Category different on Renewal

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
LJM
Posts in topic: 1

Category different on Renewal

Post by LJM »

I just received my first renewal in the mail. :anamatedbanana But now I am confused I know the designation between Non semi-automatic and semi-automatic does not matter anymore but why did it change on the license. My new one shows NSA my old one showed SA ??
5/27/10 PLASTIC
Ruger SR40c

GeekwithaGun

Re: Category different on Renewal

Post by GeekwithaGun »

I'm not sure, but your post prompted me to check mine. I renewed for the first time in September and it still says "SA"
NRA Life Member

jbarn
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jbarn »

LJM wrote:I just received my first renewal in the mail. :anamatedbanana But now I am confused I know the designation between Non semi-automatic and semi-automatic does not matter anymore but why did it change on the license. My new one shows NSA my old one showed SA ??

If your new or renewed license shows NSA then you should contact DPS. All categories now are SA until the license is reformatted and the category is removed.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

LJM wrote:I just received my first renewal in the mail. :anamatedbanana But now I am confused I know the designation between Non semi-automatic and semi-automatic does not matter anymore but why did it change on the license. My new one shows NSA my old one showed SA ??

They are using up all the blank license stock they have on hand rather than throwing it out and ordering more.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Can anyone explain why there were two categories?

It's not like a single engine prop pilots license vs a 747 jumbo jet liner pilots license.

Heck, people can obtain a drivers license and not be able to drive a stick shift without it being noted on their license.

Shooting a semi auto vs a revolver aint rocker surgery fer cryin out loud.

O.K. rant over, anyone know?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Abraham wrote:Can anyone explain why there were two categories?

It's not like a single engine prop pilots license vs a 747 jumbo jet liner pilots license.

Heck, people can obtain a drivers license and not be able to drive a stick shift without it being noted on their license.

That was a provision we had to include to get SB60 passed in 1995. It never really provided any safety margin, but removing it was a very low priority item with so many other issues to address.

Chas.

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

I'm just glad it got changed. I never understood the difference either.
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

When I took the class in 2007 I watched people pull brand new semi autos out of boxes. They didn't know how to work the, had never shot and were completely unsafe, yet they passed :smash: that is probably why since a revolver has less moving parts.

mikeloc

Post by mikeloc »

[quote="Abraham"]Can anyone explain why there were two categories?

If you have a misfire with a revolver all you do is press the trigger again. With a semi you take different steps. Also limp wrist does not cause a mal-function with a revolver like it does with a semi-auto.

Mike

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

mikeloc wrote:

If you have a misfire with a revolver all you do is press the trigger again. With a semi you take different steps. Also limp wrist does not cause a mal-function with a revolver like it does with a semi-auto.

Mike
Agreed, but neither of those things cause a change in proficiency as tested under the laws.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

mikeloc

Post by mikeloc »

jbarn wrote:
mikeloc wrote:

Mike
Agreed, but neither of those things cause a change in proficiency as tested under the law.
Those were the reasons DPS gave us 1995 and 1996.

From my own experience as an instructor when police changed from revolvers to semi-auto they had lot of problems. Some of the worst scores in the classes that I gave with semi-auto guns on DPS targets in the 1996-2000 area came from officers who where either still carrying a revolver or had recently changed to semi-auto. Their scores were around 210 to 220. Since the departments have all gone to semi-auto they have greatly improved. Also the new targets that we now shoot make for better scores. . I do not wish to go back to the two categories we had of NSA or SA. In fact I wish we didn't shoot for score, but for fun. And I think almost everyone can shoot darn near a perfect score on the DPS targets with good gun discipline.

Mike

Mike

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”