Should I Take This Personally...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Kawabuggy
Posts in topic: 3

Should I Take This Personally...

Post by Kawabuggy »

...or is it simply a sign of incompetence?

I renewed my CHL license on-line on November 11, 2013. I mailed my paperwork-the item that you are supposed to print out and mail in-the following day. As of today, May 2, 2014 I still have not received, or heard, ANYTHING from DPS. I went & checked on-line just now and see that there is a large red "X" with the following "Proof of Special Condition : Not received, notice sent to applicant" as an indication that the renewal is not being processed.

The last part about ":Not received, notice sent to applicant" is either an out & out LIE, or the mail lost anything they may have mailed to me. I tried calling today but apparently it's a Friday and they are all off work. The recording indicated that no one is available to answer my call and I was instructed to contact them on-line where I would also be ignored and left in the black-hole of nothingness......

For the record, when I first got my CHL it took them 9 months (from memory-could have been longer or shorter), to process my application. I believe I only got it because I actually called one of our state representatives and had them call on my behalf.

Is this normal to continuously have problems with DPS processing anything I need? Or is it this way with everyone? I'm really starting to feel like I'm getting special attention from them.

Any recommendations on how to figure out why they are not renewing my license? I renewed (just like I applied) with veteran preference. Must I sent a copy of my DD214 with renewals? I would think they would have that on file from the application process but if they are as incompetent as I suspect they are maybe I should have just sent it this time, or renewed without the preference. Either way, anybody have any ideas how I can get this ball moving since they WILL NOT respond to me on-line, or by phone? Do I need to call my state rep again?

With all the "hoodie" robberies occurring close to where I live lately I certainly do not like the idea of not being able to legally carry.

suthdj
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Should I Take This Personally...

Post by suthdj »

dito same issue go scan you. 214 and submit online, fast simple an easy.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

:iagree:

Always submit supporting paperwork with your application, they have institutional memory, meaning they never remember what you did right but everything you did wrong

jbarn
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jbarn »

Special Condition means you paid a reduced fee and they need proof you meet that condition.

DPS does well with the manpower they have. I do not think thy lied to you about mailing a form to you. They have no reason to lie.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

To the original question. No, don't take it personally. Sometimes it is hard to deal with a bureaucracy.
NRA Endowment Member

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided

Post by nightmare »

Have you sent the required paperwork? That seems quicker and more productive than calling them and waiting on hold to complain about some perceived slight. Maybe less fun but I suppose the right course depends where you want to go.
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

rotor

Post by rotor »

My dealings with DPS for non-CHL issues (not criminal either) have proven to me that the people that work there are either incompetent or ?? I guess incompetent. I have had many long hours on the phone, many incorrectly answered emails and not until I had my state senator's office intervene did I ever get a response and even that was wrong. At least I was able to get a phone number for a more senior individual. They will tell you that they sent "it" and they didn't.I don't know if it is from lack of funding or what but I don't believe any answers I get from DPS. Sorry if I offend any LEO connected to them. I hope they do a better job when it come to being a police agency.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

rotor wrote:My dealings with DPS for non-CHL issues (not criminal either) have proven to me that the people that work there are either incompetent or ?? I guess incompetent. I have had many long hours on the phone, many incorrectly answered emails and not until I had my state senator's office intervene did I ever get a response and even that was wrong. At least I was able to get a phone number for a more senior individual. They will tell you that they sent "it" and they didn't.I don't know if it is from lack of funding or what but I don't believe any answers I get from DPS. Sorry if I offend any LEO connected to them. I hope they do a better job when it come to being a police agency.
My contacts with the DPS have been outstanding. They have made errors, but have corrected them in a timely manner.
NRA Endowment Member

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

My dealings over the past 15 years have been amazing. My renewal this year took 7 days.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

rotor wrote:My dealings with DPS for non-CHL issues (not criminal either) have proven to me that the people that work there are either incompetent or ?? I guess incompetent. I have had many long hours on the phone, many incorrectly answered emails and not until I had my state senator's office intervene did I ever get a response and even that was wrong. At least I was able to get a phone number for a more senior individual. They will tell you that they sent "it" and they didn't.I don't know if it is from lack of funding or what but I don't believe any answers I get from DPS. Sorry if I offend any LEO connected to them. I hope they do a better job when it come to being a police agency.
Didn't you put that exact post in another thread?

I have dealt with DPS for non CHL issues (private security bureau) for a decade, and with the same group for 20 years prior to that.

Since this is a CHL question, perhaps a dedicated thread on whatever non CHL dealings you have trouble with would be good. Otherwise, I don't see how this is relevant or helpful.

No offense meant. :thumbs2:
Texas CHL Instructor

rotor

Post by rotor »

jbarn wrote:

I have dealt with DPS for non CHL issues (private security bureau) for a decade, and with the same group for 20 years prior to that.

Since this is a CHL question, perhaps a dedicated thread on whatever non CHL dealings you have trouble with would be good. Otherwise, I don't see how this is relevant or helpful.

No offense taken. Yes I have complained about this before. Although your dealings with DPS may be ideal mine aren't and when they specifically lie to you I just don't trust anything they say. I don't trust their response on CHL or non CHL issues although I have never contacted them on CHL issues. I don't know if each department has their own people working for them and perhaps therefore some are competent (private security stuff) but in my field they are not competent. If it's the same people on the phone (if you can even reach them) in each department than I have no faith in getting an honest response. I just don't know how they are structured though to know if you deal with one branch of DPS is it the same people handling the phones and email for the other branches. All I can say is that if DPS says that your "whatever" is in the mail and they tell you that by phone and by email it doesn't mean that it is in the mail. And you will get no satisfaction talking to their superiors either. I think trying to get an answer from the IRS would be easier.

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

rotor wrote:
jbarn wrote:

No offense taken. Yes I have complained about this before. Although your dealings with DPS may be ideal mine aren't and when they specifically lie to you I just don't trust anything they say. I don't trust their response on CHL or non CHL issues although I have never contacted them on CHL issues. I don't know if each department has their own people working for them and perhaps therefore some are competent (private security stuff) but in my field they are not competent. If it's the same people on the phone (if you can even reach them) in each department than I have no faith in getting an honest response. I just don't know how they are structured though to know if you deal with one branch of DPS is it the same people handling the phones and email for the other branches. All I can say is that if DPS says that your "whatever" is in the mail and they tell you that by phone and by email it doesn't mean that it is in the mail. And you will get no satisfaction talking to their superiors either. I think trying to get an answer from the IRS would be easier.
I dont know why you are trying to be secretive about the section with which you deal, but each division has its own people.

I dont consider mistakes as lies, either. I have observed them make plenty of mistakes, but I don't take it personally........

Hope your situation improves.
Texas CHL Instructor

rotor

Post by rotor »

Secretive because I don't want to someday be harrased by them. If I tell you that I mailed you something knowing that I did not mail it I would call that a lie. If Obama says you can keep your own doctor, etc. Anyone can make a mistake but when someone specifically tells you that they have taken a specific action and they have not done it that's a lie. I have it in writing via email where they have specifically said that a "permit" was sent knowing that it wasn't. And that's after they cashed my check. These people are supposed to work for us, the agency charges a fee for the permitting they do, then they don't send the permit after saying they have. In the meantime you spend a lot of time on hold and waiting for email responses which don't show up in the "48 business hour" response time that they claim they will meet. As I said, I don't know their structure and I don't know if each branch is distinct with it's own employees. I have dealt with DPS for over 30 years and they have gotten progressively worse. I remember being able to call and "yes sir, we will have that right away". Not anymore. My check and paper work was sent in Jan 2014 ( and cashed) to replace a permit that expired Mar 31,2014 and this is May 3,2014 and nada. Very aggravating. Their superior says that one can verify on the internet the status of the permit (true) but I need paper in hand. Kind of like not carrying your CHL even though DPS can check on the internet that you are current but you need that paper. No resolution yet for me. Glad your dealings are better.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

rotor wrote:Secretive because I don't want to someday be harrased by them. If I tell you that I mailed you something knowing that I did not mail it I would call that a lie. If Obama says you can keep your own doctor, etc. Anyone can make a mistake but when someone specifically tells you that they have taken a specific action and they have not done it that's a lie. I have it in writing via email where they have specifically said that a "permit" was sent knowing that it wasn't. And that's after they cashed my check. These people are supposed to work for us, the agency charges a fee for the permitting they do, then they don't send the permit after saying they have. In the meantime you spend a lot of time on hold and waiting for email responses which don't show up in the "48 business hour" response time that they claim they will meet. As I said, I don't know their structure and I don't know if each branch is distinct with it's own employees. I have dealt with DPS for over 30 years and they have gotten progressively worse. I remember being able to call and "yes sir, we will have that right away". Not anymore. My check and paper work was sent in Jan 2014 ( and cashed) to replace a permit that expired Mar 31,2014 and this is May 3,2014 and nada. Very aggravating. Their superior says that one can verify on the internet the status of the permit (true) but I need paper in hand. Kind of like not carrying your CHL even though DPS can check on the internet that you are current but you need that paper. No resolution yet for me. Glad your dealings are better.
Maybe you do have a reason to take it personally.
NRA Endowment Member

poppo

Post by poppo »

Kawabuggy wrote:I renewed my CHL license on-line on November 11, 2013. I mailed my paperwork-the item that you are supposed to print out and mail in-the following day. As of today, May 2, 2014 I still have not received, or heard, ANYTHING from DPS. I went & checked on-line just now and see that there is a large red "X" with the following "Proof of Special Condition : Not received, notice sent to applicant" as an indication that the renewal is not being processed
Why did you wait 6 months to check on the status? :confused5
Kawabuggy wrote: Must I sent a copy of my DD214 with renewals? I would think they would have that on file from the application process but if they are as incompetent as I suspect they are maybe I should have just sent it this time, or renewed without the preference. Either way, anybody have any ideas how I can get this ball moving since they WILL NOT respond to me on-line, or by phone? Do I need to call my state rep again?
Incompetent just because YOU failed to send in the required documents or check on the status? How hard would have been to just send in another copy "just in case"?
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”