The Real Gun Show promoter

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
drinks
Posts in topic: 4

The Real Gun Show promoter

Post by drinks »

I went to a small gun show at Cleveland, yesterday.
It was held in a building owned by the city, the promoter had a 30.0.6 sign in the front, I told a functionary the sign was not lawful as the building was city owned, she said she would tell the promoter.
I asked the cop there if he knew the sign was not lawful on a city owned building, he said sure it was.
I got done as soon as possible and I shall never go to another show by that promoter.
It is very likely he is aware of the law as he had the full 30.0.6 signage,size, and in spanish, too.
So he is likely just dishonest by choice.
I also refuse to do business with any person or firm that charges more for a credit card sale than cash, as that is a violation of state law and a violation of the written contract the merchant has with the credit card co.
They show themselves to be dishonest and untrustworthy.
NRA, TSRA, CCRKBA, SAF, JPFO, Def-Con, GOA and CBA.

fulano
Posts in topic: 1

Re: The Real Gun Show promoter

Post by fulano »

Well, you won't be going to many guns shows. I agree that its like not being able to drive a car to a car show but....

I thought this was a Texas thing as I've heard that carry in the shows in Arizona is routine so I sent an email to the promoter of shows in Idaho, Montana, and Utah (I think its the same org). He said "no way".

Some time back I grumbled about this and was told it was an insureability issue and that promoters couldn't get any insurance if they allowed CHL's to carry therefore, no shows. I think the poster added that we should "chose our battles and this one isn't worth it". NMO
Last edited by fulano on Sun May 22, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

fulano wrote:Well, you won't be going to many guns shows
:iagree:
I have been to several "The real Gun Shows" as well as "High Caliber Gun Shows" at both Pasadena and George R Brown, they are all posted 30.06
I think most people on this board agree that it is not lawful, however until there is a test case, there is no way to know for sure.

So you either disarm or don't go, or be a test case - oh and the only way to be a test case would be to be spotted, WITHOUT intentionally unconcealing your weapon, and you would have to be arrested and go the distance. Having an officer say "get out" is not a test case, it could just be that the officer either doesn't agree with the posting, or doesn't want to waste time arresting you for this minor issue
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

drinks wrote:I went to a small gun show at Cleveland, yesterday.
I asked the cop there if he knew the sign was not lawful on a city owned building, he said sure it was.
I find it unproductive to argue with people that don't know what they're talking about including LEO. Most of the time they will not take the time to find out the real facts and often remain convinced they' are right even if they learn them. All the gun shows I've attended had the signs or had notification the all weapons had to be checked at the door, locked with a tie wrap and ammo left to be picked up upon exiting. Does it make sense? No. Is it worth the hassle fighting it? Not to me.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
drinks

Post by drinks »

Does anyone have a good email address for the real gun show co?
It seems they are hiding it, I suppose so nasty people like me cannot send them nasty e mails calling them a bunch of criminals and second amendment violators.

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mike1951 »

Tried this one from their website? therealgunshow@swbell.net
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
drinks

Post by drinks »

That is not a good address, it comes back as undeliverable.
I think they are just a bunch of cowards.

Topic author
drinks

Post by drinks »

Guess what, trying to e mail them sent me to a site with show dates, trying to close out the site revealed that it had locked up my computer and to get rid of the trash, I had to shut down and restart.
So, they are not just a bunch of crooks but they even mess with computers.
Oh,me!

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

They're not breaking any law by posting a 30.06 sign on publicly owned property. The law just says it's an "exception to the application" of 30.06 if it's posted on property owned by a government entity. They can post it if they want, it just may not be legally enforceable.

You can choose to carry past it if you desire. As others have said most if not all gun shows are posted. It certainly sounds plausible to me that the insurance company may require it since they all have it.

Brian

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

BrianSW99 wrote:They're not breaking any law by posting a 30.06 sign on publicly owned property. The law just says it's an "exception to the application" of 30.06 if it's posted on property owned by a government entity. They can post it if they want, it just may not be legally enforceable.

You can choose to carry past it if you desire. As others have said most if not all gun shows are posted. It certainly sounds plausible to me that the insurance company may require it since they all have it.

Brian
I've heard this stated on numerous occasions, but I would really like to see an insurance contract that specifies 30.06 notice on property where the notice is invalid... I really have trouble believing that an insurance company contract specifies the exact notice. I understand that they could require the promoter to prohibit loaded firearms, but there would be no force of criminal law behind this. Also for a city owned venue, for an insurance contract to require a specific notice that was not "valid" on a city owned facility, seems like it might be unenforceable even civilly, because it is "contrary to public policy". A contract provision is generally invalid if it is "contrary to public policy".
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

We may never know for sure unless someone happens to personally know one of the gun show promoters. I suspect that if they do have a provision requiring them to prohibit guns, they probably don't have separate contracts for show on public property as opposed to private. But, I really have no knowledge of insurance matters, especially commercial.

My main point though was that it was not illegal for the promotor to post the sign as the OP seems to think.

Brian

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

The most direct answer I've gotten on this was from James Dark, past Executive Director of the TSRA.

In past years, TSRA held a gunshow in conjunction with their annual meeting.

According to Mr. Dark, TSRA was required to post 30.06 for the show to obtain insurance covering the show.

i don't consider the TSRA to be anti Second Amendment.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

According to the website's WHOIS info:

Administrative Contact , Technical Contact :
Real Gun Show
abare33@swbell.net
Box 41364
Houston, TX 77241-1364
US
Phone: 713-724-8881

Record expires on 22-Feb-2016
Record created on 14-Dec-2008
Database last updated on 23-Jul-2010

EDIT: a bit of Googling and his name is Arthur Behrends
Last edited by Thomas on Sun May 22, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Mike1951 wrote:The most direct answer I've gotten on this was from James Dark, past Executive Director of the TSRA.

In past years, TSRA held a gunshow in conjunction with their annual meeting.

According to Mr. Dark, TSRA was required to post 30.06 for the show to obtain insurance covering the show.

i don't consider the TSRA to be anti Second Amendment.
I don't doubt this, but was it a government owned venue, and was Texas Penal Code 30.06 specifically referenced in the insurance contract?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”