Peeping Tom Last Night/Reccomendations needed.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
snatchel
Posts in topic: 6

Peeping Tom Last Night/Reccomendations needed.

Post by snatchel »

I wanted to post this earlier, but I have only had af ew minutes to hop on the forum thus far this morning. Finally caught a break, so here is the story:

Last night around mindnight I was waiting for my wife to finish showering and go to bed. I got up to let my german shorthaired out to use the bathroom and as I walked by my dining room window I saw movement out of the window. We have plantation shutters on all of our windows, and we usually leave the dining room shutters open for our dog to see out- there are always cats/squirrels he watches all day. As I walked by this window and saw movement, I assumed it was a cat... until I see this thing take off, and could make out a person!

I ran out of the house after him, but he was LONG gone in the time it took me to yell to my wife to call the cops and get out the door. Police arrived and took a report, and I learned that this guy has been seen peeping in our neighborhood several times over the last year. Unfortunately, they haven't gotten a good description or caught him yet.

Lucky I didn't catch him.... wouldn't have shot him (unless he was armed/presented a threat) but it would have taken a lot to keep me from beating him. I know he was waiting for my wife to get out of the shower, she has the same routine every night and I'm sure he has had a couple of really good shows- he knew which window to wait by. Jerk.

So my mission for the day: Infrared Game Cameras. Gonna by 4 of them... one for each side of my house, and 2 for my neighbor. He has 3 teenage daughters and said that they saw him last friday creeping by one of his daughters bedroom windows. I need reccomendations on GOOD, STURDY, CLEAR cameras guys.
No More Signature

karder
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Peeping Tom Last Night/Reccomendations needed.

Post by karder »

Are you going to do the installation yourself? You may want to give consideration to calling a security company and getting a quote on a system. If you build it yourself, you can do it fairly inexpensively, but if you don't know much about cameras, some know how can be worth the extra money. check out this link. You can probably piece mill a system with a hard drive recorder that will work ok without too much trouble.

Good luck and keep your doors locked!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Camer ... 4293342854" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

speedsix
Posts in topic: 10

Post by speedsix »

...many a Peeping Tom has enjoyed a late-night baseball game...and crawled away dragging a smashed leg...

fishman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by fishman »

I use Moultie and wildlife innovations. Place them high in a tree looking down so no one notices them. I had mine up a month and no knew it until I took the SD card out and was checking the pictures.Lots of good pics of my dog, myself, and tree branches on a windy day.
IANAL

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

karder wrote:Are you going to do the installation yourself? You may want to give consideration to calling a security company and getting a quote on a system. If you build it yourself, you can do it fairly inexpensively, but if you don't know much about cameras, some know how can be worth the extra money. check out this link. You can probably piece mill a system with a hard drive recorder that will work ok without too much trouble.

Good luck and keep your doors locked!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Camer ... 4293342854" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:iagree: ; furthermore, make sure that your in$urance guy know$ of your security system. There $hould be a decrea$e in your homeowner premium$, etc.

ITMT, get a BB gun and try to shoot out his eyes. Momma said...

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...good tip...I think you can also get a discount for other "security" measures...varying from insurer to insurer...
http://www.quotescout.com/insurance-tip ... ance-Costs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by speedsix on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stroguy

Post by stroguy »

Here is a night shot of my driveway. Simple $80 camera and it is my third set of eyes outside. Second set is my dogs. I record this and my front porch with a second camera 24/7. Good luck and have your bat in one hand, a pistol in the second.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...what do you feed the camera into and can it take both at the same time? what's the total cost for the equipment? that's the best resolution I've seen yet...

Commander Cody
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Commander Cody »

[quote="snatchel"]I ran out of the house after him, but...{quote]

Don't do that!
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.a ... BC&topnav=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good hunting.!
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

stroguy

Post by stroguy »

This is the camera that took that snapshot. I did not buy it at sears. It can be had cheaper.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... 5607465402" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Initially I recorded to my PC but now I have a dedicated DVR that records 24/7 and overwrites old with new. I get about 7 days of recording before the files disappear.

Here is a pic from that camera catching a vandal that threw a rock from my mailbox through a neighbors window. Caught him the next day. He denied it until the Constable showed him the pic and asked if he wanted to see the video.

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

You can also close your shades so there's nothing to peep at. It's also an extra line of defense against someone casing the joint.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...neat...thanks!!!

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

speedsix wrote:...what do you feed the camera into and can it take both at the same time? what's the total cost for the equipment? that's the best resolution I've seen yet...
You can get a low end system for a few hundred dollars - four cameras and a DVR, and the sky is the limit after that.

Most of the DVR systems and all of the ones that use a computer you provide, can be set up to record all cameras, or only those that are active (motion sensors). Recording all cameras all the time uses up lots of space, particularly if you are just recording the driveway with nothing in it, so motion sensing is best.

I prefer wireds systems, wireless is great, but you have to power it somehow, which means changing batteries on a regular basis, or running power, and if you are going to run power, you might just as well wire all the way, which also eliminates the interference that plagues the wireless systems in today's wireless world.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...thanks, y'all will drag me kickin' and screamin' into the twentieth century yet!!!(no hope for the 21st)

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”