CHL Dilemma Question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Sunrise Beach
Posts in topic: 1

CHL Dilemma Question

Post by Sunrise Beach »

The dilemma is I happen to stop at a friend's house while I am out and about. I am invited inside. I am carrying but do not want to leave my gun in my truck nor tell my friends I am carrying. What is the LEGAL obligation? :headscratch

74novaman
Posts in topic: 4

Re: CHL Dilemma Question

Post by 74novaman »

There is no legal obligation to inform anyone but an LEO that you are armed.
TANSTAAFL

jmra

Post by jmra »

We are blessed to live in Texas. Unless your friend has a 30.06 sign posted on his door or has verbally told you he does not want anyone (or you specifically) bringing guns into his home, carry on with sealed lips. Now if you were visiting a friend in AR or LA you are required to inform the home owner prior to entering the door. I hate leaving the gun in the car parked on the street in uptown New Orleans when visiting the wife's elderly Aunts.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

Has someone told you otherwise? In LA, one must inform another homeowner that they are armed before entering their residence, but that is not the case here in Texas.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

C-dub wrote:Has someone told you otherwise? In LA, one must inform another homeowner that they are armed before entering their residence, but that is not the case here in Texas.
You also have to do this in Arkansas.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

IIRC, North Carolina too. Pretty wierd.

Thank God for Texas. If it's concealed, you will be the only one who knows anyway.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Yeah I should have added: "in Texas". Handgun and chl laws vary by state, so if you're going across state lines check out handgunlaw.us
TANSTAAFL

Kadelic

Post by Kadelic »

I was just wondering this myself. My CHL instructor was right about things making more sense in Texas than in other state.
Honor Necessity

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Kadelic wrote:I was just wondering this myself. My CHL instructor was right about things making more sense in Texas than in other state.
For a lot of things that is correct, but there are some things that still don't. One example is the requirement to show your license to an officer (if you're carrying at the time) that is not there if carrying under the MPA.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

C-dub wrote:
Kadelic wrote:I was just wondering this myself. My CHL instructor was right about things making more sense in Texas than in other state.
For a lot of things that is correct, but there are some things that still don't. One example is the requirement to show your license to an officer (if you're carrying at the time) that is not there if carrying under the MPA.
And to make that more confusing, there is no PENALTY for failing to show an LEO your license when pulled over, but its still REQUIRED.
TANSTAAFL

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

74novaman wrote:
C-dub wrote:
And to make that more confusing, there is no PENALTY for failing to show an LEO your license when pulled over, but its still REQUIRED.
Maybe that one makes sense and is just one step closer to removing the requirement. :idea:

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

If there is no penalty for failing to comply then it has been effectively removed, if not legally removed.

Seems like a silly thing to me, but this is the same legislature who can't strike out churches/amusment parks from prohibited places...they have to go add another subsection saying the previous subsection doesn't count anymore, so.... "rlol"
TANSTAAFL

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

74novaman wrote:If there is no penalty for failing to comply then it has been effectively removed, if not legally removed.

Seems like a silly thing to me, but this is the same legislature who can't strike out churches/amusment parks from prohibited places...they have to go add another subsection saying the previous subsection doesn't count anymore, so.... "rlol"

Actually, it DOES count. It's a technicality, but...

If you eliminated the section for churches (for example) from the law, and then carried into a properly 30.06-posted church, you would be guilty of violating PC 30.06.

However, with the law as written, carrying into a properly posted church would mean you've violated BOTH 30.06 and 46.035(b)(6). So you've now broken TWO laws, not just one.

(i.e., 46.035(i) says that Subsection (b)(6) (and others) still applies if the actor IS given effective notice. -- Removing the silly double negatives.)
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

GaryTx

Post by GaryTx »

C-dub wrote:Has someone told you otherwise? In LA, one must inform another homeowner that they are armed before entering their residence, but that is not the case here in Texas.
Another good reason to avoid Kalifornia.
NRA Life Member
http://www.texasLTCacademy.com.com
CHL Classes | Basic Handgun Classes | NRA Classes

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

GaryTx wrote:
Another good reason to avoid Kalifornia.
LA = Louisiana

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”