CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TexasAggie09
Posts in topic: 2

First time checking firearm

Post by TexasAggie09 »

Howdy y'all,
I flew from Houston Hobby to Denver DIA this weekend for 3 weeks of training for work. I wasn't going to bring my carry with me because I didn't have enough time to look up how to fly with it and my company prohibits carrying on their property and unfortunately the parking lot bill doesn't address anything about company vehicles. Anywho, last second with some googling and searching on here and southwest.com, I decided to bring it with me. Since I lack a good ammo case, I bought a new box of my favorite defense rounds and put it with my firearm and one empty magazine in the metal combination lock box that I normally keep in my truck. I got to the counter and declared it and the attendant didn't bat an eyelid and continued processing my bags and gave me that little white card. I filled it out and before he taped it to the outside of my case, he made me show him visually that it was unloaded and clear. He looked and said ok and I locked it and he taped the card to the case. No TSA involved at all! Was worried about my bags getting hung up but both spit out on the belt in Denver and I am happily protected here in the mile high city! I didn't bring my paddle holster to carry outside Denver but maybe it's best I not ruffle any feathers. Just wanted to share for anyone who is unsure about it!
Taurus Model 82 .38 Special
Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro
CZ 75 B 9mm
Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Special
Remington 870 Express Home Defense
Sig Sauer P229 Enhanced Elite .40 S&W
Rock River LAR-15 Elite Operator 2 .223/5.56

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2009

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First time checking firearm

Post by Jumping Frog »

Good job!
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Lonest4r

Post by Lonest4r »

Just don't make any stops in NYC. I've heard the airline personnel don't have the same professionalism.
LONEST4R
7/24/10 Class- 8/28/10 Plastic!
Glock 26 in Horsehide Supertuck

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

You avoided a big mistake, not taking your weapon when bag check was free. But you still made a couple of errors. 1 no holster and 2 the card is not always white, on Delta is bright orange on AA it's kind of fluorescent pink. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ;-)

Enjoy Denver. Don't eat the Rocky Mountain Oysters, they've only for tourists.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

Always be aware of the local gun laws of your destination.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Topic author
TexasAggie09

Post by TexasAggie09 »

RoyGBiv wrote:You avoided a big mistake, not taking your weapon when bag check was free. But you still made a couple of errors. 1 no holster and 2 the card is not always white, on Delta is bright orange on AA it's kind of fluorescent pink. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ;-)

Enjoy Denver. Don't eat the Rocky Mountain Oysters, they've only for tourists.
I brought my super tuck, just no paddle holster for open carry outside the city. I was merely describing the card as it relates to my experience on southwest. I've heard about those rocky mountain oysters...perhaps I'll suggest them to our Canadian coworkers ;)
Taurus Model 82 .38 Special
Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro
CZ 75 B 9mm
Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Special
Remington 870 Express Home Defense
Sig Sauer P229 Enhanced Elite .40 S&W
Rock River LAR-15 Elite Operator 2 .223/5.56

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2009

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

TexasAggie09 wrote: I brought my super tuck, just no paddle holster for open carry outside the city. I was merely describing the card as it relates to my experience on southwest. I've heard about those rocky mountain oysters...perhaps I'll suggest them to our Canadian coworkers ;)
Whatever you do, don't mention guns around your Canadian colleagues (assuming that they are there with you.). Some of them start to froth at the mouth when they hear the word "pistol". :evil2:
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

chasfm11 wrote:
TexasAggie09 wrote: I brought my super tuck, just no paddle holster for open carry outside the city. I was merely describing the card as it relates to my experience on southwest. I've heard about those rocky mountain oysters...perhaps I'll suggest them to our Canadian coworkers ;)
Whatever you do, don't mention guns around your Canadian colleagues (assuming that they are there with you.). Some of them start to froth at the mouth when they hear the word "pistol". :evil2:
I'd bet that the Canadians are just happy to be someplace warm. Denver will be 50 today and 60 tomorrow, compared to the beautiful Southern Canadian city of Toronto, where the high today and tomorrow will be 23 and 29 ('F) respectively... Vancouver's rather balmy at 24 today.

Not sure why that cracks me up so much but.... "rlol"
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

TexasAggie09 wrote:Howdy y'all,
I flew from Houston Hobby to Denver DIA this weekend for 3 weeks of training for work. I wasn't going to bring my carry with me because I didn't have enough time to look up how to fly with it and my company prohibits carrying on their property and unfortunately the parking lot bill doesn't address anything about company vehicles. Anywho, last second with some googling and searching on here and southwest.com, I decided to bring it with me. Since I lack a good ammo case, I bought a new box of my favorite defense rounds and put it with my firearm and one empty magazine in the metal combination lock box that I normally keep in my truck. I got to the counter and declared it and the attendant didn't bat an eyelid and continued processing my bags and gave me that little white card. I filled it out and before he taped it to the outside of my case, he made me show him visually that it was unloaded and clear. He looked and said ok and I locked it and he taped the card to the case. No TSA involved at all! Was worried about my bags getting hung up but both spit out on the belt in Denver and I am happily protected here in the mile high city! I didn't bring my paddle holster to carry outside Denver but maybe it's best I not ruffle any feathers. Just wanted to share for anyone who is unsure about it!
Just one thought. Although not illegal, what you did is most likely still in violation of company policy. You said that flew to Denver for a company training. I assume the company pays your travel expenses ( plane ticket, car rental, hotel, etc). As such your travel is part of your job and you just violated company policy. Hope no one from your company reads this post.
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

JJVP wrote:
TexasAggie09 wrote:Howdy y'all,
Just one thought. Although not illegal, what you did is most likely still in violation of company policy. You said that flew to Denver for a company training. I assume the company pays your travel expenses ( plane ticket, car rental, hotel, etc). As such your travel is part of your job and you just violated company policy. Hope no one from your company reads this post.

Ehh. Concealed is concealed. I would have taken mine too. Choosing between personal safety and personal finance is an easy choice to make. Of course, i'm saying this from my rocking chair in my living room of a rented house... on a college income.... with no real job except tutoring at school. :lol:: When you have nothing to lose, choices come so easily. haha.
No More Signature

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

I've traveled with a pistol many times on Southwest, without a problem. The rules are posted on their website. There is some variance in their procedure; some put the signed tag inside the locked case, some tape it outside. TSA does look at these bags. In Houston, IIRC, I was led into the TSA inspection room to stand there while they did it.

Just be sure that you don't have any ammo or accessories on your person or in carry-on. That really gets attention. The one time I flew without a pistol, I made it out of San Diego no problem, but on the return trip, San Antonio picked up the three loaded magazines I had in my carry-on computer case. Had I taken the pistol I would have moved the magazines to checked baggage but since I wasn't taking it, I forgot about it. Well, this caused a stir, and I figured I would be led away in handcuffs, in disgrace. They took my information, the TSA got me a hard case from the gift shop (I bet you didn't think hard case pistol cases are a big seller at San Antonio Airport gift shop! Apparently forgetting is a common problem), retrieved my baggage from Southwest so I could put the ammo in the case in the bags, and I didn't even miss my flight. I did get a "hate" letter from the FAA thereafter and ended up donating $200 to make it go away.

Follow the rules without error and there are no problems.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Taggart

Post by Taggart »

JJVP wrote:Just one thought. Although not illegal, what you did is most likely still in violation of company policy. You said that flew to Denver for a company training. I assume the company pays your travel expenses ( plane ticket, car rental, hotel, etc). As such your travel is part of your job and you just violated company policy. Hope no one from your company reads this post.
Very doubtful. Most company policies I've seen reference bringing weapons onto company property or property controlled by the company. A company-paid ticket doesn't make your airplane or hotel room company property.

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

JJVP wrote:
TexasAggie09 wrote:it!
I have to disagree with that. If he was driving in a company car then yeah they could say something but just cause they bought the ticket doesnt mean they own him.

rdcrags

Post by rdcrags »

They took my information, the TSA got me a hard case from the gift shop
That's interesting. Do you mean a hard case for the rounds that were in the mags, because you didn't have any cardboard boxes with you? I always pack the cardboard boxes loose in the clothing in the soft suitcase. And only the guns are in a hard case.
TX CHL 1997

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”