't think that is going to help.

Ideas?

Topic author
Kawabuggy

Re: Need Some Advice On How To Submit Forms To DPS

Post by Kawabuggy »

Just called DPS and of course-"your call cannot be answered at this time-please call back later" line disconnects...

Topic author
Kawabuggy

Post by Kawabuggy »

Figured out that you cannot submit more than 1 document at a time on the web site. I basically sent multiple e-mails each consisting of 1 attached document with each.

I will never hear back from DPS, so I guess I will wait a little while & then start e-mailing, and calling, to see if I can get an answer as to my status.

Am I the only one having such a monumental task getting anything resolved with TX DPS?

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AF-Odin »

They still have not answered the three emails I sent them back in March. :confused5 :banghead:

I did, however get an automated response that a document I attached was received. Less than 24 hours after I scanned and attached it to their site.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Call me old-fashioned but I still don't trust e-mails, e-applications, etc... I would suggest snail mail with a letter explaining the situation and any information you feel nessessary. Maybe even send it certified. Just my 2 cents.
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Topic author
Kawabuggy

Post by Kawabuggy »

Thanks for the replies guys. It really is comforting knowing that I'm not the only one having problems. I was beginning to feel like they were giving me special attention-and not the good kind.

I wonder if it would hurt to duplicate my efforts-send everything snail mail, and also send it all electronically. That way, they are sure to receive everything..

Update: Just got a reply e-mail from them stating my documents have been received. It's funny they put this:
Note: This email address does not accept reply correspondence. Makes me feel like they don't want to talk to me, or don't have time to talk to me.

ldj1002

Post by ldj1002 »

Kawabuggy wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. It really is comforting knowing that I'm not the only one having problems. I was beginning to feel like they were giving me special attention-and not the good kind.

I wonder if it would hurt to duplicate my efforts-send everything snail mail, and also send it all electronically. That way, they are sure to receive everything..

Update: Just got a reply e-mail from them stating my documents have been received. It's funny they put this:
Note: This email address does not accept reply correspondence. Makes me feel like they don't want to talk to me, or don't have time to talk to me.
Pitiful, pitiful, pitiful. I'll bet if you had a outstanding traffic ticket they would find you and talk to you, wana bet?

Topic author
Kawabuggy

Post by Kawabuggy »

No doubt about it. Had I NOT paid them when I first attempted the renewal I bet they would be working harder to collect my money. Instead, we pay them up-front, they get your cash, then you are left to fight them every step of the way to get them to do what you paid them for. If any other business worked like this, they would be on the local news at night, and then shut down shortly after that.. But it is the .gov and we all know what that means.

poppo

Post by poppo »

Kawabuggy wrote: So, I was finally able to get through to someone-after a 26 minute hold time-and was told my veterans preference was holding up the process & they needed a copy of my DD214. They had it initially, but somehow lost it, and lost record of it, between initial application and 1st renewal. Ordered my DD214 and it just came in.
Just curious. Why did you need to order another DD214? Did you send them your original?
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

Topic author
Kawabuggy

Post by Kawabuggy »

I had to order another one because I put my original one in a very safe place.. So safe even I can't find it!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”