CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RebelKangaroo
Posts in topic: 2

Moving while waiting?

Post by RebelKangaroo »

Hey all.

I've been looking around here for a while trying to find an answer to this, but so far I haven't found it.

Anyway, I've been putting off getting my CHL because I'll be moving in the next 5 months. As I understand it, the wait so far is exceeding 6 months. My question is, if I submit my application, and then move while waiting for it, will that effect the time it takes to get to me? Or is that even something I can change while its still in the mysterious queue that it warps into when you submit it?

Would it just be better to wait until I've moved to get it?

I'm kind of leaning towards waiting, but that just adds 4 more months before I can carry concealed.

koolaid
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Moving while waiting?

Post by koolaid »

I had the same question a little while back. There is a separate spot on the application for a mailing address. I just put down my wife's work since I bounce around to different locations frequently for my own job.

I'm still not sure how this affects your thirty day window to submit a change of address though, if for instance you move two months before your license is actually issued. Hopefully someone else can clarify that.
01/02/2010 - Plastic

hheremtp

Post by hheremtp »

RebelKangaroo,

I have seen several members as of late get their plastic within a couple of months. From what I have heard, DPS has managed to clear the back log and processing applications is not taking as long now. You should be able to get your plastic before you move.
Steve

Topic author
RebelKangaroo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RebelKangaroo »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Next question: how long does it normally take to get a new piece of plastic after you change your address?

Mikel

Post by Mikel »

I would not wait. You should get it forwarded by USPS, along with the rest of your mail

randomoutburst

Post by randomoutburst »

My hubby's app was processed in 24 days and many others have gotten theirs around the month mark, so I wouldn't worry about long processing times at this time. Personally, I would go ahead and apply. Worst case scenario, you have to get it forwarded to your new address and apply for an address change, just as you will have to do with your driver's license.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”