When not to draw

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Scott Murray
Posts in topic: 1

When not to draw

Post by Scott Murray »

We know that we're not law enforcement. We're not to display our weapons except when necessary to protect ourselves or others. Here's a funny example of a fellow that didn't understand that. Of course it appears he didn't have a CHL either. The class may have helped...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/biz ... 72369.html

ANN ARBOR, Mich. — A marriage-minded man ran naked through his neighborhood, trying to show his hesitant girlfriend that taking risks is important.

He got more than he bargained for when he ended up being chased and shot at.

The couple were discussing marriage early Wednesday when the woman said she wasn't sure if she was ready, according to Ann Arbor police reports.

After running naked across the street, the man ducked into some bushes when he spotted a couple walking.

A 28-year-old man spotted the bushes rustling and bare feet underneath, and drew his .40-caliber handgun, and ordered the naked man to come out, according to police.

The naked suitor ran away, but the armed man gave chase and eventually fired a shot, police said. The naked man fell to the ground, suffering minor injuries.

Police arrested the gunman on charges of aggravated assault and carrying a concealed weapon. The naked man was not arrested.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

What a great lesson. We have often discussed the fact that things often are not as they appear at first blush. Gunfire in a crowded shopping mall full of CHL's and off duty LEO's was one scenario, but here is a real event that shows the combination of an idiot with an over-zealous citizen can be dangerous. I'm sure he thought he had a fleeing rapist - he didn't. :eek6

Chas.

progun47

Post by progun47 »

God must have loved fools, cause he made so many of them, in this case BOTH of them
"People cannot be effectually oppressed and enslaved, who are not FIRST DISARMED" Texas Supreme Court 1859 (Cockrum vs State)

"Son, you will die with the hammer down on that weapon." Jeff Cooper, Gunsite ranch 6/18/84

revjen45

Post by revjen45 »

Since the guy was naked it should have been obvious that he wasn't armed, and since he fled it should have been obvious that he was not attacking. A slap in the head and no desert for the shooter.
Better to perish in struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.

Diode

Post by Diode »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:What a great lesson. We have often discussed the fact that things often are not as they appear at first blush. Gunfire in a crowded shopping mall full of CHL's and off duty LEO's was one scenario, but here is a real event that shows the combination of an idiot with an over-zealous citizen can be dangerous. I'm sure he thought he had a fleeing rapist - he didn't. :eek6

Chas.
Something like this reminds me of how grateful I am that I was instructed by friends here and close to me, you do not draw a weapon until you can say you were defending you life or others around you. Last resort has been pounded into me! Chas, TX, longtooth and others....you are very wise and I and thankful I have listened to you.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I am humbled by the company you put me in. That is sure one of the greatest compliments I have ever had. Thank you.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Skipper5

Post by Skipper5 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:What a great lesson. We have often discussed the fact that things often are not as they appear at first blush. Gunfire in a crowded shopping mall full of CHL's and off duty LEO's was one scenario, but here is a real event that shows the combination of an idiot with an over-zealous citizen can be dangerous. I'm sure he thought he had a fleeing rapist - he didn't. :eek6

Chas.
a very good lesson...who are the actors if you walk into a situation (Good Guys vs who is/are BGs); how many involved, etc....
CHl holders are not LEOs period.
However, I find no where that it is the sole responsibility of the Dallas Police Deprtment to protect me, my family, my home!
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

Skipper5

Post by Skipper5 »

Diode wrote:

Chas.
Something like this reminds me of how grateful I am that I was instructed by friends here and close to me, you do not draw a weapon until you can say you were defending you life or others around you. Last resort has been pounded into me! Chas, TX, longtooth and others....you are very wise and I and thankful I have listened to you.
Jim...I agree with you so much on this point!...We have some fantastic 'instructors' in our forums!! Sooooooo true!!!
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I’m not trying to defend the shooter in this situation, but I think his situation provides yet another learning opportunity for us all.

I’d like to touch on another aspect of this event; our natural instinct to pursue. We see it in animals all the time. Just watch a dog or cat stalking something. Movement is slow and deliberate, sometimes bordering on being mechanical. But let the mouse, squirrel, or other prey run and the chase is on.

This natural instinct isn’t limited to animals; many people experience it as well. Some call it the warrior mind-set, some say it’s part of the fight-or-flight response and there are other labels. Regardless of the title, this concept in its simplest form deals with a natural instinct many people have to pursue something or someone that flees. Hunters experience it, as do soldiers and law enforcement officers. Part of tactical training deals with learning to control that natural instinct, but you cannot develop a true appreciation for the phenomenon until you experience an adrenalin dump under those circumstances. That’s when every cell in your body says “get it, get it now!!�

How do we learn to control this instinct? It’s relatively simple - realize it exists and tell yourself ahead of time “I’m not going to respond impulsively.� Let’s not lull ourselves in to complacency by saying we’d never be so stupid as to chase a naked guy, no matter the circumstances. At this point in my life I wouldn’t, but I have in the past. (I don’t mean chasing a naked guy, but things equally stupid.) We’ve discussed a preparedness concept in many threads on the forum: Decide now where you will draw the line in the sand meaning we should decide now what it will take for us to use deadly force; don’t think about this for the first time as you are drawing on someone in fear. Perhaps we should add a corollary - decide now what rabbits you won’t chase!

Often I find myself wondering, “What was that guy thinking!?� In truth, many times he wasn’t thinking at all, he was reacting instinctively. We tend to think in terms of not pushing the “go� button, but sometimes an adrenalin dump pushes it for us. When this happens, we’d better be ready to push the “Stop� button, or risk playing the lead roll in the headline “Cotton Chases Another Streaker.�

Regards,
Chas.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

+1 Charles. And for many for us age has answered the question for us of "what we will persue". For those who can persue. May be better to let your fingers do the walking & the LEO do the chasing.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”