Company CHL Waiver for co. Vehicle carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ransom82
Posts in topic: 1

Company CHL Waiver for co. Vehicle carry?

Post by ransom82 »

Does anyone know of a waiver in use or a form used for employers to allow employees to carry concealed in company vehicles? We are trying to figure out a way to release the company of liability do we can carry when we are driving the pipeline. I, along with about 20 other guys are constantly out on the road, and in the middle of nowhere by ourselves many times. I was confronted by a couple of illegals around laredo a few months ago and all i had was a knife and a machete. It worked, but it could have been a lot worse.

Has anyone heard of any kind of form like this?

Thanks, Trey
July 10, 2010 - CHL course
July 12, 2010 - mailed packet
July 16, 2010 - packet returned for address mistake
July 29, 2010 - waiting on background check
August 6, 2010 - background check complete WOOHOO
August 11, 2010 - CHL MAILED!!! alright alright
August 13, 2010 Plastic in hand!

Beiruty

Re: Company CHL Waiver for co. Vehicle carry?

Post by Beiruty »

did you pull a machete on the illegals?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

The best is when the company doesn't have a policy that prohibits CHL and you don't need a waiver. If the policy prohibits weapons in general, then a machete is a violation as much as gun. If it prohibits firearms, I would try to get a letter from someone high enough saying something like "Ameer is exempt from policy 9.357 while performing pipeline inspection." It's a long shot but I think the best chance of getting a loophole.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

cnovel
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cnovel »

do you work for Enterprise ? I know for certain before lewis sold it to them a guy getting robbed stripped and his COMPANY truck taken,,I am in the area,,and there is plenty of things going on around there,,,lots of stories but no time,,,lock and load in the area,when out alone,,i usually have an AR ,,,most groups i encounter are harmless,,,

cnovel
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cnovel »

Oh,,if you saw two,,there was twenty more in the brush,,on a caliche road at night,,one guy,,,i slow down,,then 20 out of both sides of road,,you can not see,,,be careful out there

jamisjockey

Post by jamisjockey »

I would think that the company should have a legal department that would hash out the details of a waiver holding the company harmless from your use or misuse of a weapon in the company vehicle. If not, you might be able to get a lawyer to create one for a small fee.

whodat1

Post by whodat1 »

I am in the same situation. I work from an office comprised of field engineers who spend 90% of their time on the road. Each of us has a company vehicle that is owned by a leasing company, but registered to our individual names. I am not shown as the owner of the vehicle, but as the person in control of the vehicle.

Luckily I have a pro-gun manager, but he has made it clear (off the record) that he can't take a side on the issue or even speak to employees about it (per corporation orders). Our corporation is world wide and is not based in Texas, so there is no clear cut law that applies to all employees. What my manager told me (again, off the record) is to read my employee handbook, travel regulations and any corporate publications concerning employee actions very thoroughly. He said that if it is not prohibited then state law would be my guiding action. Since very few, as a total percentage, of the corporation's employees have company vehicles, the regulations on these are sparse. The boss made it plain that his stand is; research it and 'Don't ask, Don't tell".

Weapons of any sort are prohibited on company property, so obviously we cane not bring them into the office while we are there. But the company vehicles are owned by a leasing company, paid for by the corporation and registered to the individuals. This is a sort of gray area where you have to make your own judgment call. Since the travel regulations do not mention handguns and Texas law is written so that not only in vehicles owned, but in a vehicle under ones control, can one lawfully carry a handgun, I go with the thought that I can legally carry a handgun in my company vehicle.

I know that this is very thin ice I'm skating on and the company could decide that the vehicle is indeed company property resulting in company action against me, but I think that legally, I can carry a handgun in my company vehicle. To the OP i suggest that you read all company/corporate literature you can on your travel policies and make your own decision. If you do bring it to your boss, he may be forced to play it safe and tell you it is forbidden even if this is not strictly true. YMMV :headscratch
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member

dicion

Post by dicion »

whodat1 wrote:I am in the same situation. I work from an office comprised of field engineers who spend 90% of their time on the road. Each of us has a company vehicle that is owned by a leasing company, but registered to our individual names. I am not shown as the owner of the vehicle, but as the person in control of the vehicle.

Luckily I have a pro-gun manager, but he has made it clear (off the record) that he can't take a side on the issue or even speak to employees about it (per corporation orders). Our corporation is world wide and is not based in Texas, so there is no clear cut law that applies to all employees. What my manager told me (again, off the record) is to read my employee handbook, travel regulations and any corporate publications concerning employee actions very thoroughly. He said that if it is not prohibited then state law would be my guiding action. Since very few, as a total percentage, of the corporation's employees have company vehicles, the regulations on these are sparse. The boss made it plain that his stand is; research it and 'Don't ask, Don't tell".

Weapons of any sort are prohibited on company property, so obviously we cane not bring them into the office while we are there. But the company vehicles are owned by a leasing company, paid for by the corporation and registered to the individuals. This is a sort of gray area where you have to make your own judgment call. Since the travel regulations do not mention handguns and Texas law is written so that not only in vehicles owned, but in a vehicle under ones control, can one lawfully carry a handgun, I go with the thought that I can legally carry a handgun in my company vehicle.

I know that this is very thin ice I'm skating on and the company could decide that the vehicle is indeed company property resulting in company action against me, but I think that legally, I can carry a handgun in my company vehicle. To the OP i suggest that you read all company/corporate literature you can on your travel policies and make your own decision. If you do bring it to your boss, he may be forced to play it safe and tell you it is forbidden even if this is not strictly true. YMMV :headscratch
:iagree:

Don't ask, don't tell.

Bob in Big D

Post by Bob in Big D »

If you are out on Company business and shoot someone, good shoot or not, the op lawyer will probably look at the deep pockets of your Company and bring them into any lawsuite. Especially if your Company has no rules prohibiting firarms in the workplace. JMHO.
Gun Control Means Using Two Hands!

Barbi Q

Post by Barbi Q »

Bob in Big D wrote:If you are out on Company business and shoot someone, good shoot or not, the op lawyer will probably look at the deep pockets of your Company and bring them into any lawsuite. Especially if your Company has no rules prohibiting firarms in the workplace. JMHO.
Please name the last ten cases in Texas where this happened.

I'll even accept one "lawsuite" if it happened after the change to civil immunity and the "op lawyer" won.
Last edited by Barbi Q on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If anyone is raped, beaten or murdered on a college campus from this day forward
The senators who blocked SB 354 from being considered on 4/7/11 and
The members of the house calendar committee who haven't scheduled HB 750
Have the victims' blood on their hands.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

cnovel wrote:Oh,,if you saw two,,there was twenty more in the brush,,on a caliche road at night,,one guy,,,i slow down,,then 20 out of both sides of road,,you can not see,,,be careful out there
Did you know that your comma-key is stuck?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

flechero

Post by flechero »

Bob in Big D wrote:If you are out on Company business and shoot someone, good shoot or not, the op lawyer will probably look at the deep pockets of your Company and bring them into any lawsuite. Especially if your Company has no rules prohibiting firarms in the workplace. JMHO.
Still beats the tar out of being dead!

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

How about a different approach? Request armed security when going to these remote areas. Tell the boss with the flood of violence coming across the border that going to these remote areas is liken to unsafe working conditions. Present any accounts you can get of confrontations taking place in and about the remote areas you must go. Be factual with the information you present. When they say no, simply ask if there are any OSHA requirements to provide a safe working condition.

Just my two cents.......
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”