What did you NOT like about your Concealed Carry class?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
badgerw
Posts in topic: 2

What did you NOT like about your Concealed Carry class?

Post by badgerw »

I'm doing some informal market research.

When you took your concealed handgun class, what did you NOT like about it? What could have been done better?

Was the location comfortable? The seats? Refreshments?

Was the instructor's style of presentation suitable? Were visual aids used? Was a course outline provided? Material for taking notes?

Bill

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 10

Re: What did you NOT like about your Concealed Carry class?

Post by txinvestigator »

badgerw wrote:I'm doing some informal market research.

When you took your concealed handgun class, what did you NOT like about it? What could have been done better?

Was the location comfortable? The seats? Refreshments?

Was the instructor's style of presentation suitable? Were visual aids used? Was a course outline provided? Material for taking notes?

Bill
Good post. I am interested also.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I think this could be very helpful to instructors.

PLEASE - no names, company names, locations.

Thanks,
Chas.

rattfink1

Post by rattfink1 »

The know-it-alls in the class. Most of which knew nothing. I think my instructor should have controlled the peanut gallery more.

bburgi

Post by bburgi »

I liked the fact that everything was included in my class (photos, official fingerprints, paperwork... everything). Made it very convenient.

Instructors were very knowledgable, and interacted well with the class- that went a LONG way to making the day seem shorter than it was. They did a very good job giving people the confidence they needed that they could do well on the shooting portion- several people were nervous about it going into the shoot, but everyone did well in the end.

No refreshments were provided (that would have been nice), but snack and drink machines were on hand and breaks were plentiful.

OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

I'm brave, I'll go first.

I didn't like the folding metal chairs, too hard to sit on for long periods.
No tables to write on, had to do it on your leg.

Poor organization for the pictures and finger prints. Same for the shooting.
Because of the mix of revolvers and SA, things didn't workout right and a few people had to shoot during the lunch break.

This was a place that has been at it for awhile.

I think they should tell people to keep quiet and write down any questions they have.
1) The questions would likely be answered during the class in an orderly manner anyway.
2) At least require people to raise thier hand and wait to be recognized to speak.
Most opinions are just that, opinions. I paid my money to hear the facts.

Comfort
Organization
Mouth running by idiots

If those things are right, I'd be a happy camper!

Regards, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

barres

Post by barres »

My biggest problem with the class I took was that the instructor seemed unprepared to have students that were prepared for the class. There were a couple of people who had obviously already read the handbook that comes with the application before showing up for class (all new CHL'ers, BTW). They weren't know-it-alls who didn't really know anything. They knew the material and weren't shy when the instructor asked questions. We all knew who two of the students would be to raise their hand when a question was asked. Many times it was only those two.

I'm not saying that those students did anything wrong, but the instructor seemed to get a little annoyed that they always knew the answer, and, often, no one else did. I guess that boils down to controlling the peanut gallery.

My other gripe was that I was told the class "includes everything but the photos." I was annoyed when I had to leave after the class and get the forms notarized myself and get the fingerprints taken myself. I was able to get them done, but had to take some time off from work to do so. I guess my definition of everything and theirs isn't the same. :???:
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

The class was good in general. There were a few folks who seemed a little trigger happy in their answers to the instructors questions, this was no fault of the instructor. In my opinion, not enough time was devoted to deadly force statutes (applicable examples would be great) and non-violent conflict resolution (or whatever you choose to call it) was discussed very little.

JLaw

Syntax360

Post by Syntax360 »

The seats were my biggest gripe. REAL uncomfortable. Other than that, I didn't like the idiot in the back who kept asking about acceptable outcomes to scenarios that involved cops pulling him over just because he's black and others that involved driving through "hick towns where people don't like black folks". I really wish the instructor would have just thrown him out immediately instead of pausing every 5 minutes and addressing that man's concerns about racial profiling and such.

I wish the class was shorter, but I don't guess you guys can do anything about that :lol:

Piney

Post by Piney »

The class I took was well run. No "peanut gallery" issues as the instructor politely took control of that. The paperwork processes went well.

I would have preferd to have the fingerprinting done there on site instead of at the SO to save me a trip. The instructor's responce regarding that was that they couldnt do it as well as the SO staff and didnt want the card rejected at the DPS -- fair enuf.

He did say that at that point, none of his students had their apps rejected due to an error-- enuf said !!

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

The only think I did not like about the class is.......I wish the training were longer :shock:

I am glad that the class can be taken in a day and I am sure that most people find that very convenient, but I can't help but wish that the instructor's were given more time to teach. It is a tough job to relay that much information in a few hours and I would not want to take the responsibility.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Crossfire »

jbirds1210 wrote:The only think I did not like about the class is.......I wish the training were longer :shock:
Man, that is the FIRST time I have ever heard that!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

My class was held in the instructor's private home with twelve other people. We were in the den, so we didn't have a table to use as a writing surface. That was a bit uncomfortable, but it's my only real gripe. There isn't much he could do about that.
He DID take care of everything. A lady came by to do our fingerprints and notarize our documents. Another person came by to take our pictures. When we went to the range, he made everyone shoot semiautomatic, so that we would be qualified to shoot both. He said, "if you didn't bring a semi auto, I'll loan you one for the test."
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

spud

Post by spud »

All of it. It was Bad. No usefull info, all we went over was how to get off if you shoot someone.

Plus I dont see how anyone can get their CHL if they dont know how to hold a handgun. Or load it for that matter.

Yes I know its everyones right to defend theirself and own a gun, But, That dosent mean that just because you can that you should.

Overall, Very bad class. Oh, Also the instructor tripple checked my packet. And what do ya know? 1 missed sig and 1 missing page!

If I hear anyone ask about who I used I will warn them via PM. No point in bashing them.

All in all, Dont go for the cheapist CHL class. You will get just that.

bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

Pluses:

Very comfortable room, leather armchairs for all students.
All in one package
Numerous breaks, including two that could be used for range practice
Careful review of completed packages

Minuses:

Almost all of instruction consisted of watching tapes with
very little discussion

Dave B.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”