New RIP Ammo

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
kg5ie
Posts in topic: 2

New RIP Ammo

Post by kg5ie »

Anyone carrying with the new RIP ammo? If so where are you finding it?

http://thelibertydigest.com/2014/01/24/ ... -drooling/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 8

Re: New RIP Ammo

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

There is a thread running on that ammo somewhere. maybe they mention it there. It seems gimmicky to me. The bullet industry must be getting desperate for the newest "wow" bullet.

Topic author
kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

Agree. NC machined ammo does not seem very cost effective. But, as an instructor I feel I need to at least educate myself on it. I am sure someone will bring it up. While I encourage self defense ammo in my classes, this might be extreme. Still don't know enough about it to judge.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

03Lightningrocks

I just stumbled across that thread about this ammo. viewtopic.php?f=83&t=71219&p=888020#p888020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Oldgringo »

Somebody sent me that earlier today and I don't need any. What would come in handy is reasonably priced .22LR.

03Lightningrocks

Oldgringo wrote:Somebody sent me that earlier today and I don't need any. What would come in handy is reasonably priced .22LR.
That is no joke either. I cannot find 22LR anywhere.

jmra

Post by jmra »

kg5ie wrote:Anyone carrying with the new RIP ammo? If so where are you finding it?

http://thelibertydigest.com/2014/01/24/ ... -drooling/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ammozone Corporation - Flippin, AR.
I might get a box of it to say I have it but I doubt I'd carry it.
In a defensive situation, especially with more than one assailant, statistics say that one or more of your rounds are going to miss their intended target. Obviously we have to be aware what is beyond our intended target before we make the decision to fire. But this round is designed to do exactly what I don't want one of those rounds to do, penetrate obstacles I can't see through.
If it works as advertised (yet to be seen) this might be a good specialty round for LE in limited situations, but not something that I would carry in my primary or backup magazine.
Last edited by jmra on Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

JR's 12 Valve

Post by JR's 12 Valve »

Cabelas or Bass Pro since you're in the DFW area. They usually have it behind the gun counter. You have to ask.

I think the ammo is a gimmick. I do not know how well it would feed in an autoloader , it would probably have it's place in a wheel gun.

I will not be wasting my money on it.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

I've never seen so much excitement about a new bullet based on a single cheesy video. :roll:

Visualize a DA playing that video and holding that bullet up in front of a jury. I don't want to defend that!

I'd rather defend tried and true ammo used by police departments all over the country. "I used that round because I believed the people making police purchasing decisions know a heck of a lot more than I do about ammo".
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

03Lightningrocks

I am wondering if the price point for that ammo is going to be a bit on the high side. I would probably buy a box to keep as a collector. I won't be using it. I am not visualizing this ammo being around very long.

Grillmark55

Post by Grillmark55 »

Jumping Frog wrote:I've never seen so much excitement about a new bullet based on a single cheesy video. :roll:

Visualize a DA playing that video and holding that bullet up in front of a jury. I don't want to defend that!

I'd rather defend tried and true ammo used by police departments all over the country. "I used that round because I believed the people making police purchasing decisions know a heck of a lot more than I do about ammo".

Looks like a really good round - at first glance. But in today's political climate I have to agree with Jumping Frog; a good defense lawyer could have a field day with something like this (anybody else remember Black Talon ammo?)

I think I'll stick with Hornady Critical Defense or Remington Golden Saber.
A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Jumping Frog wrote:I've never seen so much excitement about a new bullet based on a single cheesy video. :roll:

They couldn't have chosen a worse name for this cartridge!

Chas.

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

They couldn't have chosen a worse name for this cartridge!

Chas.
:iagree: How about Maximum Damage Possible or Shoot To Kill? :roll:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I would have called it "fangs".
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

I think "Grim Reaper" has a ring to it.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”