National Parks ( Big Bend )

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Bill
Posts in topic: 1

National Parks ( Big Bend )

Post by Bill »

I was in Big Bend on my Harley this past week. I carry in my saddlebag XD sub compact 40. As I drive up I remembered only in State Parks was it legal to CC. Well, they have a sign, no loaded guns in park. At this point I decided not to pull it out and unload , thus possibly alarming the public and causing issues. I paid my 10.00 and drove through the park loaded, and taking care to obey the 45mph speeds. I was a little nervous but no problems.

I have been into the park a number of times but I am truly amazed at the beauty of its starkness, vastness and ruggedness. If you ever get a chance to go its one of my favorite's
retired CHL Instructor

texas297

Re: National Parks ( Big Bend )

Post by texas297 »

Bill wrote:I was in Big Bend on my Harley this past week. I carry in my saddlebag XD sub compact 40. As I drive up I remembered only in State Parks was it legal to CC. Well, they have a sign, no loaded guns in park. At this point I decided not to pull it out and unload , thus possibly alarming the public and causing issues. I paid my 10.00 and drove through the park loaded, and taking care to obey the 45mph speeds. I was a little nervous but no problems.

I have been into the park a number of times but I am truly amazed at the beauty of its starkness, vastness and ruggedness. If you ever get a chance to go its one of my favorite's
Got to go there about 5 years ago. Though not lucky enough to take the Hog, for I didn't have it then.

You are right on the beauty on the park. It is probably the most beautiful, least visited National Park we have.

You were smart to go when you did, my wife and I went in July and it was HOT!

What amazed me the most was the remoteness of it and the whole region.

Regards,
David

Lodge2004

Post by Lodge2004 »

My last visit was about 10 years ago. I took several trips there after high school and during my college days (25+ years ago) and did several exercises in the vicinity during my Army days.

It is my favorite place in Texas. Nothing like sitting on the South Rim and looking out over the park. I have spent up to 5 days in the park without seing another human...absolutely love it!

I seem to remember the park ranger office having a sign that said something like: beware of bears & mountain lions, no guns allowed. I have seen "mules" packing drugs through the park. I have experienced low flying planes coming through at night with no running lights. I have encoutered illegals walking through in groups. I would never go there unarmed.

brewer90

Re: National Parks ( Big Bend )

Post by brewer90 »

Bill wrote:
You should go there on a dual sport bike and explore all of the dirt roads in the park. It's a beautiful place.

attila79
Posts in topic: 2

Post by attila79 »

I will be traveling to Big Bend this weekend. I went ahead and called about being a chl holder. They said I could enter the park with my firearm, but I could not have it loaded.

Are they in the right???

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

attila79 wrote:I will be traveling to Big Bend this weekend. I went ahead and called about being a chl holder. They said I could enter the park with my firearm, but I could not have it loaded.

Are they in the right???
Heh -- I like the way you phrased that. ;-)

No, they're not "in the right", but they are correct, and their authority to ban loaded firearms has not been overturned in court.

Kevin

Darwood

Post by Darwood »

attila79 wrote:I will be traveling to Big Bend this weekend. I went ahead and called about being a chl holder. They said I could enter the park with my firearm, but I could not have it loaded.

Are they in the right???
That's good to know seeing as I'm thinking about going there in a couple weeks. From my experience the National Park no firearms thing is pretty universal. Not to be confused with National Forest.

ccoker

Post by ccoker »

I have done numerous mountain bike races out of Lajitas just north of Big Bend... such a neat area

so..
gun ok
loaded not

hmm
mag handy but not in gun?

attila79
Posts in topic: 2

Post by attila79 »

just a quick update...Big Bend was freaking COLD :shock:

It was also snowing in some parts. Most of the time we just stayed in the van riding around. I did unload my weapon, but kept my clip close by just in case, but I did see rangers stopping people and in one instance saw them giving a sobriety test.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”