Waiting on plastic.. debating on what to carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jcarlson91
Posts in topic: 2

Waiting on plastic.. debating on what to carry?

Post by jcarlson91 »

Need some good ideas on what to carry. I'm 5'10 200lbs and would like to carry OWB. Don't really want to spend more than $600 on a handgun. I was looking into getting the XD40 3.1". Any thoughts?

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Waiting on plastic.. debating on what to carry?

Post by Jumping Frog »

Find a range that will let you rent/sample multiple handguns. Pick the one that you shoot the best.

It really does not matter what opinions we have online, it is the gun you most accurately shoot for yourself that matters.

Our free market produces so many choices in handguns because everyone is different. What feels good in my hand may feel like garbage in yours. A trigger I like may drive you crazy.

I would recommend you stick to reputable brands with a reputation for good customer service when choosing something that your life will depend upon.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Range and/or visit a couple of gun shops and handle what they have in stock. When we were handgun shopping I discovered it only took a few seconds to determine how good the gun felt in the hand.

An inexpensive handgun and a good shooter is the Ruger SR40 - after 500 rounds ours loosened up nicely and it is fun to shoot. Reliable, inexpensive, feels good in the hand, accurate.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Nano

Post by Nano »

I would suggest the Beretta Nano BU9. It is light weight, accurate, easy to conceal, and has been very reliable for me.
Attachments
IMG_1075.JPG
NRA Member

rvsullivan

Post by rvsullivan »

I'm 6' and 210 and started with an XDM .40 3.1 I carried it for about six weeks and sold it. Fully loaded it was to heavy and bulky. Might be ok for some, but I couldn't make it work.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

And I'm 6', 200 lbs. and have been carrying a G21SF on my strong side and two spare mags in a double mag carrier on my weak side for about 6 months and am comfortable with this setup.

Our individual preferences will be different.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Toorop

Post by Toorop »

I like the Glock 19 for an everyday carry gun. It holds 15+1 rounds and is a very compact size. It is lightweight, accurate, and reliable. It is also easy to find parts for and it is very common. Holsters are abundant for it. Glock also supports their customers with GSSF and allowing their customers to become armorers. You can't beat the Glock in my opinion, especially for the price.

Sheepdawg

Post by Sheepdawg »

I guess the XD .40 subcompact is a tad heavy, but I don't find it that hard to conceal. I'm pretty slim and carry IWB. I do typically use the short mag, though, and carry the extended as my extra. I love shooting it, though. Probably gonna keep it a while.

Kabong30

Post by Kabong30 »

Big fan of the XD40SC but I'm torn because I also have the XDM .45c. I too am waiting on processing and can't decide. I have a pocket holster for the .40 and then a cheapy Uncle Mike's for the .45. I want to invest in a nice holster, but then I feel like I'll want to switch between the two and want 2 nice holsters :???: I am a little more accurate with the .45 though.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I currently carry a 2" Colt DS. I recently purchased a Beretta PX4 Subcompact. This will be my primary carry as soon as my holster arrives. IMO, a gun that you can shoot well is the best choice. Go out and shoot as many guns as you can before making the final decision. In the long run, it will save you money.

Obviously you don't want to carry something that feels like a brick on your hip.
NRA Endowment Member

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

Go to a Cabella's or Bass Pro during the week and fondle and get the feel of as many guns as possible, typically they are not very busy and the sales person will spend time with you, not saying to buy it there though. What works for others will not necessarily work for you and the advice you get on forums sometimes is worth what you paid for it as everybody is different, hands and body type means a lot with carry handguns. The most popular gun we sell for carry is actually the Ruger LCR, I bought one myself in 357 but will tell ya it is a handful to shoot with 357 loads in it...........
Salty1

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Kabong30 wrote:... I want to invest in a nice holster, but then I feel like I'll want to switch between the two and want 2 nice holsters ....
If you are like many of us, you will wind up with several handguns and many more holsters :fire .
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

SRH78

Post by SRH78 »

I agree and going to cabelas and handling a large portion of what they had is exactly what I did several times. If you handle enough guns you will be able to narrow down the list and see what feels good in the hand and what doesn't and yes, each person is different. Heck, even my brother and I have very different preferences when it comes to handguns. Also, if you can find a place to rent the guns on your short list, that is even better.

Good luck.

Sheepdawg

Post by Sheepdawg »

Kabong30 wrote:Big fan of the XD40SC but I'm torn because I also have the XDM .45c. I too am waiting on processing and can't decide. I have a pocket holster for the .40 and then a cheapy Uncle Mike's for the .45. I want to invest in a nice holster, but then I feel like I'll want to switch between the two and want 2 nice holsters :???: I am a little more accurate with the .45 though.
What a terrible problem to have!! :mrgreen:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”