Renewal Question(s)

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Aladinbama
Posts in topic: 7

Renewal Question(s)

Post by Aladinbama »

I did a quick look and didnt find this in the FAQ areas and renewal section of the post Sept. 1st thread. I know it's here somewhere, but ...

I started my application in May (or somewhere around there) and my license expires the end of the first week in Oct. I went to a gunshow today to inquire about classes and received mixed answers. I'll end up calling on Monday just to make sure, but ... Do I have to complete a renewal course to get my license renewed? Again, one guys said yes, and a couple more said call and they'll probably send it to you. I'm going to call, but would like to know before Monday!
Thanks! :patriot:
4/16/2009 Packet Received
9/4/2009 Application Complete - License Issued or Certificate Active
09/09/09 License in Hand
http://www.thegunstockdoctor.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

maxpower
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Renewal Question(s)

Post by maxpower »

no class needed. I applied (renewal) online 9/1 and my CHL was mailed 9/19. it's just that easy

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

maxpower wrote:no class needed. I applied (renewal) online 9/1 and my CHL was mailed 9/19. it's just that easy
If it was that easy, wouldn't his be mailed by now? It sounds like he applied four months before you.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Topic author
Aladinbama

Post by Aladinbama »

I completed my application online before the law changed.
Due to that, the one individual said that since I started the process before the law changed I must complete the renewal class - he was also pushing his $70 renewal class pretty hard. Two other gentlemen basically told me to call and find out before I committed to a class. They said that "chances are" I wouldn't have to take the class and they would just change something in the system and issue my license.
I asked here because I thought somebody would know. Time will tell - I hate waiting until Monday - :banghead: !
09/09/09 License in Hand

mikeloc

Post by mikeloc »

Aladinbama wrote:I completed my application online before the law changed.
Due to that, the one individual said that since I started the process before the law changed I must complete the renewal class - he was also pushing his $70 renewal class pretty hard. Two other gentlemen basically told me to call and find out before I committed to a class. They said that "chances are" I wouldn't have to take the class and they would just change something in the system and issue my license.
I asked here because I thought somebody would know. Time will tell - I hate waiting until Monday - :banghead: !
You do not have to take the class, but you do have to either mail/or email your check sheet with the bar code. You can check your status online if you have completed your application.

Mike

Deans
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Deans »

The check sheet with the bar code is that all that is needed to be sent in? Don't need the CHL-100 certificate or the photo and fingerprints as stated?

Deans

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

Deans wrote:The check sheet with the bar code is that all that is needed to be sent in? Don't need the CHL-100 certificate or the photo and fingerprints as stated?

Deans

No CHL-100 for a renewal if you are not expired. The system has not been re-programmed yet. It still thinks you need one and puts it on the checklist. The DPS folks know you don't.

No photo for a renewal or a new application as long as you have a valid TX drivers license. They will use the DL photo if needed or the old CHL photo if not.

If your are expired, you are technically not a renewal. You start over. As far as it was explained to us by the DPS, there is no more grace period after expiration.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

kg5ie wrote:If your are expired, you are technically not a renewal. You start over. As far as it was explained to us by the DPS, there is no more grace period after expiration.
That's what the new law says but DPS told other people they will ignore the law. viewtopic.php?f=0&t=69025" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by gringo pistolero on Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

Deans

Post by Deans »

kg5ie wrote:
Deans wrote:The check sheet with the bar code is that all that is needed to be sent in? Don't need the CHL-100 certificate or the photo and fingerprints as stated?

Deans

No CHL-100 for a renewal if you are not expired. The system has not been re-programmed yet. It still thinks you need one and puts it on the checklist. The DPS folks know you don't.

No photo for a renewal or a new application as long as you have a valid TX drivers license. They will use the DL photo if needed or the old CHL photo if not.

If your are expired, you are technically not a renewal. You start over. As far as it was explained to us by the DPS, there is no more grace period after expiration.

Thanks. My CHL has not expired. Just did not completely understand.

Deans

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

gringo pistolero wrote:
kg5ie wrote:If your are expired, you are technically not a renewal. You start over. As far as it was explained to us by the DPS, there is no more grace period after expiration.
That's what the new law says but DPS has told people they will ignore the law. viewtopic.php?f=0&t=69025" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good news and thanks for the info. I suspected they would have to make some sort of decision. There were too many folks caught up in the change, expecting to have the grace period. I guess they changed their mind, again!! I guess they can "administrative rule" around the law.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Topic author
Aladinbama

Post by Aladinbama »

kg5ie wrote: No CHL-100 for a renewal if you are not expired. The system has not been re-programmed yet. It still thinks you need one and puts it on the checklist. The DPS folks know you don't.

That was my understanding, but ....
I'll call to confirm this in the morning with my bar coded email (received from them) in an envelope ready to mail! They already have my money :biggrinjester:
09/09/09 License in Hand

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

""That's what the new law says but DPS told other people they will ignore the law." viewtopic.php?f=0&t=69025 :rules: :rules:

someones quote..

If that is the case can I now use the target B-27 E :rules: that is a little shorter but same width and every thing else??
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

Tic Tac

Post by Tic Tac »

o b juan wrote:If that is the case can I now use the target B-27 E :rules: that is a little shorter but same width and every thing else??
No. You're not allowed to molest women on the side of the road either, so don't even bother asking.

Topic author
Aladinbama

Post by Aladinbama »

Well, I called Monday several times and was put on permahold. I decided to email them later with the idea that they may respond that way - They didn't.
Called Tuesday - BUSY and again Wednesday. This morning at 7:59 I called and actually got through. The lady said, that they had my application, received the barcoded attachment that was sent Monday and are processing my renewal and for me to call back in 15 days to check it's status.
My guess is that my email Monday set my application in motion as it was lost in files since I began the process in May. Hopefully everything will work out! I'll keep you posted
09/09/09 License in Hand

Topic author
Aladinbama

Post by Aladinbama »

Just checked today and there are updates online. My license is in the "manufacturing" stage of the process :thewave
09/09/09 License in Hand

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”