Carryng a loaded rifle in your vehicle.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
age_ranger
Posts in topic: 1

Carryng a loaded rifle in your vehicle.

Post by age_ranger »

I know all about assumptions and what happens when you assume things, so I'll ask the knowledgeable people here about this.

If I load my AR and store it in an accessible place in my vehicle, is it legal? I don't envision myself doing so, but hypothetically, if I were to do so, would I be legal to do so with a valid CHL or does that simply cover handguns? Kinda coming from left field on this, i know, but I'd rather ask than not know.

What if my AR is stored in the trunk or storage space and is loaded? Am I asking for trouble? Granted, If I abide by the laws and act correctly, I'll probably never be stopped and/or asked about weapons in the vehicle. Although sometimes I think........."Holy cow, would they flip if they knew what I'm carrying in here today!" Anyway, just wondering.

Does anyone carry a rifle/scattergun in their vehicle that's not for work?
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

GlockenHammer

Post by GlockenHammer »

CHL has no bearing on rifle carry. Loaded or not, conealed or not, you're welcome to have it in your vehicle. Welcome to Texas.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

The only possible sticking point about long guns would be a run-in with a TP&WD ranger, if he wanted to accuse you of hunting out of season/without a license/jacklighting/poaching/etc.

I don't hunt, but hopefully some who are knowledgeable about Texas hunting regs will chime in.

Kevin

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 7

Post by txinvestigator »

Also run a search here. There have been a couple of interesting convserations about this topic. ;-)
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

kauboy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by kauboy »

Don't worry about it Age. In our great state you can walk down the street with a loaded long gun on your person without any kind of license whatsoever. I personally wouldn't recommend it, for obvious reasons, but that doesn't make it any less legal.
"People should not be afraid of their Governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I have to point out that PC §46.03, Places Weapons Prohibited, applies to long guns and handguns. A couple of them are outdoors and you could conceivable run afoul of them while driving.

- Jim

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

One of our CHL instructors, to reinforce the point that a handgun is a defensive weapon not an offensive weapon, showed us his "trunk gun": a well-used but reliable AK-47, something he doesn't mind taking the abuse of living in his trunk. Presumably, in case of a major HTF condition, he could engage the AK. I just don't know about the logic or practicality of that choice. Seems to me the likelihood of my having to go for the AK in the trunk would be slim to none--considering I'm looking to avoid trouble, not wade into it--and there would no doubt be several high-priced lawyers in the trunk with that AK...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Texasdoc

Post by Texasdoc »

I am a wildlife biologist, and I carry a rifle with my all the time and have never had a problem with Parks & Wildlife Game wardens . as long you have it out of site then your go to go. I say out of sight for the reason of having folks break in your truck and take it.

That's the main reason you no longer see ranches and Farmers with a gun in a rack in the back window.

I carry mine in a big sky rack that mounts flush to the roof of my 90 Suburban I carry it year round and like I said I have had no problems.

300shooter
Shoot more,then Reload and Shoot somemore. Image

http://www.texasguntalk.com

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Skiprr wrote:One of our CHL instructors, to reinforce the point that a handgun is a defensive weapon not an offensive weapon, showed us his "trunk gun": a well-used but reliable AK-47, something he doesn't mind taking the abuse of living in his trunk. Presumably, in case of a major HTF condition, he could engage the AK. I just don't know about the logic or practicality of that choice. Seems to me the likelihood of my having to go for the AK in the trunk would be slim to none--considering I'm looking to avoid trouble, not wade into it--and there would no doubt be several high-priced lawyers in the trunk with that AK...
"The Tyler courthouse shootout refers to a February 24, 2005, incident in which David Hernandez Arroyo Sr. opened fire on his ex-wife and son in front of the Smith County Courthouse in Tyler, Texas, then engaged law enforcement officers in a shootout. Mirabel Estrada, his ex-wife, was killed at the scene, as was Mark Allen Wilson, a downtown resident who attempted to intervene.

A local resident Mark Allen Wilson was returning to his nearby apartment when the shooting began. Wilson, who held a Texas concealed handgun permit, is believed to have responded to seeing Arroyo shoot his wife by drawing his own weapon, a Colt .45 caliber pistol and approaching. Arroyo was already engaged in a heated gun battle with sheriff's deputies and Tyler police officers and apparently did not see Wilson.

Wilson fired one round at Arroyo, causing him to stumble. A witness saw the round strike Arroyo and saw "white puffs of powder-like substance" come from Arroyo's clothing. This appeared to be the first time Arroyo was hit or injured during his attack on the courthouse. Wilson then took cover behind Arroyo's truck.

As Arroyo approached, Wilson stood up and fired again at Arroyo over the truck, hitting him; however, Arroyo was wearing a bulletproof vest, and Wilson's shots did not disable him. Arroyo turned and fired at least one shot at Wilson. He faltered and disappeared from view behind the truck, where Arroyo fired at him three times, killing him.
"

Had wilson had even an M1 carbine, he would have ended it right there and lived.
*CHL Instructor*

kauboy

Post by kauboy »

A .223 round can effectively penetrate a Kevlar vest with little difficulty. I'd recommend you at least have that new AR of yours in your vehicle, just in case. ;-)

Remember:
Pistols are pistols, but a rifle, is a rifle. :cool:

rastalavista

Post by rastalavista »

LEOs

what's your opinion on the fnh Five-SeveN?

the round might have pierced the armor? Yes/No?

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

When I travel I carry a short Mini 14 with a folder. I sometimes carry a Remington 870 with a folder.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

rastalavista wrote:LEOs

Not the civilian ammunition. Its more like a .17 HMR. It does have the velocity to perhaps penetrate level 2, Arroyo was wearing much more.
*CHL Instructor*

kauboy

Post by kauboy »

txinvestigator wrote:
rastalavista wrote:LEOs

Not the civilian ammunition. Its more like a .17 HMR. It does have the velocity to perhaps penetrate level 2, Arroyo was wearing much more.
Yeah, only the military grade stuff can penetrate Kevlar effectively. They can even blow a hole through a Kevlar helmet. Its supposed to be a very nice gun, but I just can't justify the cost of ammunition to ever want one for a carry weapon. Now for a fun gun, thats a different story ;-)

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stevie_d_64 »

The ole saying:

"Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

But...I'd fall on the side of "slightly over-doing it" in this regard...

With the amount of $$$$ that are invested in rifles like these, these days...I'd just get sick if the vehicle was stolen...I could almost part with the vehicle...But the rifle or firearm is like my dog...It's an unconditional relationship...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”