new to CC...how to Motorcycle carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Tightwad
Posts in topic: 5

new to CC...how to Motorcycle carry?

Post by Tightwad »

Hello…I am new to this forum, and to concealed carry as well. I have always wanted to take the course, but never really pursued it until a church group got together and hired an instructor. I found out after I agreed to it that it was the Utah course (fitting as I moved here from Utah)…so don’t hate me for having a Utah CWP instead of a Texas CHL please! I received my CWP in July, but just purchased my first carry weapon last week.

I am a father of 4, married 13 years, and have never been concerned for my safety. My inspiration for getting the CWP was more around my second amendment rights, with the “what if” a distant second concern. My Father In Law is a 20 year police veteran who now teaches Criminal Justice…so guns are not foreign to my wife, but she (and he) questions the need to CC given our normal lifestyle. She grew up with guns in the house, knew they were there, and is concerned our kids will have the same thoughts she had growing up…teenage girls are emotional wrecks! While she is ok (I guess) with my plan to CC, I have to be very thorough about my safety plans, discussions with the kids (ranging from 2 – 12 years), etc.

I want to use my CWP and carry when possible, but I am not sure how to accomplish it. I ride a Honda VFR…Sport Touring bike…as my commuter to/from work. Given that I wear full gear all the time, I can’t figure out how to incorporate CC…I am not comfortable having a gun on my body in the case of an accident…not because I fear it discharging (intended CC weapon is an XD9SC, so very safe from impact), but rather because they cause bruising! I do have luggage on my bike…either tank bag or trunk depending on my setup. I can transport my CC weapon there, but then what?

My other concern is dress code…how do I conceal a weapon at work given a business casual (more on the dressy side, slacks and button up shirts) dress code? I could use some good suggestions for where to carry (is ankle an option I should look at) as well as how to secure it. If it matters, I am 5’8”, 180 lbs. I already find pants tend to be tight in the thigh area, so the Smart Carry option would just make me look bloated I think, plus sitting down would be uncomfortable. I am leaning towards more of a 4-5 oclock carry, but wherever is most comfortable will be the winner in the end.
Last edited by Tightwad on Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: new to CC...hwo to Motorcycle carry?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Tightwad wrote:Hello…I am new to this forum, and to concealed carry as well. I have always wanted to take the course, but never really pursued it until a church group got together and hired an instructor. I found out after I agreed to it that it was the Utah course (fitting as I moved here from Utah)…so don’t hate me for having a Utah CWP instead of a Texas CHL please! I received my CWP in July, but just purchased my first carry weapon last week.
Welcome to the forum, Tightwad. Your kids call you that? :smilelol5:

I don't hate you for getting the CFP. I have one myself. But do get the CHL because it is the right thing to do. There's no harm in having both.
Tightwad wrote:I am a father of 4, married 13 years, and have never been concerned for my safety. My inspiration for getting the CWP was more around my second amendment rights, with the “what if” a distant second concern. My Father In Law is a 20 year police veteran who now teaches Criminal Justice…so guns are not foreign to my wife, but she (and he) questions the need to CC given our normal lifestyle. She grew up with guns in the house, knew they were there, and is concerned our kids will have the same thoughts she had growing up…teenage girls are emotional wrecks! While she is ok (I guess) with my plan to CC, I have to be very thorough about my safety plans, discussions with the kids (ranging from 2 – 12 years), etc.
Do either your FIL or wife question the need to wear seatbelts or have a fire extinguisher in the house? You don't use these things because you expect trouble. You just do them to be prepared for it in the unlikely event that it happens.
Tightwad wrote:I want to use my CWP and carry when possible, but I am not sure how to accomplish it. I ride a Honda VFR…Sport Touring bike…as my commuter to/from work. Given that I wear full gear all the time, I can’t figure out how to incorporate CC…I am not comfortable having a gun on my body in the case of an accident…not because I fear it discharging (intended CC weapon is an XD9SC, so very safe from impact), but rather because they cause bruising! I do have luggage on my bike…either tank bag or trunk depending on my setup. I can transport my CC weapon there, but then what?
A fannypack, Safepacker, or Fatboy S "man bag" with a gun inside of them will fit in your tank bag. When you get off the bike, put the fannypack (Safepacker, etc.) on. Put them back in the tank bag when you leave.
Tightwad wrote:My other concern is dress code…how do I conceal a weapon at work given a business casual (more on the dressy side, slacks and button up shirts) dress code? I could use some good suggestions for where to carry (is ankle an option I should look at) as well as how to secure it. If it matters, I am 5’8”, 180 lbs. I already find pants tend to be tight in the thigh area, so the Smart Carry option would just make me look bloated I think, plus sitting down would be uncomfortable. I am leaning towards more of a 4-5 oclock carry, but wherever is most comfortable will be the winner in the end.
There are lots of good "tuckable" holsters which will let you carry inside the waistband with your shirt tucked in. If your gun choice and holster choice are good, the gun will disappear from view, and only you will know you have it. When I have to dress in business casual, I slip a lightweight .357 snubnose revolver in my pants pocket, and it conceals very well. OTH, one of the above alternative carry methods may well meet your needs. Also, someone makes a "day planner" notebook that zips up, which is actually a means of hiding and carrying a gun.

Hope that helps.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

karder
Posts in topic: 1

Re: new to CC...how to Motorcycle carry?

Post by karder »

:iagree: What TAM said. For what it is worth, I ride a motorcycle daily and I carry always. I just use an IWB holster and I have never had a problem. I understand the concern of injuries caused during a crash, so if that is a worry for you, there are a number of good packs which will work really well and allow you to carry the gun off your body. Congratulations on your CCW.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Topic author
Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

Yes, my kids call me "Tightwad"...4 kids, 1 income, gotta be tight! Actually I use that handle because I have been using it on Forums starting with http://www.slickdeals.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; some 8 years ago...and it is easier than remembering a new one for each forum I may join!

Not having a Texas CHL now is strictly due to the cost...i already laid out more than the budget allowed for the Utah one, and since my wife isn't the hugest fan, discretionary spending is limited in this department. I would rather spend the Texas money on ammo for range time!

I was surprised to discover just how expensive range time is! I grew up in Arizona, went shooting on Public land for free...so paying $12+ an hour feels like highway robbery, plus in many cases you have to use ammo they provide (at a markup)...I really am a tightwad, although i try to quell that urge now and then.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Fanny Packs..this is an option, but one I am not a fan of because I hold some sort of vanity that I am NOT really a nerd...but I actually am somewhat... Actually the bigger reason i wouldn't use a fanny pack for daily use is because it only solves the issue from the parking garage to my desk...and that isn't the part I am struggling with. The Fanny Pack may be perfect for my annual motorcycle tour however, because then it is realistic that I would use one for Wallat, keys, etc anyway, so it wouldn't feel out of place, and would be useful.

As far as my FIL and Wife regarding seatbelts and fire extinguishers...they would answer with "Do you wear a racing harness, fire suit, helmet, and HANS device when you drive your SUV?" I understand the insurance aspect, and certainly don't disagree, but they feel (and I agree to an extent) that people overuse that as a rationale for CC. I highly doubt I will ever in my life have the need to prevent a felony from occurring to me or a third party that will require the use of my weapon. I would say the % is very small that this happens to anyone who doesn't spend time in high-crime areas/activities. I choose to explain I am exercising my second amendment rights (use em or lose em), and then back that up with "I might as well have it with me, doesn't do any good locked up at home". I will say I am amazed at how many people have weapons in their house for protection, but have them locked, with the ammo in a separate place also locked.

I will look more into tuckable holsters...hopefully try some out to see how they fit...any good suggestions for gun stores in the Frisco area that have a selection?

skub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by skub »

karder wrote::iagree: What TAM said. For what it is worth, I ride a motorcycle daily and I carry always. I just use an IWB holster and I have never had a problem. I understand the concern of injuries caused during a crash, so if that is a worry for you, there are a number of good packs which will work really well and allow you to carry the gun off your body. Congratulations on your CCW.
:iagree: Ditto for me.
Theologue at large
5th Generation Texan
CHL 05/04

skub

Post by skub »

Tightwad wrote:As far as my FIL and Wife regarding seatbelts and fire extinguishers...they would answer with "Do you wear a racing harness, fire suit, helmet, and HANS device when you drive your SUV?"
The answer to that is, "No. But the analogy breaks down. That is what race car drivers do, because they are going into a situation where there is a significant risk of needing that gear, much like a police unit making a drug raid or serving a high-risk warrant, who go in armed with tactical weapons, body armor, and other assault gear. I am talking about carrying in the unlikely event that I might encounter a situation where I need it."
Theologue at large
5th Generation Texan
CHL 05/04

ex_dsmr

Post by ex_dsmr »

I commute year round on my bike.
Having had more than a few brushes with some unsavory people is partially why ive decided to obtain my CHL. Ive literally had shady looking people walk up to me while im stopped at a traffic light with a strange grin. Every time thus far theyve stopped short and said "nice bike", then did an about face and kept walking. What happens if one time they mean to do me harm? You cant exactly "lock the doors" on a bike.

All of that being said, id opt for carry in either a tank bag or IWB.
Going down is going to hurt no matter what.
For commuting ill have to stick to IWB carry on the bike as ive got no place to remove my pistol from the tank bag and place it on my hip.
Tank bag carry IMO would be the most beneficial as there is less interference with gear and its placed in a more accessable position (directly in front of you).

skub

Post by skub »

I think you are missing a prime opportunity here. You need TWO guns - one in a tank bag, and one IWB. :thumbs2:

If that means you have to go buy another, well...
Theologue at large
5th Generation Texan
CHL 05/04

TxFig

Post by TxFig »

Tightwad wrote:I am a father of 4, married 13 years, and have never been concerned for my safety. My inspiration for getting the CWP was more around my second amendment rights, with the “what if” a distant second concern. My Father In Law is a 20 year police veteran who now teaches Criminal Justice…so guns are not foreign to my wife, but she (and he) questions the need to CC given our normal lifestyle. She grew up with guns in the house, knew they were there, and is concerned our kids will have the same thoughts she had growing up…teenage girls are emotional wrecks! While she is ok (I guess) with my plan to CC, I have to be very thorough about my safety plans, discussions with the kids (ranging from 2 – 12 years), etc.
I'll answer this in 2 veins.

First, I have been CPR certified since 1979 (my senior year of high school). I did not became CPR certified because I expected to have to use it, and certainly not because I wanted to have to use it. I got it because if I needed it, nothing else would do.
In the 31 years since I got it, I have to had to use it twice.

The exact same holds true for carrying a firearm. I do not expect to use it. I certainly don't go looking for times to use it.
But if the situation ever arises that I DO need to use it - nothing else will do.

The second reason is because I am (usually) a sheep dog. It's my nature. As evidenced by my CPR certification when I was still a senior in high school.

Don't know what this means? Read this: http://www.mwkworks.com/onsheepwolvesandsheepdogs.html

I want to use my CWP and carry when possible, but I am not sure how to accomplish it. I ride a Honda VFR…Sport Touring bike…as my commuter to/from work. Given that I wear full gear all the time, I can’t figure out how to incorporate CC…I am not comfortable having a gun on my body in the case of an accident…not because I fear it discharging (intended CC weapon is an XD9SC, so very safe from impact), but rather because they cause bruising!
As someone else said, accidents cause bruising. The gun is the least of your worries.

PS: I also ride a bike to work every day. I was involved in a head-on collision (car:my bike) several years ago that I was lucky to survive. I, more than most, understand what a motorcycle wreck is all about....

Carry such that it is appropriate for where you work; ignore the "bike" aspect.

My other concern is dress code…how do I conceal a weapon at work given a business casual (more on the dressy side, slacks and button up shirts) dress code? I could use some good suggestions for where to carry (is ankle an option I should look at) as well as how to secure it. If it matters, I am 5’8”, 180 lbs. I already find pants tend to be tight in the thigh area, so the Smart Carry option would just make me look bloated I think, plus sitting down would be uncomfortable. I am leaning towards more of a 4-5 oclock carry, but wherever is most comfortable will be the winner in the end.
Based on your work dress, you will almost certainly need a IWB holster. Mine is a "Supertuck" from Crossbreed (http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/" on ... urn false;). Watch the video in that link.... There are other holster manufactures that I am sure others will recommend...

As to what position to carry - it will become a personal preference based on you. I carry in the 4 o'clock position - it's the most comfortable that still has a decent degree of keeping it accessible -- for me.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Tightwad wrote:As far as my FIL and Wife regarding seatbelts and fire extinguishers...they would answer with "Do you wear a racing harness, fire suit, helmet, and HANS device when you drive your SUV?" I understand the insurance aspect, and certainly don't disagree, but they feel (and I agree to an extent) that people overuse that as a rationale for CC. I highly doubt I will ever in my life have the need to prevent a felony from occurring to me or a third party that will require the use of my weapon. I would say the % is very small that this happens to anyone who doesn't spend time in high-crime areas/activities. I choose to explain I am exercising my second amendment rights (use em or lose em), and then back that up with "I might as well have it with me, doesn't do any good locked up at home". I will say I am amazed at how many people have weapons in their house for protection, but have them locked, with the ammo in a separate place also locked.

I will look more into tuckable holsters...hopefully try some out to see how they fit...any good suggestions for gun stores in the Frisco area that have a selection?
To each his own. I can only say, "guess right, or carry 24/7." Like I said, I don't expect trouble either, but I am prepared for it. That's not paranoia. That's just being prepared. I haven't been involved in a vehicular impact as a driver or passenger in at least 15 years. And I drive carefully and courteously. I haven't had a moving violation ticket since Christmas Eve of 1999, but I'll be putting on my seatbelt when I leave the house this afternoon, in recognition that someone else out there may not be as cautious behind the wheel of their vehicle, as I am behind the wheel of my own. That's not being paranoid. It's being prepared. Same thing.

Like you, I avoid "high crime" areas too. I rarely drink, and I don't hang out in bars or go clubbing. I'm a fat, white-haired, 58 year old suburbanite. But living and working in suburbia is no guarantee that trouble can't find you. The 2nd Amendment arguments are all well and good, and they are certainly legitimate answers to the question of why you carry. But denying that trouble will ever find you sounds great.... ....until trouble actually does find you. Then, in retrospect, it doesn't sound nearly as good.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

All good comments and discussion so far! I appreciate the input on the motorcycle carry especially. I to received CPR training…first in Boy Scouts and then again as part of Life Guard training. I wasn’t much of a Boy Scout, and never actually had a lifeguard job, but the training stuck and I have had the opportunity to use that training on more than one occasion as well, and was grateful I knew what to do!

I wear my seatbelt everytime I get in the car as well…never been saved by it, but I wear it. The same is true of my motorcycle gear….and last year when I did have an accident I suffered only a shoulder injury due to the impact…and my gear took the rest of the damage.

My FIL does not discourage gun use, he was just cautionary to someone else about THEM needing to carry a gun. It was part of more advise given when asked about what caliber to carry…Husband wanted the wife to go 10mm, FIL suggested she try different calibers and find what worked…then asked why she felt the need to carry. I truly think the concern was more that she would get the license, and not the training (or not keep up with it at least), and not really be in a better spot if something did happen.

The CrossBreed is one holster I have my eyes on, watched some YouTube comparisons as well. Not transferring the gun is a big deal to me, as I don’t want unknown eyes in a very busy garage to see it flashing around. I wear riding pants and jacket, so it would stay covered until I reached my office if I carry IWB…I will have to try it and see if it works with my riding position.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Although I ride a cruiser, I do ride every day. I also carry now in 1 of 3 ways. Prefered is IWB but also use pocket carry of a P3AT or the newest but least comfortable (only because I'm not used to it yet) is ankle carry of an XD9SC. But in all cases I carry 24/7

One of my riding buddies has a tank bag but it creates a delima when he has to take it out and holster it. If I am with him I usually block him from view but dont kno what he does when no one is around.

I have gone down before while carrying and think it saved me some road rash as I slid on it instead of my back side. If you go down its gonna hurt no matter what you do so that should be a non-issue or at least a minimum issue.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Cobra Medic

Post by Cobra Medic »

A magnetic tank bag is one option. I also saw one with fastex buckles. That gives you a way to carry gun, phone, and any valuables (GPS, RADAR detector) you don't want to leave on the bike when you go into a restaurant, etc.
This will only hurt a little. What comes next, more so.

Topic author
Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

I have various sized tank bags...4 of them in fact...but I generally use my hard mounted trunk since I sometimes have to carry a laptop to/from work...so I leave the tankbags for touring purposes.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”