Maiden name on class documents, now married.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
2up1down
Posts in topic: 3

Maiden name on class documents, now married.

Post by 2up1down »

When my wife took her class a couple of months ago, we were not married yet. All of the documents from class are in her maiden name, but her new TDL is in her married name. Anything special to do? or will the legal name change at DPS for her DL and SSN card be sufficient? Does she need to resign the photo holder or add her married name to all of the documents?
thanks in advance.
Become a Student of the Law we live under and proficient in the protection of yourself: so you may protect your Family, State and way of Live. Awareness is your first defense, avoidance your first tactic. If engagement is forced, Stop when the threat is gone.

C-dub

Re: Maiden name on class documents, now married.

Post by C-dub »

I think she just needs to provide a copy of the marriage certificate and TxDL and treat it like an address change for the CHL. There should be info for this scenario on the DPS website.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MoJo »

She needs to file a change of name form with DPS.

edit: you didn't say if she has sent her application to DPS yet.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I found this. Go about half way down the page to the Paper Renewal Application Documentation section.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... icInfo.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
2up1down

Post by 2up1down »

I humbly apologize, With all of the 'Wedding' stuff, we just now are preparing to send the packet in and complete the online app. We have used her married name on the online app, but her paperwork is under her maiden name. Nothing has been sent in yet. Thanks for your patience and guidance.
Become a Student of the Law we live under and proficient in the protection of yourself: so you may protect your Family, State and way of Live. Awareness is your first defense, avoidance your first tactic. If engagement is forced, Stop when the threat is gone.

Smallestbodyman

Post by Smallestbodyman »

I would just write a letter stating that since her class y'all have gotten married. And make sure they know witch name she'll be using. It'll be no big deal they understand and a letter telling them let's them know with out having to look into it on their own and trying to figure it out and keeps it from looking like your hidding something. She'll be good to go and it seams wait time will be shoRt with doing an online app.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Smallestbodyman wrote:I would just write a letter stating that since her class y'all have gotten married. And make sure they know witch name she'll be using. It'll be no big deal they understand and a letter telling them let's them know with out having to look into it on their own and trying to figure it out and keeps it from looking like your hidding something. She'll be good to go and it seams wait time will be shoRt with doing an online app.
:iagree: And include a copy of the marriage certificate and DL with married name.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

2up1down wrote:I humbly apologize, With all of the 'Wedding' stuff, we just now are preparing to send the packet in and complete the online app. We have used her married name on the online app, but her paperwork is under her maiden name. Nothing has been sent in yet. Thanks for your patience and guidance.
The easist way to handle this is to go back to your CHL instructor and get new paperwork with her new name.

If that is not possible, then you will need to download a new signature card (photo holder) here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Send it in with the application paperwork and proof of the name change. (Marriage certificate and driver's license)
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
2up1down

Post by 2up1down »

Great Thanks to all who replied with advice. I spoke to two different "Techs" at DPS and received two faulty answers today.
My own thought was that at minimal DPS would need her new signature and a simple explanation with proof of her marriage status and name change. Thank you all, especially Crossfire for once again coming to the rescue of us newbies. :txflag:

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

I thought based on the title that there was another woman on board and came to say hello.

Please tell your wife that we'd love to have her here as well!

Congratulations on the wedding! May your marriage be poor in misfortune and rich in blessings!
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

High Calibre Hottie

Post by High Calibre Hottie »

If you took the class under your maiden name then filed your application under your married name...

This is what WORKS! 34 days from mailing app to PIH.

My Husband spoke to 3 different Techs at DPS, with the third one actually saying she had handled this before.

ALL class documents including photo holder and finger prints were under my maiden name.

DPS said to simply use "White out correction tape" over all of the maiden name entries including signature and write in my married name and new signature.

Send a copy of our Marriage License and a simple note stating that we were married after the class.

We DID NOT send a copy of my new TDL or SSN Card. (Married name on each)

No change of name, address or additional forms were necessary.

Thanks to all here, wanted to post this for the "next time around".

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”