CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gr0cerycarter
Posts in topic: 2

Storing in console on UTMB campus?

Post by gr0cerycarter »

Hey all,

New to the forums here. Because I am a medical student, and not an "employee" of UTMB, what does the law imply about my right to keep my firearm in my car's console if I am parked in a lot? Does the "premise" definition still hold true even though this is an academic teaching hospital? We were given lots of information at Mr. Estep's class, but most of the people were older than me and this kind of scenario wasn't particularly applicable to them and wasn't covered in depth. Thanks in advance. :bigear:

baldeagle

Re: Storing in console on UTMB campus?

Post by baldeagle »

The Texas State Attorney General has written an opinion regarding Texas Labor Code 52.061 as it applies to employees. https://www.oag.state.tx.us/opinions/op ... ga0972.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not aware of a similar opinion regarding non-employees. If you are considered an employee, then Texas Labor Code 52.061 authorizes you to legally store a weapon in your vehicle when parked on UTMB property. If you are not an employee, then you need to rely on Texas Penal Code 46.035(f)(3), which defines premises with regard to hospitals and educational institutions thus: "(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area."

So, regardless of whether or not you are an employee, you may legally carry your weapon until you arrive in the parking lot, and you may legally store it in your vehicle. I would seriously consider getting a safe to store it in. Cars can be broken into. You can find safes like these are Cabelas along with many other places - http://www.meijer.com/s/gunvault-nanova ... kpid=NV100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

apostate
Posts in topic: 1

Post by apostate »

gr0cerycarter wrote:New to the forums here. Because I am a medical student, and not an "employee" of UTMB, what does the law imply about my right to keep my firearm in my car's console if I am parked in a lot?
What does the UTMB student handbook or code of conduct say?

howdy

Post by howdy »

apostate wrote:
gr0cerycarter wrote:New to the forums here. Because I am a medical student, and not an "employee" of UTMB, what does the law imply about my right to keep my firearm in my car's console if I am parked in a lot?

This is VERY Important. You said you were a student, and I'm sure the competition to BE a student there is very high. The University Of Houston Student handbook says that ANY STUDENT caught with a weapon anywhere on campus will be immediately expelled and never re-admitted. UT might have the same rules. That might be a life altering consequence of having that gun in your console. There is the law and then there are rules. You must know both.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Here's a link to the UTMB Policies and Procedures Handbook - http://www.utmb.edu/Policies_And_Proced ... PNP_004985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
• possessing or using any type of explosive, firearm, imitation firearm ammunition, hazardous chemical, or weapon as defined by state or federal law, while on campus or on any property or in any building or facility owned or controlled by the System or component institution, unless authorized by federal, state or local laws
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Lonest4r

Post by Lonest4r »

UTMB med student here as well. I just don't risk it because I don't want to have to fight to keep my reputation and career afloat should I ever be stopped by university police.
LONEST4R
7/24/10 Class- 8/28/10 Plastic!
Glock 26 in Horsehide Supertuck

jmra

Post by jmra »

Lonest4r wrote:UTMB med student here as well. I just don't risk it because I don't want to have to fight to keep my reputation and career afloat should I ever be stopped by university police.
Can't argue with that logic.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Lonest4r

Post by Lonest4r »

Most of the time I park on a city street that is technically "student parking only" and I am not too worried about Galveston PD, but university police have a reputation across the state for being a little slow when it comes to understanding rights and the definition of "premesis" as building or portion of a building.
Last edited by Lonest4r on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
LONEST4R
7/24/10 Class- 8/28/10 Plastic!
Glock 26 in Horsehide Supertuck

Topic author
gr0cerycarter

Post by gr0cerycarter »

Lonest4r wrote:UTMB med student here as well. I just don't risk it because I don't want to have to fight to keep my reputation and career afloat should I ever be stopped by university police.
That's exactly the way I've been thinking about it. Just wanted to inquire with the folks on here to see what the consensus was.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

apostate wrote:
Most universities will state that this violates the code of conduct. You won't get arrested, but you could get expelled. Get a locking device for the car as others stated.

alvins

Post by alvins »

my mother teaches at utmb she has asked me in the past how they can prohibit chl.this was back when the campus carry thing was trying to get passed.i refuse to help her with it.

ill try to remember to ask her what they would do if you were caught with a gun in your car.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”