Concealed Carry Holster

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
DLBConductor
Posts in topic: 2

Concealed Carry Holster

Post by DLBConductor »

I completed my CHL class on December 10.  All during the class, I noticed that the instructor had a black nylon cell phone case clipped on the right side of his body in the 3 o'clock position. Lo and behold, at one point in the class, he removed his EDC from his "cell phone" case.

The black nylon case was made by WRB and came in two sizes, small and medium.  He had a box of both sizes available for purchase at $25@. I bought the medium size (6"W x 6.5"L x 1"D) and my SA XD Sub-Compact 9mm with a Pearce grip extender perfectly fit into the case. The flap on the case has heavy-duty Velcro and easily opens for a quick drawing of the pistol. The belt clip is a heavy metal clip that can be used with or without a belt.

I checked the WRB website but did not see the two models that he made available. The only similar model seemed to be a small version with two snaps. His cost seemed to be very reasonable since the WRB small "Deceiver" case with snaps was only $26.95. I don't know whether these are "older" discontinued cases or "newer" cases that are not yet listed on the WRB website.  In any case, they are fantastic because they are the smallest cases I have seen and do a great job of concealment.

I have a OTW, an ITW, a inside the pocket holster, and now this "Deceiver" case. Just for reference, how many of you use an on the waist "cellphone" type case for your EDC?
[12/10/2011: CHL Class - 100 Written and 240 Range][01/14/2012: Plastic - 31 Days!]
[NRA Life Member][TSRA Life Member][CHL]

apostate
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Concealed Carry Holster

Post by apostate »

If you don't mind me asking, what was his EDC?

I tried a similar product during the Summer and was less than thrilled. The fundamental problem, for me, is that even a Ruger LCP is noticeably larger than a smart phone. A larger compact gun like the Kahr PM9 is really out of the question. This despite the fact I can pocket carry a PM9 in office attire trousers without difficulty.

Having said that, if you can make it work and you're happy with your holster, that's the bottom line.

Topic author
DLBConductor

Post by DLBConductor »

I am not sure but I think it was either a very small Sig or Ruger.

My SA XD sub-compact is easily covered by the WRB Case. There is a small tuck-in flap covering the back of the pistol that immediately gives additional space when drawing. I have no problem quickly drawing the pistol full-handed. The top flap is long enough that the handle of the gun fits well above the front part of the case. It is well designed.
[12/10/2011: CHL Class - 100 Written and 240 Range][01/14/2012: Plastic - 31 Days!]
[NRA Life Member][TSRA Life Member][CHL]

rmr1923
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rmr1923 »

i've never tried what you're describing, but i've gotten in the habit of carrying a snub-nose .38 special in a pocket holster (front-right pocket), and the small imprint you do see looks nearly the same size/shape as most smart phones on the market these days. i'll slip my phone in my back pocket so i don't have a similar bulge on both sides.

Shinesintx

Post by Shinesintx »

IWB, in the SOB...is the only way I carry. Do what feels best for you.

rmr1923

Post by rmr1923 »

Shinesintx wrote:IWB, in the SOB...is the only way I carry. Do what feels best for you.
carrying in the SOB, do you find it uncomfortable when sitting down? i'm not sure what you carry (i believe you mentioned a Sig at one point) or what type of holster, but i tried carrying at 6:00 and found it real difficult to sit down comfortably.

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

Just a couple of notes about hook and loop (Velcro). Over time, if it is not opened, it will get to the point where it is like ripping a sewn seam open. The longer it sits unopened the harder it is to open. Depending on how you care for it, lint and other items can get caught in both the hook and loop side. The debris can cause it not to remain closed when you want it to. If you have to pull up on the flap to open it, it may take two hands as the only leverage you have is the weight of your gun. A flap where you pull down to open it will allow your belt to act as a 'second' hand.

Also, should you be in a situation where you need to get access to your weapon without drawing attention, your cover will be blown when you rip open the hook and loop closure. Being in the back of a convenience store during an armed robbery come to mind as just one example.

Don't get me wrong, I love hook and loop. As a hanggliding pilot my reserve parachute is held into place with Velcro. When stored, it is stored with the flap open. As part of my pre-flight it is closed and opened a couple of times and then carefully closed. I have seen a pilot launching and have his parachute 'pop' out of the parachute pouch with dreadful results. I have also heard of one pilot that needed his chute and had a hard time getting it out. (He did get it out and deployed in time.)

Like any holster, you should practice and train with the tools you will be using. Insure that this is something YOU are comfortable using. Check the stitching on the Velcro periodically and insure it is a polyester type thread and not cotton. Having the stitching come loose at the wrong time could cause you to not be able to get it open. Also be cautious when putting a recently fired (hot barrel) into the holder as the melting point of most hook and loop is very low. Best of luck and welcome to the forum.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Shinesintx wrote:IWB, in the SOB...is the only way I carry. Do what feels best for you.
SOB carry is the worst way to carry IMHO. If you are seated accessing the gun is difficult. Falling on your back is another concern with the chance of the gun causing spinal injury. But, the chance of sweeping yourself with a loaded gun can't be overstated. There have been more than one SOB carrier who shot themselves between the pocketbook and the comb. I would recommend you reconsider how you carry.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

rmr1923 wrote:
carrying in the SOB, do you find it uncomfortable when sitting down? i'm not sure what you carry (i believe you mentioned a Sig at one point) or what type of holster, but i tried carrying at 6:00 and found it real difficult to sit down comfortably.
While its not my primary method of carry, I do at times carry SOB. The handgun I choose to carry this way is a Beretta P92, a rather long and bulky gun. My holster is an Uncle Mikes. The holster has lots of padding, and rides pretty comfortably. In fact if I'm walking around and on my feet a lot, my Beretta is the most comfortable carry I have. I have practiced with it quite a bit, and don't find it anymore likely to sweep my self than any other carry. Admittedly it is a longer draw and I sweep a lot of ground when I do draw, but I don't understand why anyone would be more likely to sweep themselves than on the hip. Certainly the groin carry is more likely to result in a self sweep.

I find I can drive with it rather comfortably for about an hour. Any longer and it becomes a real pain in the buttocks. Any other sitting isn't so bad, as long as as one isn't in the habit of leaning back in the chair for hours. The secret is not to sit on the gun but to have it in back of you and to sit forward of a chair that has a back.

I've seen the claim that SOB will cause spinal injuries if one falls on top of the gun. I feel that my particular holster has enough padding on it that it might offer more protection than danger in a fall. I don't doubt that some one somewhere has hurt them-self falling on their gun, but I've never seen 1st hand knowledge.

I think it has its place, it is a method of carry that works with a cheaper holster and one can hide a really big gun that is very comfortable when walking around.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

Swear by CrossBreed SuperTuck and MiniTuck. My XDm's go into the SuperTuck while my Kahr PM9 fits nicely in the Mini. Wear them at 3:30, and they tend to slide naturally to 4:00. Don't know why, I guess it is my body habitus that dictates it. I ordered a Comp-Tac holster for my Glock 30, and I will open it up on Christmas day. I hope it is as wonderful as my CrossBreeds are!

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

rmr1923

Post by rmr1923 »

johnson0317 wrote:Swear by CrossBreed SuperTuck and MiniTuck. My XDm's go into the SuperTuck while my Kahr PM9 fits nicely in the Mini. Wear them at 3:30, and they tend to slide naturally to 4:00. Don't know why, I guess it is my body habitus that dictates it. I ordered a Comp-Tac holster for my Glock 30, and I will open it up on Christmas day. I hope it is as wonderful as my CrossBreeds are!

RJ
same way i carry, with a supertuck-style custom made holster. the sweet spot for me is at around 4:00-4:30, conceals well under normal clothing, and i can sit down comfortably for hours. in fact, i made an 8 hour drive with that setup over Thanksgiving and i forgot the gun was there until i made a pit stop.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

I wouldn't ever use a 6 o'clock holster, pocket holster, or any kind of holster with a "flap," because by the time you dig it out, you'll be dead. Don't "follow the crowd" and get an IWB holster just because "that's what everybody uses." Get what works for you. Jeez, I see some guys carrying big Glocks or full size 1911's IWB. I can't imagine sitting through a 3 hour movie like that. I carry my P238 in a neat little OWB holster on the belt (using the slots, not the clip), where it's extremely comfortable - I forget I'm wearing it, actually - and I can grab it in a hurry if I need to. I can have it out and get the first shot off in less than .75 seconds. Pics at:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4427#p619661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .
-Ruark

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Ruark wrote: Get what works for you. Jeez, I see some guys carrying big Glocks or full size 1911's IWB. I can't imagine sitting through a 3 hour movie like that.
I have been wearing a full size 1911 for some time now. I am used to it and wear it all the time and have no problem with it. It doesn't matter what I am doing, I am used to it and it does not bother me. It did take a couple of days getting used to and I did have some soreness for a couple of days, but the ong term result is much better than the short term inconvenience. The more you carry the more natural it feels and the more used to it you will get.

Seabear

Post by Seabear »

Ruark wrote: I can have it out and get the first shot off in less than .75 seconds. .

I'd like to see that. Man, that is screamin' fast. :fire
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Seabear wrote:
Ruark wrote: I can have it out and get the first shot off in less than .75 seconds. .

I'd like to see that. Man, that is screamin' fast. :fire
Nahhh, not really. When the weather dries a little out here, I'll do a YouTube video. Probably next week.
-Ruark

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”