CHL holders insurance policy

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
longhornmike
Posts in topic: 1

CHL holders insurance policy

Post by longhornmike »

I have heard about an insurance policy that may be available to help with legal fees should a CHL holder ever have to use their gun.Do you guys know who offers a policy like this and if it's a good idea and/or cost effective?
12/16/09 plastic in hand

sjfcontrol

Re: CHL holders insurance policy

Post by sjfcontrol »

Try a search -- many threads are available on the subject.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

jmoney
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmoney »

It is probably not a bad idea. Be sure that you visit with the attorney face to face and have a clear understanding of what it covers. I would also suggest that you find it through an attorney that practices in the county you live in. This is important for several reasons. First, you can easily ask around and get an understanding of that attorney's reputation in the local courthouse. Having a lawyer is always a plus, but some attorneys are borderline incompetent or have a bad reputation with the local judges / prosecutors. You really want someone that is well known for his/her skill, and liked in general. Second, a local attorney is going to know the courts and prosecutors and have a better idea of how to move forward with your case and plan a strategy. Last, a local attorney is going to understand the jury dynamics, if it gets to that point, for the area much better than someone who is from the other side of the state and has no experience there.

Make sure the limits of representation are clear, a typical murder case, through trial is going to cost well north of 20k.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

longhornmike wrote:I have heard about an insurance policy that may be available to help with legal fees should a CHL holder ever have to use their gun.Do you guys know who offers a policy like this and if it's a good idea and/or cost effective?
As far as I know, there are no insurance policies in Texas that are available to help with legal fees should a CHL holder ever have to use their gun.

As sjfcontrol suggested, search the forum for related topics. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

rdcrags

Post by rdcrags »

WildBill wrote:
longhornmike wrote:I have heard about an insurance policy that may be available to help with legal fees should a CHL holder ever have to use their gun.Do you guys know who offers a policy like this and if it's a good idea and/or cost effective?
As far as I know, there are no insurance policies in Texas that are available to help with legal fees should a CHL holder ever have to use their gun.

But your home owners policy may. Pay a tad extra to increase the liability maximum from $500,000 to $1,000,000.
TX CHL 1997

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

The keywords you're looking for are: "[Pre-paid legal service]"
IE "[pre-paid legal]"

Before you buy, make sure you check into how many cases they've successfully defended. Cases are matters of public record, after all.
Check into who exactly will be defending you.. After all, you don't want a personal injury attorney in a criminal or civil case.
Check into reference clients who have used the service/insurance and are happy with it.

Let us know how the checks come back..
jmoney wrote: Make sure the limits of representation are clear, a typical murder case, through trial is going to cost well north of 20k.
I would expect more like 10x that amount.

jmra
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jmra »

rdcrags wrote:
WildBill wrote:

But your home owners policy may. Pay a tad extra to increase the liability maximum from $500,000 to $1,000,000.
I could be mistaken but I think a home owners policy would only help you in a civil case. I don't believe the policy would come into play in a criminal investigation/charge.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

b322da

Post by b322da »

jmra wrote:
rdcrags wrote:
WildBill wrote:

I could be mistaken but I think a home owners policy would only help you in a civil case. I don't believe the policy would come into play in a criminal investigation/charge.
I must most respectfully again suggest to all our members that they put no advance trust in their homeowner's insurance in this regard without having very hard evidence at hand. Neither this forum, nor any other I am aware of, is the place to get legal advice upon which the welfare of yourself and those for whom you are responsible, including your liberty and resources, depends. My discussion here is limited to the typical homeowner's insurance.

Instead, I suggest that first you read all of your homeowner's insurance policy, yes, all, including the legal gobbledy-gook in fine print, using a magnifying glass, if necessary, all of it, staying wide awake the whole time -- not an easy thing for most people to do. The key words to look for, in many if not most, such insurance policies is "intentional acts." If you, in your wisdom, decide that your policy will represent your various interests in the situation we are considering, then get confirmation in writing from your salesman/broker. You must consider oral assurances to be valueless. Should you receive such assurances in writing from your salesman/broker, then insist that you receive confirmation by the "home office," again, in writing. Should you then receive such confirmation, take the whole pile of papers to an attorney known to be learned and competent in insurance law, and pay him for his written opinion.

It would probably be better to see that attorney first. Use him to phrase the question you are going to ask your salesman/broker/home office, or have him, preferably, ask them the questions himself, before getting their answers in writing. Most lay persons should not trust themselves to even be able to phrase the question correctly.

Is this inexpensive? No. Is it an awful hassle? Yes. Is it part of a responsible person's expense when he or she decides to carry and is prepared to use a deadly weapon against another? Absolutely yes. Is it responsible to accept and rely on legal advice received on a forum like this from one who has not the slightest idea what your homeowner's insurance policy says about this critical issue and has not the slightest conception of your individual situation? Absolutely not.

Please excuse both the length and emotion here. I do indeed hope that I will not need to say this again. We get new CHL licensees nearly daily, most of whom, if they are at all concerned about their legal situation, and, if they take the time to even think about it, have similar questions.

Jim
Last edited by b322da on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Jim hit the nail on the head. Beware of assuming what your homeowner's policy covers. It doesn't cover what you think it covers. It covers what it says it covers and excludes what it says it excludes.

For those that say their agent said something is covered, ask them to show you the specific policy language where it says coverage is afforded or ask them to put it in writing on their letterhead with their signature and date. If they can't or won't do either of these, you have your answer.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Don't get me started on homeowner's insurance! I couldn't get them (a large, well known insurance company) to replace my roof after straight-line winds damaged it. They wanted to only pay for the shingles that had actually blown off. The appraiser or whatever they called themselves actually counted the number of shingles missing. Meanwhile, my next door neighbor, who had no visible damage, got their entire roof replaced. I seriously doubt my insurance company would cover me being involved in any shooting even inside my house. I can only imagine this being their response to me..... "rlol"
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

rotor

Post by rotor »

txglock21 wrote:Don't get me started on homeowner's insurance! I couldn't get them (a large, well known insurance company) to replace my roof after straight-line winds damaged it. They wanted to only pay for the shingles that had actually blown off. The appraiser or whatever they called themselves actually counted the number of shingles missing. Meanwhile, my next door neighbor, who had no visible damage, got their entire roof replaced. I seriously doubt my insurance company would cover me being involved in any shooting even inside my house. I can only imagine this being their response to me..... "rlol"
Not completely on topic but if you are eligible switch to USAA and never fear, they will fix things without a hastle. As far as CHL related legal issue, I would not count on homeowners insurance.

jmoney

Post by jmoney »

[/quote]

I would expect more like 10x that amount.[/quote]

It can be, especially if it's a highly publicized capital murder charge. If I remember right I recall a defense attorney getting 50k, as an appointed attorney, and that was just 1 of the lawyers. Keep in mind, that stuff is actually calculated hourly, that is a lot of freaking work.

jmra
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jmra »

b322da wrote:
jmra wrote:
rdcrags wrote:
WildBill wrote:

I must most respectfully again suggest to all our members that they put no advance trust in their homeowner's insurance in this regard without having very hard evidence at hand. Neither this forum, nor any other I am aware of, is the place to get legal advice upon which the welfare of yourself and those for whom you are responsible, including your liberty and resources, depends. My discussion here is limited to the typical homeowner's insurance.

Instead, I suggest that first you read all of your homeowner's insurance policy, yes, all, including the legal gobbledy-gook in fine print, using a magnifying glass, if necessary, all of it, staying wide awake the whole time -- not an easy thing for most people to do. The key words to look for, in many if not most, such insurance policies is "intentional acts." If you, in your wisdom, decide that your policy will represent your various interests in the situation we are considering, then get confirmation in writing from your salesman/broker. You must consider oral assurances to be valueless. Should you receive such assurances in writing from your salesman/broker, then insist that you receive confirmation by the "home office," again, in writing. Should you then receive such confirmation, take the whole pile of papers to an attorney known to be learned and competent in insurance law, and pay him for his written opinion.

It would probably be better to see that attorney first. Use him to phrase the question you are going to ask your salesman/broker/home office, or have him, preferably, ask them the questions himself, before getting their answers in writing. Most lay persons should not trust themselves to even be able to phrase the question correctly.

Is this inexpensive? No. Is it an awful hassle? Yes. Is it part of a responsible person's expense when he or she decides to carry and is prepared to use a deadly weapon against another? Absolutely yes. Is it responsible to accept and rely on legal advice received on a forum like this from one who has not the slightest idea what your homeowner's insurance policy says about this critical issue and has not the slightest conception of your individual situation? Absolutely not.

Please excuse both the length and emotion here. I do indeed hope that I will not need to say this again. We get new CHL licensees nearly daily, most of whom, if they are at all concerned about their legal situation, and, if they take the time to even think about it, have similar questions.

Jim
I guess I should have worded my response better. What I was trying to imply is that your home owners is not going to defend you in a criminal matter. It wasn't my intent to suggest that they would automatically cover you in a civil matter.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

rdcrags

Post by rdcrags »

b322da wrote:
jmra wrote:
rdcrags wrote:
WildBill wrote:

Jim
I realize it is anecdotal, as is much of the discussion on the forum, but my State Farm agent of 50 years simply said that if Zimmerman has/had a policy like mine, he has been covered for the first $1MM of his expenses, both criminal and civil trials. Of course, like many doctors, lawyers and engineers, this agent could be making the same mistakes over and over again, notwithstanding his decades of experience. Disclaimer: I am not promising you anything.
TX CHL 1997

asbandr
Posts in topic: 4

Post by asbandr »

My husband and I have [Pre-paid legal service]. It's about $21 a month for both of us, we have immediate 24/7 access to an attorney should we have to use our gun. They cover the legal fees and there's no limit to how long the legal process goes as to how much they cover. My favorite part of this plan is knowing that if I have a question about grey area in the law, I can email an attorney who is trained and specializes in defensive firearm laws. To me, it's worth the cost.
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”