Self Defense Scenarios - What would you do

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
g31357
Posts in topic: 2

Self Defense Scenarios - What would you do

Post by g31357 »

I am usually always running self defense scenarios in my head. What would I do in this situation, would I draw my weapon or would is it not worth it?

So I'm curious what you would do in this situation.

1.) Your at a convenience store somewhere in the back shopping. A robber comes in with guns demanding money, he has no idea your there and you have a chance to sneak up on him to surprise him. Would you take the chance to shoot him there and stop the threat or stay in the back prepared with your gun in case he comes back there but otherwise take the chance that he just takes the money and leaves?

Other question I have is this, if I did decide to sneak up and surprise him, I would want to shoot him in the head and take him out completely. Shooting him in the back or on the leg keeps him alive and allows the chance that he can fight you back. Would it be lawful to stop the threat in this fashion though?

CowboyEngineer
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Self Defense Scenarios - What would you do

Post by CowboyEngineer »

I would stay in the back, draw my weapon and wait. I don't need the legal, financial, and emotional problems that come with shooting someone. Also, in a gun fight there is significant physical risk. Ranging from death, vegetative state, paralysis, to relatively minor injuries. For me, for this situation there is too much risk, not enough reason to attack. If, however, the situation changes, my gun is ready to send some 40 caliber attitude adjustment his way.
NRA Life Member
Glock 23
Tucker Gunleather "The Answer" IWB

Wodathunkit

Post by Wodathunkit »

CowboyEngineer wrote:I would stay in the back, draw my weapon and wait. I don't need the legal, financial, and emotional problems that come with shooting someone. Also, in a gun fight there is significant physical risk. Ranging from death, vegetative state, paralysis, to relatively minor injuries. For me, for this situation there is too much risk, not enough reason to attack. If, however, the situation changes, my gun is ready to send some 40 caliber attitude adjustment his way.
I think I would follow this philosophy. Well said. :tiphat:
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by steveincowtown »

I would stay back but would rack the slide of my gun so that the perp knew it was loaded. Assuming he did not react and force me to shoot him dead on the spot I would find a phone booth, change into my "crime fighting gear" and apprehend him later.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"I would stay back but would rack the slide of my gun so that the perp knew it was loaded."

You posted the above tongue in cheek?

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

Abraham wrote:"I would stay back but would rack the slide of my gun so that the perp knew it was loaded."

Firmly in cheek.

Here is my decision tree for when to shoot my gun.

Is my life or someone I care about life in imminent danger?

Yes- pull gun and shoot

No- don't pull gun and shoot.

In other situation than that the solution is to just be a good witness and hang back.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Things happen real fast in a scenario like that. It's not like the movies, and few of us are the Lone Ranger.

Being a good witness involves getting eyes on the perp, which probably reveals your presence. Also, those convenience stores often have mirrors awkwardly located, no telling when you will be spotted. Some stores are pretty large, so if you are back near the coolers trying to decide which of dozens of beer brands to take, you might be 40' or more from the action near the cash register, and very likely the clerk is in your field of fire, too, with lots of merchandize racks in between for cover, or for "warning shots."

I think you will be like the EOD bomb disposal fellow who was asked what you can do when you encounter a bomb configuration you've never seen before. "Examine it carefully, take your best guess and hope it works." As former Congressman David Crockett put it, "Be sure you're right, then go ahead."
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Wodathunkit

Post by Wodathunkit »

Abraham wrote:"I would stay back but would rack the slide of my gun so that the perp knew it was loaded."

At what point do you flash your CHL badge? "rlol"
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

stay in the back, cover my family, keep my eyes open, make sure someone has called 911.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

In a perfect scenario, quietly & calmly secure my kids, look for an exit, have one of my kids call 9-11 and weapon drawn only if he can't see me. Only to protect my children and myself. Mentally PRAY to God for strength & assistance non-stop, visually watching for his move.

I am no Navy Seal. I know my limits and I know the limits of my gun. I only have 7 shots. Most often he just wants the money and to get away and he can have it.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Topic author
g31357

Post by g31357 »

OK, sounds like many of you have common sense. I would probably do the same, have my weapon drawn quietly in the back in case he comes but otherwise wait it out.

Lets say your walking out of the bathroom and you see him with a gun pointed right at your child or family member. Your coming to him from the back and have a clear shot, where do you shoot him?

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

steveincowtown wrote:
Abraham wrote: No- don't pull gun and shoot.

I think you might shoot yourself this way. "rlol"
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

g31357 wrote:OK, sounds like many of you have common sense. I would probably do the same, have my weapon drawn quietly in the back in case he comes but otherwise wait it out.

Lets say your walking out of the bathroom and you see him with a gun pointed right at your child or family member. Your coming to him from the back and have a clear shot, where do you shoot him?
Base of the skull by the bump.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

CowboyEngineer wrote:I would stay in the back, draw my weapon and wait. I don't need the legal, financial, and emotional problems that come with shooting someone. Also, in a gun fight there is significant physical risk. Ranging from death, vegetative state, paralysis, to relatively minor injuries. For me, for this situation there is too much risk, not enough reason to attack. If, however, the situation changes, my gun is ready to send some 40 caliber attitude adjustment his way.
Make it .45 caliber in my case, but yeah. It's not my job to protect a shop owner from thieves. When they target ME, then it becomes my job to get involved. I might get involved if they were shooting/raping/stabbing/beating someone else......maybe.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

suthdj wrote:
steveincowtown wrote: No- don't pull gun and shoot.

I think you might shoot yourself this way. "rlol"

BWAHAHAHAHAH! Nice. Ok, so maybe just "don't pull gun."
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”