Fingerprint "lines"

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
kyreb
Posts in topic: 1

Fingerprint "lines"

Post by kyreb »

The tech doing the printing voiced concern over some lines in my wife's prints. Said he could draft a letter to go with the application to explain the situation.

To do so, I'll have to contact the guy and drive about an hour round trip to get the letter.

Is this worthwhile? Anybody here experience problems with prints?

progun47

Post by progun47 »

If I were you I'd go back and get another set made, when I sent my packet in they kicked the prints back because of not "enough" ink. I then had to get reprinted and send the new ones back which delayed my lic about 3 weeks.
"People cannot be effectually oppressed and enslaved, who are not FIRST DISARMED" Texas Supreme Court 1859 (Cockrum vs State)

"Son, you will die with the hammer down on that weapon." Jeff Cooper, Gunsite ranch 6/18/84

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

You might also want to see if you can find a place that'll electronically do your prints. I've heard talk on here that some places will do them for CHL.

My fianceé has to get her fingerprints taken for her teaching license. She always does them electronically because her prints come up "weird" somehow the "normal" way, and get rejected.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

TxFire

Post by TxFire »

Finger prints for a teaching certificate in Texas? That is a new one for me.

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

TxFire wrote:Finger prints for a teaching certificate in Texas? That is a new one for me.
Same here - and my wife JUST got her teaching stuff done. I think they do a background check to make sure they aren't hiring known sex offenders but I don't think prints are a part of that. At least not at every district.

lrb111
Posts in topic: 4

Identix

Post by lrb111 »

The electronic Identix site is at http://www.identix.com/iis/locations_tx.html
I don't know if there are others doing the electronic prints.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

ShootingStar

Post by ShootingStar »

kyreb,

One of my students was told that she had a problem with "scars" due to lancing her finger once or twice daily. She has diabetes and has to check her blood sugar level.

A letter was prepared for her by the LEO doing the prints, but she still got rejected. She then used Fingerprint Applicant Service of Texas (FAST) at the Pearland location. They told her that she would get the prints in the mail in about a week or she could pay $30 for express service and "get them sooner". (I won't comment on this as I may say something I shouldn't.) They should be able to print them out when they are taken, but then you might not opt for their "express" service.

At FAST, she was told that "she had no prints" and that about 1% of the population has the same problem. I sent an email into the DPS asking what people are supposed to do if they can't get clear prints. I'll let you know when I get a response. Sounds like a future legislative fix to me.

I would recommend getting them scanned at a FAST location if you want to be sure. It'll cost you another $10, but if you want your permit without delay, it might be a good investment. Below is the link:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... dentix.pdf

Though I'm an instructor, I don't do fingerprinting and am not presenting myself as an expert in fingerprinting. However, I have had two students who sent in letters written by a LEO explaining the situation with their prints. In both cases the prints were still rejected. My gut feeling is that if you're one of the 1% who have difficult to read prints, it still may not help you, but if the problem is due to human error like too much/too little ink then it would probably work for you. FWIW...

I'll still let you know what I find out....

-SS
A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. A Republic is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision. - Benjamin Franklin

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Quote: " The electronic Identix site is at http://www.identix.com/iis/locations_tx.html
I don't know if there are others doing the electronic prints. "

+1 on this method - especially under the described circumstances. They have an exclusive contract with DPS to do them for $9.95 per person - and are (supposedly) to be held to a 98% or better axxeptance rate. Once Identix got the kinks worked out of initial set-up and training their people in Dallas, Ft. Worth and McKinney, all of my students have reported back with positive results.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

Greybeard wrote:Quote: " The electronic Identix site is at http://www.identix.com/iis/locations_tx.html
I don't know if there are others doing the electronic prints. "

+1 on this method - especially under the described circumstances. They have an exclusive contract with DPS to do them for $9.95 per person - and are (supposedly) to be held to a 98% or better axxeptance rate. Once Identix got the kinks worked out of initial set-up and training their people in Dallas, Ft. Worth and McKinney, all of my students have reported back with positive results.
That's good to hear. They were real new here, and i would not send my wife over there for her prints. Sent her to the Sheriff's dept. instead.

They also operate prison facilities for the feds, so they run a lot of prints through there and they are very good.
They catch the smallest mistakes generally and patch them over immediately for a reprint.
Ø resist

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KBCraig »

lrb111 wrote: They also operate prison facilities for the feds
Say what?

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

KBCraig wrote:
Say what?
The Sheriff's department is at the "law enforcement center". They contract beds to the feds. I don't know how many, but about half the beds are used by the feds.
Ø resist

romcneil

re: Fingerprints

Post by romcneil »

When I applied for my chl my fingerprints (taken by a PD trained instructor) were rejected. I then went to the
TxDPS office to be reprinted - and was rejected again. The third time I went to the security office for the federal facility that I worked at to have them taken electronically. Two different people there tried to get acceptable fingerprints (several times each) before they said that the prints were the best that they could get (something about a "delta" bring to far towards my fingernails); the supervisor offered to write a letter to submit with the prints, and this set was accepted. So, if the prints appear clear, I would not hesitate to let the agency write a cover letter for you.

Bob

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KBCraig »

lrb111 wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
Say what?
The Sheriff's department is at the "law enforcement center". They contract beds to the feds. I don't know how many, but about half the beds are used by the feds.
Okay, those are probably INS beds. Or ICE. Or CBP. Or whatever the heck alphabet agency is now in charge of illegal immigrants.

I don't know that this company actually operates any prison facilities. I haven't heard their name, and I do stay current on this issue.

Kevin

PWK

Post by PWK »

kyreb, My prints are worn down because of gardening. I just can’t seem to get at those little weeds with gloves on. My instructor wrote a letter stating that I garden, i.e. the worn prints and I sent it in with the application. All went well for me. You might see if they will mail the letter to your wife to include with her application.

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

KBCraig wrote:
lrb111 wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
Say what?
Okay, those are probably INS beds. Or ICE. Or CBP. Or whatever the heck alphabet agency is now in charge of illegal immigrants.

I don't know that this company actually operates any prison facilities. I haven't heard their name, and I do stay current on this issue.

Kevin
Kev, here's the link to the Ector County Sheriff.
http://www.ectorcountysheriff.us/
You might be able to make more sense of it.
It's a newer facility, and they sub-contract the detention center out.
They have a lot of clients in there from the US Marshall's.

The old jail downtown is now a state level women's prison.

We have a full blown ICE detention in Big Spring.
I used to keep up with this stuff when i was a counselor, but i've been out of it over 10 years now.
Ø resist

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”