Using public restrooms while carrying

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
texasflyfisher
Posts in topic: 2

Using public restrooms while carrying

Post by texasflyfisher »

Alright, I am hoping I receive my CHL soon as I am approaching 90 days and so I now have a couple of holsters (an IWB and OWB) to carry my Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub-compact. I have been carrying it around the house to get used to it. I also have a good, stiff gun belt. So far so good. The OWB is the most comfortable and the IWB is not bad at all either.

All is well until I go to the bathroom and unfasten the belt. It is hard to urinate standing up while trying to keep my pants up and avoid the holster and pistol from showing from under my shirt. I am thinking this will take some conscious thought now when walking into a public restrooms while carrying. So do y'all always head for a stall if its available or is there a trick to keeping your weapon concealed at the urinal?

Warning! First person that utters a pee or urinal joke gets to not carry for a week! :nono: :lol:

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Using public restrooms while carrying

Post by mr surveyor »

hhmmmmm.... the zipper works for me
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

DrBillC

Post by DrBillC »

Actually, you might want to consider not using urinals at all. Your back is turned to the rest of the room, you're not as aware as you could be, and in a vulnerable position. Many self-defense people suggest using only stalls for these reasons.
And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. (Colossians 3:17)

mikeintexas

Post by mikeintexas »

shoulder harness? or suspenders?

I could go on, but that would get the thread locked!! :smilelol5:

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

Pocket carry works for me.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
texasflyfisher
Posts in topic: 2

Post by texasflyfisher »

pbwalker wrote:some good discussion here

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... t=restroom
Thanks! I did do a search before I started this topic but used the word "bathroom" rather than "restroom" and therefore missed them.

Seems like unzipping just the fly is the answer. Being a fisherman, if I can pull down my waders to pee while in thigh deep water, unzipping just the fly while carrying should be an easier task.

casingpoint
Posts in topic: 3

Post by casingpoint »

Whatever you wind up doing to facilitate the issue, avoid taking a wide stance in a public restroom. :mrgreen:

.45mac.40

Post by .45mac.40 »

:tiphat:
Texasflyfisher... !
Well, we're answering a man's question here, so ... here we go !
I always use a stall, just in case, whether or not, the belt buckle comes loose, undone... whether standing or sitting, number 1 eeze or number 2 eezes.
Mostly, what I do when unbuckling IS, tuck the end of the belt, back around and thru the belt loop/tab... that'll hold your belt
from slipping outta' the rest of the loops.
Or try carrying the holster on the buckle side of your belt.
Aim true ! :biggrinjester:
Mac :fire .40 >>>>>> %%%
Retired US Army.
EDC: Sig Sauer 1911 UC .45 acp

bobbyb0322

Post by bobbyb0322 »

I always use a stall as well. That way nobody can see it and its harder to get to me in a vulnerable situation .

dubya

Post by dubya »

Russell wrote:I honestly think that's being a little paranoid
That depends on many environmental factors. Without question situational awareness should be different in Fair Park at Midnight and The Grand Kempenski at Noon. But, Barney Franks could show at Noon! :shock:

I'm surprised we don't hear of more sucker punch robberies in heads!
JW, Sons of the Republic of Texas
NRA, TSRA

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

When Standing:
As others have said, I typically use a stall for the added privacy. This is especially true when I'm using a smaller/shorter cover garment (i.e. t-shirt vs. sport coat). One technique is use is to leave the belt buckled and just undo the zipper. That wasn't something I ever did until I started carrying, but I'm finding to be quite convenient nowadays. Another option is to undo the belt and support the pistol with my hand, typically by grasping the belt near the holster or by using an open palm to press the gun against my hip. This leaves my weak hand free to take care of business. The trouble here is that it can be difficult to tuck my shirt back in with only one free hand. A slight variation on this technique is to use my elbow instead of my palm to hold the pistol in place, thus leaving both hands free.

When Sitting:
You'll definitely want a stall for this one. Beyond that, I don't have much advice as I'm still trying to figure it out myself. I'm always concerned the guy next to me will look under the divider and see my pistol resting inside my pants around my ankles. Selecting the last stall in the row (so that I have no neighbor on my gun side) can help mitigate this, but that's not always an option. Also I typically drop my pants first, then my shorts so that the latter lands on top and can be used to help hide the pistol. You can also be creative here - use a handkerchief, some TP, or whatever else you have handy to create some cover. Others have suggested removing your pistol and setting it on the back of the toilet or on top of the TP dispenser. This may or may not aid in concealment, but I always hate to unholster my gun, especially in public. (What if I drop it?)

USA1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by USA1 »

TrueFlog , you have really put some serious thought into this subject..and for that , i commend you. :tiphat:
thanks to you trials and tribulations , all of us newbies have been steered down right path.

Thank You :txflag:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”