30.06 at Gun Shows

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 24

30.06 at Gun Shows

Post by nightmare69 »

Im going to the Tyler gun show tomorrow and others have told me its posted. I always wondered why, going to a pro gun event and they forbid CC. Anyone else been there and know if its posted? I know they have a sign saying no ammo in the building but that would not apply to CHLs.

http://www.lonestargunshows.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

fickman
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 30.06 at Gun Shows

Post by fickman »

The theories are endless: insurance, liability, "safety", CHLers continuing to intentionally fail to conceal in public, etc.

If it's a city owned facility, the wording of the law seems to imply that the sign is not enforceable, but the police checking guns at the door are likely to disagree.

So, you can either:
1. Disarm
2. Go with the "concealed is concealed" approach
3. Avoid the gun show

I do #3 because of the officers at the door. If we won't go to a movie theater posted 30.06, I don't plan to go to a gun show posted 30.06.

If it's not a city owned facility, the posting would be valid and you can only legally choose #1 or #3.
Native Texian

fickman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by fickman »

I guess the hard concept for some CHLers out there is the fact that your concealed firearm is NOT for display at a gun show. If you want to look for accessories for a certain gun, you need to bring it in unloaded and declare it at the door and conceal a different gun. You concealed firearm must remain concealed in public.

BTW: I don't have any specific info for the Tyler gun show. I'll defer to others for that.
Native Texian

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Ill find out tomorrow for sure but I know the Longview gun show is posted and Im sure this one is also.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RogueUSMC »

Harvey Hall is owned by the city of Tyler...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

RogueUSMC wrote:Harvey Hall is owned by the city of Tyler...
So is Modd Cobb in Longview and it was posted.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Panda
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Panda »

A simple "no guns" sign might be blamed on insurance. A full blown 30.06 sign days they don't like Texans being able to carry guns in public. Do you really want to support antigunners?

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Panda wrote:A simple "no guns" sign might be blamed on insurance. A full blown 30.06 sign days they don't like Texans being able to carry guns in public. Do you really want to support antigunners?
There are only 2 gun shows I'm east Texas. They should not be able to post city property. I will carry my unloaded zip tied firearm cause I refuse to leave it in the truck. I don't like it but I like going to gun shows.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Panda wrote:A simple "no guns" sign might be blamed on insurance. A full blown 30.06 sign days they don't like Texans being able to carry guns in public. Do you really want to support antigunners?
Am I the only person who sees a "no guns" sign at a gun show ironic? :cheers2:

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

I called and they said it is posted. Can someone give me a link to Texas state law saying that city owned property cannot be posted or something similar? I need it to be a legit link from the state of Texas.

I found it..

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.30.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Time to write a email.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 7

Post by cb1000rider »

Let us know the response.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

cb1000rider wrote:Let us know the response.
I called and asked who is posting it. I asked is the city or lone star gun shows posting it. Both said the other is posting it. Im not going to carry past it even though Texas law says I can but this needs to be corrected. I found a thread from 2005 on here that Cotton started on this very thing. Why has this not been cleared up yet with the cities of Texas? Seems pretty clear to me...
(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

nightmare69 wrote:
cb1000rider wrote:Let us know the response.
I called and asked who is posting it. I asked is the city or lone star gun shows posting it. Both said the other is posting it. Im not going to carry past it even though Texas law says I can but this needs to be corrected. I found a thread from 2005 on here that Cotton started on this very thing. Why has this not been cleared up yet with the cities of Texas? Seems pretty clear to me...
(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.
It was introduced as a bill this session to make it a penalty for a city to post their property but it didn't make it through to the floor.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Keith B wrote: It was introduced as a bill this session to make it a penalty for a city to post their property but it didn't make it through to the floor.
I was aware of that, hopefully one day it will make it. My question is why has this not been cleared up yet after 10 years? Its not like this is something new, by now any city should know they can post it but it means nothing.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

nightmare69 wrote:
Keith B wrote: It was introduced as a bill this session to make it a penalty for a city to post their property but it didn't make it through to the floor.
I was aware of that, hopefully one day it will make it. My question is why has this not been cleared up yet after 10 years? Its not like this is something new, by now any city should know they can post it but it means nothing.
When you have no teeth in a law and no penalty for doing something, then they will continue to try and bluff. The problem with it is many of the people who are out there don't know that it is not valid and will arrest someone for passing it. Then they let the DA figure it out, so you are out money.

The bill this session would have remedied that by forcing cities to remove the signs and educate their personnel on 30.06, but unfortunately it didn't make it through the session.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”